TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #1
JohnSpain

Default Hail Damage Discount?

Hello All,

I am considering the purchase of a 2011 3124KB from a dealer-he does not carry Trailmanor. It has some moderate hail damage to the rear shell and strangely no damage to the front shell. The dents do not penetrate the aluminum and did not harm the A/C or vent covers-the dints are strictly cosmetic. Otherwise, the unit is in excellent condition and looks to have been garage kept. My plan is to keep for 3 to 4 years, sell it, and hopefully find a good used 3124 Silver Trail model which my wife and I really like.

I would like to get opinions about what the price should be discounted for the damage. I did a search for "hail damage" and I quickly read through the results, but I did not see this issue addressed directly. I am aware that the damage can not be repaired do to the nature of the unique construction and it certainly does not affect the use of the trailer. My main concern is how it will affect the resale value when I want to sell it.

Thanks, John
JohnSpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:33 AM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

"My main concern is how it will affect the resale value when I want to sell it"

Your comment reflects the basis for resale. Its affecting you currently. The unit is used. What I think is a good price on a unit that has some cosmetic issues is not relative to what you want to pay for it. You don't mention the asking price so its impossible to suggest you take for example $1k off for hail dimples. Guy could be asking $10k and you think its worth $12k without hail. There you go, $2k off. Maybe the dealer has already factored the hail damage in already? What do you think the unit is worth? with or without hail?

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
davlin
TrailManor Master

I concur that it's simply not worth fixing cosmetic hail damage. My advice would be to see what NADA Retail is for that particular TM, and then use the hail damage as part of your bargaining strategy. The dealer should understand that YOU will have to start at a lower asking price when you get ready to sell it.

In the end, the dealer will want the most money you will agree to, and you will want the least. That's the nature of the beast.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

What I learned last year is that body putty (bondo, etc) will add too much weight and the torsion bars can't support that. So the repair is to completely replace the shell. That is why we took the settlement and bought a new trailer rather than repair.
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
moaboy

Another approach, depending on your relationship with your insurance rep. is to ask him or her what kind of payment for damages might have been allowed. Because some where along the line somebody pocketed the insurance money minus their deductible. So the seller got less for it plus getting what they got paid by the insurance company per the hail damage. The dealer, no doubt factored this damaged RV in what they allowed for trade in or if they bought it out rght. So all depends how much this TM got devalued and what somebody is willing to pay for it with the cosmetic damage. Could be the potential of a really good deal, kinda like one big scratch and dent sale item.
Good luck and start low...let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
JohnSpain

Thanks everyone for your comments. A few more facts: unit originally priced at $22,900, but no mention of hail damage in ad. After some phone negotiating, price lowered to $19,900 and still no mention of damage and they were holding firm here. As the unit is approximately 300 miles away, and I have not seen it in person, I asked for additional pictures (already had about 12 from ad) and noticed damage. I really do not think that Salesman I was dealing with knew that there was hail damage, but I find it hard to believe that no one at the dealership did.

Moaboy, good point about going the insurance route--I'll contact my agent tomorrow and see what he has to offer.

Again, my goal is to determine what is a "fair" allowance for the damage, as I want to be protected when I resell it, and I want to be able to substantiate my starting offer.

Thanks, John
JohnSpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Without looking at other 2011 3124KB models for sale, and at what price, my question to you would be - Do you consider $19,900 a fair price for the unit, forgetting about hail damage? If so, buy it (if your insurance agent has no problems with it). Since no one noticed it, it seems to be minor. My unit had hail damage, but nothing that was close to punching through. The only time anyone could have noticed (no one did) was if they were on the tongue, looking across the roof. It is simply cosmetic. If it is up where no one can see it, does it really exist (if a tree falls, and no one is around to hear it...)?

While no one likes hail damage, if it has not impacted the integrity of the surface, it has not harmed the unit. If no one can see it, it doesn't even affect it cosmetically, practically speaking.

All that said, I found a similar unit in Golden, CO, for $18,995. Has all the windows, awning, hanging cabinets. Not saying to travel here to get it, but look to see if it is equipped the same as what you are looking at.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hi John & welcome to the TM Forum, I agree with LoveToCamp, don't get too anxious to purchase one that might not be the right unit for you. Especially if you're only planning on keeping it a few years. Be patient and you'll find the right deal. It took us six months to find ours and it was worth the wait.

Good luck with your search

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #9
rongreen

Default Hail Damage Insurance Settlement

Hi All,

We have a 2007 3023 which sustained considerable hail damage last November in Kansas. Prosser RV in Wisconsin provided us with a repair estimate that included replacing both roof shells, for a total of roughly $12,000.00. My insurance company, State Farm, valued the trailer at $10,000.00 and declared it a total loss. We told them we intended to continue to use it, so they discounted their payment to us by the amount of the deductible and also the scrap value. We ended up with a check for about $6,500.00. I replaced the shattered vent and Air Conditioner covers and we are continuing on happy as two larks can be.

We have installed a 400 watt roof-mounted solar system with a 3000 watt inverter and an Automatic Transfer Switch. We love that system!

If we ever do sell the trailer I expect we will take a much larger loss on the solar system (paid $8,000.00 for the parts and installation) than we will due to the hail damage.

Just my two cents.

Ron Green
Macomb, Il.
rongreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:50 PM   #10
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Hmmm. 400 watts of solar? Sounds like it may cover most of the hail damage! Great way to "repair" the damage - just hide it, and protect it from more damage. Seems like a good way to go, to me!

With 400 watts, you should be able to run a fair amount of appliances. Or, get your batteries back up to almost full, even in shade or cloudy days. I have 200w, and batteries are full almost every afternoon, even on overcast days, or when we are in relatively-shaded sites. I camp high in the Rockies, so even "shaded" there is not as shaded as Oregon or Washington shade, though.

Glad you were able to get some settlement for the hail damage. As long as it doesn't leak, even over time, then it is not really a problem.

Happy camping!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote