TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2007, 07:38 AM   #1
JHill23

Default 1993 2518

Hello,
I have been looking at TM for a while now, and found this forum. Lots of great information on what seems to be a great TT. I am new to camping, never really been much, except as a kid. I am looking at a purchasing a 1993 2518. TM don't make them anymore. I guess I just don't want to spend the money for a new one until I know that camping is something that we will enjoy. So my question is: Is there anything with buying a used TM this old, that I might want to watch out for? Are they prone to leak? Any information on the older ones is very appreciated. I talked to the dealer about it, and of coarse he says that is in great condition. But I feel that other owners would be more honest.

Thanks so much for any help.
John in Florence, MS
Old 02-02-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Like most trailers of this vintage, the walls in the old TMs were built with wood frames. No problem with that - unless the walls leaked and water got inside and rotted the wood. This happened only occasionally, but when it did, it was a serious problem, so you need to look for it.

Are there any water stains on the inside walls? If so, bad sign.

Run around the inside and the outside, and look at all the screws that are screwed into the walls. Tug on them. Do they pull out easily, or are they tight? If loose, the underlying wood may be rotted.

Several years ago, one of the board's members (he went by the name HappyTrails) rebuilt the walls in his TM to replace rotted wood. He did a very nice job, but it was a real challenge. He documented it all on his web site

http://members.aol.com/br768/

Other than that, the most important thing is probably to check all the appliances and make sure they work.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
Bill & Lisa

I would add to check the date on the tires. If they are 5 years old or older they should be replaced even if they still have alot of tread left on them.

Bill
Old 02-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
JHill23

Thanks for the input. I will check all of this really well.
Also, can anyone tell me something else.
I have been told that the length of Trailmanors for instance 2720 does not include the tongue. Is this true. I thought that a 2720 was 27ft open, and 20ft closed, including the tongue. That is why, with the swing hitch, it will fit into a garage. Can anyone shed a little more light on this. Also, the issues with the swing hitch cracking the frame. Has this been a huge issue, or just a few freak instances here and there. I have been advised not to buy and TM with the swing hitch because there have been so many problems. After searching this forum, I only see 2 instances. I feel like this issue is like buying a car that is a lemon. For the most part, there are no issues. But like everything, there will be a few out there that have problems.
Thanks again.
John
Old 02-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
lnussbau

Actually, the 2720 is about 24 feet long when opened and 20 feet when closed. The "27" comes from the apparent presumption that there'd be 3 feet of tongue on an equivalent non-folding trailer.

Note, too, that the swing away hitch knocks about two feet off the closed length, when it's swung.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I have a brochure that came with our TM, it lists the 2518 with the following specifications:

Closed 18'3", open 21'11", dry weight 2190, tongue weight 295, tires, 13", load capacity 1169.

It has two double beds 48 x 78, and a dinette 48 x 78.

Apparently the difference between this and the 2619 is a smaller sink and kitchen area.

I think the brochure is for the 96 models (I forgot to look, it's under the seat out in the TM).

From what I recall from reading in posts here, the swing tongue problems have been with more recent models, but TM board members, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:55 AM   #7
camp2canoe

Default Swing away tongue

Three years and running with a TM 2619 with a swing away tongue which was a necessity with our small garage. In storage we do support the side of the tongue without the jack with a scissors jack. I don't know that I'd have much concern with the swing away feature. - camp2canoe
Old 02-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

When the tongue is swung to the side, the tongue jack should not support any weight. Lower the front jacks instead.

I don't think we ever reached a conclusion on this board, but it is clear that if you support the tongue weight on a swung tongue, you're asking for trouble.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
78crewcabjohn

I bought a old trailmanor last year. It was a 1992 M26. It was in good shape for the age, but expect to do some repairs. The price and your ability to repair minor stuff is the question you need to answer. Mine was $2700. I don't camp a whole lot and couldn't justify the cost of a new model. All my appliances worked but had to patch the grey water holding tank. Interior is not modern but functional. Had to make a shower curtain and other little things. I parked to unit near our pond and my kids camped in it more than I did thoughout the summer. GOOD LUCK JOHN