TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
Berkly

Default General questions

Forgive my ignorance, Ive read up and down this board and still have some questions. Purchasing a new 2007 2619 at dealer cost

1. Can you still tow your TM while expanded/open? For instance, If I wanted to switch spots without breaking down, or a run down to the store etc... If so, what are the limitations? How fast is too fast, will it reduce my turning radius?

2. Currently I do quite a bit of winter camping, and would like to travel out to NM or CO in the next month or so to go snowboarding. More than likely temps will drop below freezing. If I keep my heater running above freezing while Im away it should keep my fresh water tanks from freezing right? Will my gray water tank freeze? What can I do to alleviate this problem?

3. For those towing with a Lexus RX 330, which WDH are you using? Satisfied? Is your RX adequate enough to tow or are you looking to upgrade to a more stout vehicle? I was thinking mine will be fine here in the flatlands of Central Oklahoma, but trips up to Colorado's Mountains would be quite a strain.

thanks for your responses everyone, looking forward to picking up my 2619 this week.

Chris M.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
Berkly

Anti-freeze...duh, shoulda thought of that.

thanks for your response.

Also does anyone know the load capacity for the beds? how many pounds can it hold?
Old 02-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
Berkly

Ha, nothing but people. But If friends are hanging out inside, I want to know how many people can sit up there before theres trouble.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:14 PM   #4
genesc

Quote:
Anti-freeze...duh, shoulda thought of that.
thanks for your response.

Also does anyone know the load capacity for the beds? how many pounds can it hold?
1200 lbs., according to Bill Hulsey, designer and builder of TrailManor.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
grlewis1

Here in Florida, the Lexus RX model with a WHD hitch does ok... if you stay in the flatlands, you can manage... any hills and your asking more than that Lexus can handle... Happy TM ing...
Old 02-28-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
Berkly

So reading through all these threads about leaks, what to look for when you drive off with your trailer, etc... Ive read both checklists by Ed and Mike which are quite comprehensive. And good material, thanks for your efforts.

Should the dealer run a quality control over the TM or should i assume the factory sealed all seams correctly. From what Ive been reading, the factory dosent exactly have very good quality assurance in this regard.
Here are a couple things I think I will scope out before i drive away.
1. Check roof for gaps, holes, bubbles, dents, and tell the dealer to seal with caulk.
2. Spray water all over trailer to find any leaks i might have missed.

Once at home I think I will replace all wire nuts with soldered and shrink plastic, or is this overkill. Has anyone had problems related to the wire nuts?

Also seal all holes on the undercarriage with either spray foam or caulk. Seems like a little insurance for a more effecient living space.

I was also thinking about spraying foam insulation on my grey water tank to help with freezing on cold nights. If it gets really cold Ill just add antifreeze. Has anyone insulated their tanks? results?

Thanks for your time

cm
Old 02-28-2007, 09:54 AM   #7
Berkly

Quote:
Originally Posted by grlewis1 View Post
Here in Florida, the Lexus RX model with a WHD hitch does ok... if you stay in the flatlands, you can manage... any hills and your asking more than that Lexus can handle... Happy TM ing...
Which WHD are you using?
Old 02-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #8
BrianS

Default Wdh

I have an "Equal-i-zer" hitch that I would highly recommend.You should be able to do a search on this Fourm and get alot of info.Also I think the best brake controler IMO is the "Prodigy".Good Luck.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:03 PM   #9
CAmark
Site Sponsor

To add to Leon's post regarding lug nuts...be sure to check/re-torque per owner manual suggestions when you first get the new TM, I recall every couple hundred miles was suggested. My experience was that, multiple times, there were several nuts not torqued to spec after driving a while. This seemed like a "break-in" or "seating" problem as, ever since, all nuts are at spec when I have checked them.

mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:45 PM   #10
grlewis1

If you decide to use your Lexus as the TV, then make sure you have a trans cooler installed. The transmission on the lexus will heat up and turn your fluid into a dark goo... As for WHD... I prefer the Equal-i-zer hitch due to the sway bars. You will read from a lot of folks on this forum that this is not neccesary for the TM, but when that 18 wheeler is passing you at 80 mph, you will be riding down the road rock steady... just remember to think safety first ... the equal-i-zer hitch may cost a little more, but you can't put a price tag on the safety this hitch will provide.... Keep reading this forum... you will learn much as I have....