TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2001, 02:24 PM   #1
hal

Default Security of your TrailManor

Have you ever wondered how much security you have with the  lock on your TrailManor door.  Try this.....With your door locked and closed, hit the part of the door jam (the part that swings in for travel) with the heal of a closed fist.  Pull on the knob at the same time.  Did your door pop open.  Sometimes it is not necessary to pull on the door knob and it will open when hit in this manner.

The cause:  your right front stabilizer is raised too high, throwing the trailer door very slightly out of alignment, thus allowing your door to pop open.

The cure:  Release the pressure on the stablizer a bit and try hitting the door again...  If it pops open lower the stablizer some more.  Repeat this test until the door remains shut.

This is also the cause of your needing to slam the door to get it to close.  

Each time you set up your trailer and before you leave it to go elsewhere, retest your door.  Otherwise someone can be inside your trailer faster than you can start your engine.

hs
Old 09-17-2001, 04:28 PM   #2
Larry_Loo

Default Re: Security of your TrailManor

Shortly after we purchased our 3124KS, we noticed that the door often would not stay closed, even when locked. It was a little disconcerting to leave the trailer with a locked door and then return later to find the door had swing open on its own. I found out that because of misalignment between the halves of the top, the latch's tongue just protruded into the strike plate about 1/16". Any slight movement of the trailer would cause the door to open. Therefore I made an additional strike plate of 1/4" thick aluminum sheet and screwed it over the existing strike plate (using longer screws, of course). Now the door latches in place with slight inward pressure and has not popped open since I made this modification. :
Old 09-19-2001, 03:40 PM   #3

The padded ledge next to the door is held down by Velcro and can be pushed up from the outside when the trailer is up allowing a person to reach in and turn the knob. If I am inside I have a slide bolt on the upper part of the door that makes it secure. I am not sure how to make it more secure when it is up and parked and no one is inside to use the slide bolt.
Old 09-21-2001, 02:58 PM   #4

I guess I'm just as concerned about being locked IN by some prankster who decides to spin the exterior latch used to hold the door shut when folded...   I guess I'd have to slide one of the beds to crawl out.

Is there any other exit?
Old 09-21-2001, 03:48 PM   #5
hal

Jon,  beds at both ends are to provide an escape route.  They do not slide out for emergency escape but are to be lifted and then you crawl under.  at least that is how I have had it explained to me.  It makes you want to try an escape drill but again as I understand it, the bed support is damaged and needs repair by a knowledgeable mechanic.

Also, you were probably warned not to climb onto either bed until the red pins are inserted in their sockets.  Otherwise you will be dumped out on the ground, or worse yet onto the front of the tongue.

There was a time when we didn't have to be so paranoid about events in our life.  Somewhere, maybe on this site, I read that the TrailManor trailers are being stolen.  It might have been in the National TrailBlazer newsletter the Tidings, that I read it.

Hal
Old 09-21-2001, 04:17 PM   #6
hal

Regarding the insecurity in which a hand can push the velcro up and then reach over and unlock the door........ we tried this at a recent campground and even the person with the smallest hand couldn't do it.  I recommend that anyone that is concerned about this should experiment a bit and see if you can get the door to unlock.

Hal
Old 09-24-2001, 12:31 AM   #7

You don't half to turn the doorknob.  I think you can just flip the latch that holds the two door halves together.