TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2017, 03:30 PM   #21
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

And next time you buy, be sure to buy in an area that doesn't have an HOA! I was very careful about that because of my ham radio station.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #22
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapopper View Post
Take the wheels off. Lower it to the ground. This will drop the ac below the fence and out of site.
This has been batted around as a possible idea. Has anyone ever done this? is is pretty easy to deal with putting the wheels back on. how about lifting the camper on the jacks? If I got the drill, would that process be a pain?

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:06 AM   #23
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Or even a HF camouflage tarp over the AC unit. I have the same HOA restriction but have approval sice it is not really visible from the street (unless in "mobile guest room" mode.

Can you see the TM in the photo, is right in front of you.
That is AWESOME. I am trying to figure out how that would work in my instance (given that I have virtually no vegetation on that side of the house. Perhaps if I plant some bushes or something?

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
Old 05-26-2017, 01:31 PM   #24
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

How about some plastic bushes that you simply remove and replace when it is time to move the camper? Mount them on a board that mounts or hangs on (or just below) the top of the wall.

I don't think I would remove and replace the wheels. You have to jack up the camper, open it, remove the wheel covers, remove the wheels, lower the camper back down below its original level, and store the wheels somewhere. What a pain! And it gets you only about 8 inches. Is that enough for your need?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #25
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
How about some plastic bushes that you simply remove and replace when it is time to move the camper? Mount them on a board that mounts or hangs on (or just below) the top of the wall.

I don't think I would remove and replace the wheels. You have to jack up the camper, open it, remove the wheel covers, remove the wheels, lower the camper back down below its original level, and store the wheels somewhere. What a pain! And it gets you only about 8 inches. Is that enough for your need?

Bill
8 inches would be enough, I think. I will have to measure. As for plastic bushes, as my HoA so kindly pointed out (when I suggested a decorative arched RV gate), it isn't just the view from the street that I need to be worried about, it is also what my neighbors can see (to the side and from the back).

While true, it is likely a hassle to remove/replace the wheels, and with no experience to suggest otherwise, it is likely less so than storing it off-site, going and getting it to set up to go camping, collapsing it back down, going camping, coming home, setting it back up to empty/prep for storage, collapsing it back down and taking it to storage.

Recall that I selected the Dodge Durango as my tow vehicle. So long as I have 5 - 6 passengers, there is little to know storage in the TV for stuff, which means I have to pack most the stuff for camping in the camper.

to your other point (raising my wall by 1 block) I would have to do that on the front block wall (not too bad), the side block wall shared with 2 neighbors), and at least some of the back block wall (which if I did not do all of it might look fairly odd). So, if I did this, I would likely have to do the other side (would look weird without, and the other front wall. Then, to have mine done and not the other neighbors, would likely stand out. Also, I think my CCC&Rs said that we could not raise the wall, or perhaps city code? would have to investigate that. (likely cost prohibitive as well, though not sure).

I was thinking that I could lower the side yard elevation to reduce the overall height, but anything that changes the natural drainage of the yard becomes a liability. Plus, I would not want my tires sitting in puddles (if/when we got a monsoon rain). I have someone that is supposed to come by and help me determine if this is feasible or not.

I think my best option is to move, though we were not prepared to do this until my youngest middle daughter was out of high school (next year).

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
Old 05-26-2017, 03:51 PM   #26
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Putting up some faux foliage to block the view of the camper might be the easiest and cheaper than adding to a brick wall. Found this link; which might give you some ideas. I saw a similar thing on HGTV on an A/C cover.
Hope you can find a good cheap answer for your problem.

http://www.hooksandlattice.com/outdo...oo-forest.html
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #27
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo628 View Post
my youngest middle daughter
Hmmm, that term confuses me.....

But otherwise, I was going to post earlier that I hope you are working with your HOA to ensure you come to a mutual agreement about what will work to satisfy them - although it may not ever be possible. But best of luck on that!

Meanwhile, here, I just worry about making sure there is zero food left in the TM, at all, ever, as long as the bear are awake. They did a fine job ripping the bumper right off a neighbors car, and pulling the exterior of the passenger door out and away from the window - bag of feed corner in the trunk, and half a left over sandwich in the car - they can smell food a mile away....
Old 05-26-2017, 06:01 PM   #28
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoMiPa View Post
they can smell food a mile away....
One silly mistake we won't make again is to use Dr. Bonner's Mint Soap when sleeping in a tent in bear country. The bear came by, pushed his nose into the tent wall and right up to my head, gave it a few good sniffs, then right up to Valerie and gave her head a few good sniffs, and then went away. The kid probably didn't smell quite so nice and pepperminty, he didn't get a sniff. We just laughed. But it's scent-free next time.

When I camped at Mammoth, an RV was there with the door torn off to get at the cooler inside, and the lid of the cooler torn off. In bear country we only use the 'fridge when we're on the road, and transfer everything to a cooler in the campsite locker.

Bears can recognize coolers in your car. I've been a few places where it was OK to have a cooler in your car, but you had to hide the cooler.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:09 PM   #29
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePerens View Post
One silly mistake we won't make again is to use Dr. Bonner's Mint Soap when sleeping in a tent in bear country.
Ha ha ha - I never would have thought of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePerens View Post
Bears can recognize coolers in your car.
They are smart - which makes me wonder where the expression 'smarter than the average bear' comes from. The stories I could tell of what they do here to get to bird feeders in the spring..... Amazing how they can figure anything out.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #30
klpauba

Instead of removing the wheels, how 'bout digging a couple of trenches that match the distance between the tires. Kind of a reverse ramp where the top of the trailer would get closer to the ground as you back it up into the trenches. You might get 12" or so but you could leave the wheels on.
TM: 2005 2720SL -- lift kit, 15" Maxxis, LEDs, Husky ejack, GenPro soft start, 2300W gen, "H-Bridge", 1.44 cf Edgestar frig/freezer, 2xGC2, 1KW Inverter w/auto xfer switch, Trimetric Batt Monitor, 300W Solar (1 glass & 2 flex panels), EP Solar MPPT, Thetford Curve
TV: 2021 F-150 PowerBoost XLT Hybrid -- 7.2 kW Onboard Generator Option
Previous TV: 2012 Traverse -- "Stockton" 24V Boost Device

Map of where we've camped in our TM:
http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/IAMNMONEsm.jpg
klpauba is offline   Reply With Quote