TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #1
Devans

Default Has anyone ever removed a bathroom?

We have a new to us 2013 2417 KB Sport and it came with a bathroom.
I'm sure it sounds crazy but we would like to remove the bathroom and have some more space. We'd build a small bench on the wall for stepping into the bed also. We just don't like the idea of the added humidity from the shower and the idea of using the potty in the trailer is not appealing. We don't dry camp and even if we did we'd shower outside in a shower tent (our preference). Our last trailer (a popup) didn't have a bathroom and we loved it.

The TM has a wet bath with a little door outside where you empty the potty.
Has anyone done this type of mod? or something similar?
Old 01-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #2
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Well....

When we got our 2417 Sport in 2012, I didn't want the bathroom, for the same reasons. We came from a popup, and seemed to do just fine without. However, DW insisted that we get the bathroom, so she would not have to go outside at night anymore. Salesman also pointed out the resale aspect.

So, I relented, and we got the bathroom. Glad we did! The shower stall has a window in it, and the Fantastic fan is just outside of the bathroom. A big factor in humidity is taking Navy showers, instead of long showers. Not much humidity is created by wetting-down and turning off the water, then rinsing all soap and shampoo in a quick effort. I use less than a gallon of water when I take my shower. DW may use 2 gallons, as she has more hair to rinse. Even with shore water, your water heater is only 6 gal (may be 3, as I don't recall when they changed), so long showers for more than one person at a time are not likely. Also, if you have the "11 gallon" gray tank, it is only 8 gallons, so you would be keeping the gray valve open while showering, or at least dump before second person got in (if you are not doing Navy showers).

All that aside, while you could remove the bathroom, you would have to put in new wall covering and flooring. You would also need to cap the 3 water lines and the drain. At least the cassette toilet is less of a chore to remove than a recirculating, I imagine.

We use a folding 2-step unit to get into our bed, and it works great. It can fold and be set on the bed during the day, so there is no obstruction in front of the drawers.

I go back to the resale aspect - if you have removed a bathroom, it will look like a major change. Buyers may wonder what went wrong to cause you to remove the bathroom. Doubt they will believe "we didn't want indoor plumbing, so we took it out".

Just my thoughts.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:47 AM   #3
oldstick
TrailManor Master

I am with LoveToCamp. A lot of work and remodeling involved and a good chance you might regret doing it at some point, even if only when you are ready to sell the camper.

Plus you already have the setup that a lot of owners want, which is a cassette type toilet vs. the standard recirculating potty. Sound like it could even be a factory installed toilet with convenient outside access to the tank.

I really don't see the shower causing any humidity build up issues. These units are not sealed up that tight and that is what the bathroom fan is for anyway. The shower is too convenient for certain uses. My hair gets very oily and I have to shampoo at a minimum of first thing every morning, sometimes more. If it's not hot weather when I am sweating a lot, I often just lean over the shower for a quick shampoo vs. packing up to the bathhouse for a full shower.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #4
davlin
TrailManor Master

Here's what a 2417 looks like without a bathroom.
Attached Images

2013 F150 w/5.0 V8
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #5
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Oh, come on Davlin! At least show a popup!
Old 01-31-2016, 07:26 AM   #6
Devans

LOL thanks for the feedback... We finally got it set up in the backyard it's growing on me. We had camped once right after buying it and didn't set up the bathroom. It was just this big awkward box that was in the way.

We're going to go on a few trips and see how we can make it work. I think the bathroom will work much better set up even if we don't use it for it's intended purpose. It's a handy place to change since our kids are teenagers and we're not a "naked" household. That's what we call families that are comfortable walking around each other in the buff (or almost buff). We won't have to tromp off to the bathhouse or kick everyone else out.

It's really quite roomy. I was reading someone else's post of how they wanted to change their dry bath into a wet one to get some more space in the shower.

We do have the factory one with the door on the outside to empty the cassette. We talked about it today and if we go on a few trips and still want it gone we'll start looking for one that came that way. Don't know if we'll find it but it's a whole lot less work and I have a sneaking suspicion we'll love it once we get used to it.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I think you will like it, once you use it a few times.

I had a friend and his teen daughter join my one night, and she used the bathroom to change, also. Much more convenient!

Tags
shower, toilet