TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
Goodyear Travels

Default Dual Battery Install in an 07 2720SL ?

It seems that many of the more experienced TMer's have choosen dual 6 volt, T-105 Trojans for extended reserve battery power. I trust the opinion of these folks.
But I am a bit confused as to the "best" (if there is such a thing) method to install the batteries in the rear compartment. I've read most of the threads -- including some by such noteables as Bill, Rocky Mtn Ray, Larry Loo, & Mjlaupp. Some of these posts are a few years old and I was wondering if there has been an evolution of thought on the subject. Is there any more clarity about what might be the best way to install the batteries in our particular model and should the weight be moved more to center?
Grateful for what others have already posted on the subject, Eric
Old 04-08-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Hi, Eric -

I still think that changing out the batteries is a great thing, especially if you are going to do a lot of dry camping. A standard Group 24 or Group 27 12-volt battery is just too wimpy for extended dry camping, especially when it is cold and the furnace runs a lot.

I am still concerned about the way the battery is carried in the 2720SL. The factory cuts away the upper skin of the floor, cuts out the foam core, and sets the battery on the lower skin. The skins are thin aluminum - they aren't all that strong, and I'm convinced that if you should take a speed bump a little too fast, for example, the battery could go right through the floor and out onto the road.

This doesn't seem to happen often, so maybe I'm overly conservative. But if you double the size of that hole in the floor, and put the weight of ANOTHER battery on the lower skin, I think there is potentially a big problem.

I seem to recall that Mike Laupp had a pretty good-looking solution, though I've forgotten the details.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:45 AM   #3
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

We got two AGM 200 Amp 6 V batteries and placed them in one plastic box from allied battery. It's a perfect snug fit in the rear storage compartment and does NOT sit inside the well that TM made for the single battery. If you want to, it can be braced (mjlaupp), but after nine months with this layout I haven't found a need for it. The two batteries weight a total of 140 Lbs.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:42 AM   #4
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

Quote:
I am still concerned about the way the battery is carried in the 2720SL. The factory cuts away the upper skin of the floor, cuts out the foam core, and sets the battery on the lower skin.
We ordered our 2027 without a battery and box for that reason.
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote