TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
CrohnieBoy

Exclamation 1988 TrailManor 25

Help!

I am going to look at a 1988 Trailmanor 25 in 2 days and need all the help I can get.

1. What should I look for (bad stuff)?
2. What is the floorplan of this model?
3. What are they worth?
4. I know there is a possibility of bad wood in this age range, can anyone tell me how and where to check?
5. Is there an "equivalnet" floorplan in a newer model that could give me an idea about this one?
6. I have read that the AC unit could be wall mounted in this one. Is that true?

I was told there is "slight water damage" in the left front. The guy said I should be able to just "reseal that part of the roof" and it should be fine.

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated. I will be driving 2 hours to see this thing and would like to be as prepared as I can be.

I have already dispatched an e-mail to TrailManor to see if they could help.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:40 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Good suggestions from Leon. I would also ask them to open it up and close it a few times (completely, including the bathroom).

I would check out the wall corners in the upper and lower shells. Push gently on the walls and see if they are soft in the corner areas. If you sniff around the corners and it smells musty and moldy, there is probably some damage. It wouldn't be a bad idea to run a hose over the unit to see if there are obvious leaks.

If there's an awning ask them to open it and close it. Fold in the stairs. Raise and lower the corner stabilizers. Is there a spare tire? You'll need one.

Check out the NADA guides for a value - http://www2.nadaguides.com/autohome2...wPr=0&wPg=2111. Most of the stuff that is listed there is standard on a TM so you don't want to add on for it. Extras would include A/C (does it work?), tv antenna/booster (does it work?), and awning.

It would be ideal if you could arrange to have them hitch up and tow the trailer to see if it pulls straight, and also test the brakes. We can hear ours engaging when we put our foot on the tow vehicle brake and someone is standing outside. Do all the outside lights work? The easiest way to know is to connect it to a vehicle that has a 7-prong plug.

Keep in mind that it takes a long time for the refrigerator to cool down. If it's a 3-way (110v, 12v, propane), you want to be sure that it works on propane if you plan to camp without hookups.

Check the grey water tank for leaks. Run water in the faucets. Ask them to fire up the hot water heater. Ask them to fill up the toilet and see how it works or if it leaks.

If it was me, I'd plan on taking at least 2 hours to get the appliances working and check things out.

You should check the converter out and see if it charges the battery. How old is the battery? If you bring a simple volt meter along you should be able to check the output where the wires connect to the battery.

When we inspected our used TM, the dealer had the battery charged up and the propane filled when we arrived. Ask them to be sure that at least one propane tank is filled for your inspection tests. If you want to make sure that the refrigerator runs on propane, then I'd ask them to not start it up until you got there. It should start to feel cool within 20 - 30 minutes, you'll have to put your hand in the freezer to check. If it's really hot outside, it will take longer.

Hopefully what you find will suit your needs, good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Dee
Old 10-21-2005, 12:49 PM   #3
CrohnieBoy

Default Reply

Thank you Leon and Dee. I will try to check everything you said.

-I have read on other posts here, that TrailManor will send you free 'wood replacement' kits made of aluminum to to repair your camper. Is this true? Free? No shipping cost or anything? That would be amazing!

-The owner of the camper just had to leave for a family emergency in Florida. So it looks like I will not be able to see the camper until his return. This gives me more time to prepare.

-I received a response from Ed Lytle @ TrailManor:
Good Morning,
We have no records on a model 25 TrailManor.
We have built a model 23 which is our current 2720 model

and a model 26 which is our current model 3023.
The old floor plans are similar to our current models and available on our web site.
www.trailmanor.com

Hope this helps.

-I saw one picture of the "driver's side" front outside corner where it looks like it says "TrailManor 25". The gentleman (owner) said it was a 25. TrailManor says they didn't make a 25. I may just have to see this one in person. lol

Thanks again for your responses.

Brian
Old 10-21-2005, 01:49 PM   #4
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

Here is a website of someone who replaced the rotted wood. In the photos it looks like it is a TM25.

http://members.aol.com/br768/

Based on old posts it looks like it is a 1986.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...hlight=Bargain
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 10:50 AM   #5
CrohnieBoy

Default Reply

Thanks Rick. I sent HappyTrails a PM yesterday morning.

I still find it interesting that TrailManor says there is no 25 and clearly on the side of HappyTrails' camper it says "25". Hmmm....

Oh well. I'll keep you all posted on my situation. If I end up seeing it and not liking it, I'll let you all know. Maybe there is a finders fee in there... lol

L8R

Brian
Old 10-22-2005, 07:39 PM   #6
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Default 1988 25 model

I checked out my library of old TrailManor brochures, and I found some info on the 1989 models. In 1989, TrailManor made a 20, 22, 23, 25, 26, 27 and a 28 & 28F. I am sure they made the same models in 1988.

My 1989 price list stated that the 25 model sold for a base price of $14962.00 There were only 7 items that you could get as optional equipment.

The floor plan of the 25 model was very similar to the 3023 today. There was a couch/bed on the road side. On the curb side, you had 2 chairs with a cabinet in between them. There was no storage under the back bed, You had to get the 26 model (which is the 3023 today) to get some storage under the back bed area.

Hope this info helps out.

Tags
older model numbers, trailmanor 25