TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
ogelba

Default 2009 trail manor help and advise please

Hello

finally after years of searching found a trail manor here in montreal. do not have to go through hassle of crossing the border or travelling 6 hours to see if i want one or not.

Problem is it is the 3023 which is approx 3 feet bigger (tighter on the driveway might just make it also might not fit in my winter garage)) and 200 pound heavier.i was hoping for the 2720, though i might consider it. the size and lay out are great. the seller told me there was a roof problem and he fixed it with a roofer. my dad checked it out with me and said it is ok. the guy is asking 9k . some of the velcro siding is ripped. it s in good condition but does look a bit worn.

i checked the limits and the tongue weight is 409and dry weight is 2915. my 2007 odyssey as the tow package can pull 3500 but the tongue weight is 350. i was told with a weight differential hitch and torsion bars i will be ok. does anyone know about this?

also one thing i noticed is you can not access the trailer when it is closed.I have a 2007 rockwood premier 1904 pop up have a storage bin in the front and can access the inside through the door. so i can get things at will.

do you guys have any tricks or suggestions.

as for the set up with the pop up I get to the site level it open the doors get the wood for the jack and hitch and then open. with a trail manor once parked on site do you keep it attached to the car, open get what you need then level finish opening properly and disconnect??

love these trailers but not sure about this dillema.

thanks in advance for the help

Oren
Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Scott O

Here we go again...without getting into the other issues, it is my strong belief that your tow vehicle is inadequate! Empty your TM will be borderline, add anything (like stove, ac, personal stuff etc.) and it doesn't work. Sorry, but it is what it is, better to find out sooner than later.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
ogelba

Default thank you

much appreciated thx
Old 08-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
rumbleweed

Do a search for actual weights and you will see that even a modestly loaded ( the way it would be on a camping trip) trailer is well over that "Dry weight" and your tongue weight will be higher. Also if you choose to try it anyway, get exact details of what was fixed and how it was fixed. The design of the TM ( collapsible top shells) makes it very sensitive to even modest weight changes in the top shells. A "roofer" is usually working with a structure that is capable of large increases in weight ( especially in snow territory) and may have provided a waterproof solution but not one that works with the TM folding mechanism.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
PopBeavers

As a point of reference, my 2720 weighs about 4,100 when loaded. I only weighed the axle and it was 3380.

Not to mention a driver, passengers, gasoline and all the other stuff I take in the truck.

You could make it work.

1. take only one change of clothes.
2. stay in RV parks with full hookups so you don't need to carry any water.
3. Don't take any food or drinks with you. Buy them when you arrive.
4. Don't take any luxury items (camping chairs, BBQ, outdoor table, etc.)
5. If you cam in the summer and eat out then you do not need propane, so you can remove the cylinders.

Not my idea of camping, but it could be done. But why?
Old 08-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
ogelba

Default nice

thx. but I never use the water tanks. and all my gear is light weight.

some firewood, 4 folding chairs, a bin of food (not taking the kitchen), and Yes we buy food there. i am usually hot so no jackets or long sleeves. usually pack for 4 days. not sure what you pack, but a small duffle bag gets eveything i need .
:-)
Old 08-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
ogelba

Default hitch information

Hi again

i did some research and spoke to a hitch expert:

this his reply regarding hitches if you are interested :

So if its a 2"x2" receiver its a 5000lb hitch. Once loaded you'll be at the max of the trailers capacity for the van. You can use my Eazlift kit. The good thing is that if you get a bigger trailer, you'll be good up to 600lbs tongue weight

thx for the help, sarcasm and advise :-)
Old 08-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
So if its a 2"x2" receiver its a 5000lb hitch.
Does not matter since your tow limit for the odyssey is 3500lbs and the tow limit does not change even with a hitch rated higher.

The bottom line is you will be towing (near/at/or over) your 3500lb limit depending on your cargo.

Good luck with your decision, I wish you safe towing!

Tim
Old 08-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Gonna be tight, truly.

I tow with a minivan (Sienna), and I'm quite happy with my set-up. But, I have a 2720SL, and I tow in the flat midwest.

There are a thousand posts on this topic, and a thousand opinions. I, personally, am comfortable with what I do, I did a ton of research beforehand, I've weighed my rig so I know what's what. I do not know that I'd be comfortable towing anything larger, but that's just my opinion on the matter.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote