TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
Jdr999

Default Available storage in a 2720

Hi guys,

I'm very interested to see exactly how much storage space is available on a regular TM 2720. If anyone has any pictures or information I'd appreciate it!

There are 6 of us (2 adults/4 kids) so the dual beds plus dinette seem like enough sleeping quarters, as long as we can find places for our gear. My garage has about 19'3" so I think a 2720 with a swing hitch would make it in.

We usually carry:

Clothes for 6, linens, towels, shoes, jackets, etc.
Pantry of food
Perishables and drinks
Weber Q-120 grill
6 camp chairs
Camp tools, hand tools, and emergency repair parts
Trailer equipment / leveling / chocking / sewer / etc..
8 spin fishing rods & tackle box
2-3 fly fishing poles & vests
14' folding Portabote with seats, transom, ores, lifejackets
55lb trolling motor
4-6 mountain bikes

Aside from the mountain bikes everything fits into our current 25' hybrid bunkhouse just fine.. And when needed we can place four bikes inside the trailer while on the road.

I do like the hybrid but I can't store it at home due to zoning. I'm only allowed 24hrs max for loading/unloading. Naturally, as soon as I bring it home I'm assured that the police are already on the way.. Aren't neighbors great? After seven years it starts to get old! I miss the old popup days when I kept it in the garage out of the sun & weather, didn't have to worry about neighbors or police, could work on it whenever I liked, and didn't have to spend $2K+ per year in outside, uncovered storage..

I'm also bummed to hear that TM is having "issues" just when I'm starting to consider one!

Thanks!
Joe
Old 10-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

You've probably never been backpacking, have you? Your stuff is going to be very tight fit in a 2720. I have a 2720SL, so I have a comparable amount of room while closed.

You don't say what your tow vehicle is, but since you're towing a 25' hybrid and have 4 kids, I'm going to assume it's a super-size SUV or 3/4 ton pickup. Thus, some of this above stuff will be able to fit in it. Note that the TM lacks storage space of any kind above counter level, so my guess is you're going to have to start paring down some of your stuff. Furthermore, the TM axle is already pretty much maxed out on weight, so if you're going to be loading it down with a ton of stuff, you are going to have to make some upgrades to make the TM safe, including a heftier axle, 15" wheels, and you're not going to want to travel with full water tanks. So even if you could fit it all in there, there's a good chance you'd be overweight. Between the toilet, water heater, and fresh water tanks, we carry about 240 lbs of water. There is also food and clothes for 2 of us, 2 chairs, bedding, pots/pans, etc., and the few times I have weighed the TM we are 3800-4000 lbs, and that is pretty much right at the limit. That does not include the stuff in the TV, like the grill, firewood, non-perishables, and the dog.

But going down your list:
  • Clothes for 6, linens, towels, shoes, jackets, etc. - I think you can make that all fit if you pack very smartly. Six people makes for alot of stuff.
  • Pantry of food - could also make this fit if again, you packed very carefully
  • Perishables and drinks - perishables yes, if you packed wisely, but other than that, I think you'll have a hard time packing a bunch of soft drinks and other individually packed beverages in the fridge. It's small, since it can't be taller than the counter. But you can use a cooler for this, and many members do.
  • 4-6 mountain bikes - I've never tried it, but I'm guessing 2 bikes, maybe 3 max, can fit inside. There are mixed reports about carrying a bike rack on a hitch receiver on the rear of the TM, but you can put a rack on the front of the TV. You can also put them on the roof of the TV.
  • Weber Q-120 grill - in the TM, probably not with any bikes.
  • 6 camp chairs - maybe. It's going to be tight with the bikes.
  • Camp tools, hand tools, and emergency repair parts - yes
  • Trailer equipment / leveling / chocking / sewer / etc. - yes
  • 8 spin fishing rods & tackle box - maybe, going to be a little tight with the bikes. But you might be able to mount some large PVC drain pipe under the trailer frame and store the rods in there.
  • 2-3 fly fishing poles & vests - see above
  • 14' folding Portabote with seats, transom, ores, lifejackets - highly doubtful. You might be able to figure a way to mount it to the roof, though. I know some folks have mounted a canoe to the TM roof, with the disadvantage being that it cannot be mounted until the TM is closed, and it must be removed before the TM can be opened.
  • 55lb trolling motor - probably not in the TM.

Strictly from a space perspective, if you didn't take the bikes, or they were on your very well equipped and very capable TV, you could probably put everything in the TM except the boat and motor. But weight might be a different story.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

You should go visit one in person. Perhaps someone on the board with a 2720 lives near you and would be willing to let you visit their TM. There is quite a bit of cabinet space for food, dishes, etc., but the biggest outside storage is a small area about a foot or so deep by about 3 feet wide (we keep 4 camp chairs, our Coleman lantern, fresh water hose and Coleman fuel can in there), this is under the queen bed and the other half of that space is accessible from the inside, that's where we keep our jackets (we use space bags), beach towels and shoes. The other outside storage we have is a hatch behind the bumper where we keep the axe, propane canisters & other things; this is not water tight so you don't want to keep much else in there. Everything we bring is a smaller version of what we would ordinarily use. Space is limited; you would probably have to use your tow vehicle to pack most of your clothes, food, bikes, etc. for longer trips. If you get the hanging cabinets that gives you more room, but it takes up floor space when you close down for traveling. You can also put more stacking plastic cabinets inside to hold things. We built a shelf system over our sink and refrigerator that holds three baskets, where we put our food and electrical cords, etc., and the TV. There is a lot of storage under the dinette seats, but part of that is taken up by the heater and the water tank. When we took the kids camping with us, we tried to bring most of our food with us because it was so much more expensive to buy it where we went. If you don't need to pack much food, but plan on buying what you need on a two or three day basis, that would make a big difference. Ditto the clothes, of course; packing for 4 kids for a two week trip would take up quite a bit of space.

It's pretty hard to tell from pictures how much storage space there actually is, because some of those pictures make things look a lot bigger than they actually are.

It used to seem pretty cramped for us with 2 adult sized children, ourselves and a cat, but now that it's just usually the 2 of us our 2720 seems huge.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
Dave99gst

I personaly have more room in my 2720SL then i need... im not were near capacity but Its only me and the girlfriend.
Dave99gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Scott O

Bad news: You will be amazingly cramped with that many people and that much gear. TM says it is a 6 person space, but only if some of the persons are very small!!! You will probably have to leave a bunch of stuff at home.

Good news: With the swing hitch it is 18' 3" long so it will fit in your space.

I agree with the recommendation that you find one and check it out in person.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

We have a Yakima rack on our Tahoe. We added 78" bars to add more room. We can take our 17' Olde Town canoe, two bikes and a rocket box (storage unit) on a trip. If we are leaving the canoe home, we can take addt'l bikes and the rocket box. You only need about 10" of room to pack a bike on the rack.

One other thing that may work is getting the groceries after you arrive to cut down on towing weight. We also usually carry water if we parking lot camp cross country, but you may want to not pack water to cut down on weight as well. We are former tent campers and only three of us, so we haven't maxed out our space yet. Sometimes, for scout events, we have to pack addt'l items, like overnight backpacks for hiking and tents, so that seems to take more room in the TV than just family camping. Hope that helps.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:58 AM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdr999 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm very interested to see exactly how much storage space is available on a regular TM 2720. If anyone has any pictures or information I'd appreciate it!

There are 6 of us (2 adults/4 kids) so the dual beds plus dinette seem like enough sleeping quarters, as long as we can find places for our gear. My garage has about 19'3" so I think a 2720 with a swing hitch would make it in.

We usually carry:

Clothes for 6, linens, towels, shoes, jackets, etc.
Pantry of food
Perishables and drinks
Weber Q-120 grill
6 camp chairs
Camp tools, hand tools, and emergency repair parts
Trailer equipment / leveling / chocking / sewer / etc..
8 spin fishing rods & tackle box
2-3 fly fishing poles & vests
14' folding Portabote with seats, transom, ores, lifejackets
55lb trolling motor
4-6 mountain bikes

Aside from the mountain bikes everything fits into our current 25' hybrid bunkhouse just fine.. And when needed we can place four bikes inside the trailer while on the road.

I do like the hybrid but I can't store it at home due to zoning. I'm only allowed 24hrs max for loading/unloading. Naturally, as soon as I bring it home I'm assured that the police are already on the way.. Aren't neighbors great? After seven years it starts to get old! I miss the old popup days when I kept it in the garage out of the sun & weather, didn't have to worry about neighbors or police, could work on it whenever I liked, and didn't have to spend $2K+ per year in outside, uncovered storage..

I'm also bummed to hear that TM is having "issues" just when I'm starting to consider one!

Thanks!
Joe
A 25' Hybrid is a lot of space, and you probably won't be able to duplicate that in a 2720 without compromises. Maybe towing with a full sized van could provide an extra bedroom.

I've had RV's that were big enough to haul stuff without having to think about where we were headed or what we were planning to do, and I was able to use the RV for storage of all that stuff so it was always all ready to go. But today's gas prices make 7mpg less fun that it used to be. These days we're narrowing our priorities by planning more carefully so that we can travel lighter.

Besides, it seems like no time at all before you're travelling with fewer than 6 (and some of the kids eventually have their own RV's).
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
ng2951

You would be better off with a 3124 as it has more locker space than a 2720 has.

The refer is neither large or deep. I always carried an ice chest and that worked well for ice. I would have to refill it every few days. You can put some litre bottles in the door, 1/2 gallon milk,juice bottles but not a lot of anything else.

You rod and reels, weber, etc. are going to have to occupy the aisles and possibly your camp chairs too.

Your linens I would put in the tub.

If you are careful with your pantry you should be OK.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #9
guitartom

All of that stuff won't fit. If you got creative, maybe 3/4 of it. I don't know where you're from, or if you have a dealer near. You should really get inside and then decide. I'm on Long Island. If you're close,You're welcome to see mine before I close it up for the winter.

Good Luck
Old 11-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I agree with GuitarTom - t'ain't likely. Many people approach this problem by taking two vehicles, assuming they are going to camp within a couple hundred miles of home. Would that work for you?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote