TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #1
arjackson

Unhappy Dinette and TM customer service

Hi, we had been thinking of upgrading to a new Rise (more on that below), but have decided to make our 2002 2720SD stretch for a little longer. But I sleep on the dinette bed with the dogs (my hubby gets the QB to himself) and we had an issue with our original tabletop falling apart last year. It was delaminating, and the wood was just flaking away. So my husband spent a lot of time on the phone with Trailmanor in Dec, trying to order a new tabletop (I believe the chaos was during the relocation of the factory?), which finally arrived late January.

Well, the replacement is not the right size--it's wider, so it doesn't sit on the proper ledges, but on the edges of the plywood seating instead. It didn't look like it was that big of a deal, but then I tried sleeping on it. Because it's raised in the middle, no matter what position I slept in, my hips were the highest point on my body. I have a bad back anyway, and I could hardly walk the next day. In addition to not fitting properly, when we try to raise and lower the table, the screws pull right out of the wood. The wood seems really soft (I'm assuming to keep weight down) and they just don't hold.

I wanted to call Trailmanor with the problems, but it turns out my husband was really put off by how nobody seemed to know what they were talking about when he called and traded emails with them. So much so, that he didn't even want to buy a Rise as we'd planned, because he feels like those units are so new and we may not have enough support if there are bugs! We'd like to take our trailer out this Fall, however, and I just can't sleep on the dinette bed as it is (not to mention being afraid to even breathe on the table, lest it collapse).

Our options seem to be:

--I can take the cushions off the dinette and sleep on them on the floor (which is not ideal if we need to use the heater, unless I want to roast)

--I can find a folding cot or the like and use that instead (I've already tried one and it didn't work)

--We have a carpenter friend who we could pay to make us a new one, based on the old one that we saved (but we've already paid like $200 for the one from TM)

--We could give TM factory another try, and see if they've sorted out their problems

Any other suggestions? I'm actually so frustrated that I've been looking at motorhomes (gasp!)
Old 08-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #2
mecicon
TrailManor Master

I'd go with option C "carpenter friend.

https://youtu.be/xuUIq0Y31S8
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecicon View Post
I'd go with option C "carpenter friend.

https://youtu.be/xuUIq0Y31S8
I agree. If you just went with some plywood, perhaps laminated with some luan, it would be cheap to build.

And I'd try to make contact with the factory to return what they sent you for a full refund, since it is not the right part.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #4
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I would measure the width of your opening, then call the factory. Not sure how close you are to Custom RV, but you may be able to work through them, also.

Don't know why your screws are pulling out, as we use our dinette table for sleeping on occasion, and my DW sets up the table every time we set up. No loose screws, yet, in our third season of camping in our TM.

I cut-down my first TM table leaf, as we wanted a little more room to get into the dinette in our 2417 Sport. The middle is a foam-type material. If you have your carpenter friend cut-down the table, any routing he does on the edge will expose the foam material. Then you will have to color it, and seal it somehow.

I think giving the factory another try will be your best bet.

Good luck!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #5
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
I agree. If you just went with some plywood, perhaps laminated with some luan, it would be cheap to build.

And I'd try to make contact with the factory to return what they sent you for a full refund, since it is not the right part.

Dave
I agree with Dave. I think I'd give my carpenter friend a go at it and try to get a refund from the factory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:23 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Reading LoveToCamp's reply gave me idea.

If the piece from the factory is really just too big, and that's the only problem, then I bet your carpenter friend could easily trim it down to the required size on a table saw. Like LTC said, it's foam in the center of it, which makes it lightweight, so it would be nice to be able to retain that feature. A solid piece of plywood will be much heavier.

One he trims it down, like LTC said, the foam will be exposed. Your friend could then simply cut a piece of veneer on his table saw, from some piece of wood that roughly resembles the grain pattern of the table. We're talking a piece of wood maybe 1/16-1/32" thick. Then simply glue that veneer onto the edge of the just-trimmed table with the exposed foam.

Either way would work fine.....

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #7
arjackson

Thanks for all your help! It's interesting to hear that the table has a foam core--it does feel very lightweight. I would wonder if that's why the screws are stripping out, but it sounds like several of you with the same kind of table don't have that problem.

Our carpenter friend is coming out next week for something else, so I'll at least have him look at it.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:29 PM   #8
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjackson View Post
Thanks for all your help! It's interesting to hear that the table has a foam core--it does feel very lightweight. I would wonder if that's why the screws are stripping out, but it sounds like several of you with the same kind of table don't have that problem.

Our carpenter friend is coming out next week for something else, so I'll at least have him look at it.
the table, when in the "down' position sets on 2 ledges (one one either of the long sides of the table), right? Rather than mess with the table, why not mess with the ledges. Perhaps one of a couple options would work:

1) if the screws that secure the ledges are ofset (not in the center, from top to bottom) could they be flipped over??

2) If the ledges are substantial, couldn't he just plane down (thin out) the ledges a bit, so that they are better recessed. While working with them, perhaps he could engineer a bit more width, such that they stick out a bit more (thus further supporting the table -because more of the ledge surface would be under the table).

3) Could the ledge pieces be moved down a bit (such that, in the down position, the table sits flush).

- If none of the above are viable -

4) Could you simply put a foam mattress topper on the dinette (while in the down position)?

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:17 AM   #9
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Or you could get a "yoga mat" and cut it in half, putting one half on each dinette seat. Or an airbed, they fold down really small for travel. Just don't use the TV antenna amplifier socket to blow it up, it will blow the fuse.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
jquarles

Hi all,

Been a very long time since I have posted here. I was hoping someone may shed some light on the on arjackson's post. The part about the poor service from TM. We love our 2004 TM 3326, but it is really showing its age and we are trying to decide on a total refurb. My TM dealer in Colorado Springs is closing so I have called the factory many, many times to get quotes on parts and what service they may provide. Not a single call has been answered. I have left numerous messages and no one has called me back. At this rate, I am beginning to think they don't want my business and maybe I am better off dumping the trailer going with another brand.

Any thoughts? I know all of you guys are uber experts!!

John
Denver, CO
jquarles is offline   Reply With Quote