TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #1
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

Default Mattress Replacement

After 8 years of pretty good use, the mattress is done. Too many hills and valleys to be comfortable anymore. I'd like to replace it with a memory foam mattress but have not found any that I think are thin enough. There is a 4" pillow top/ memory foam combo at Camping World that I'm wondering if it will fit on top of the old mattress when the unit (2720) closed. Closing the rear shell and looking in from the front, it looks like it may make it.

I'm not much interested in a straight foam replacement.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Why keep the old at all?

I found a 3.5" mem foam/dense foam mattress which I use on top of a 5" inflatable. Quite comfortable if you can put up with the several minutes of inflating/deflating that comes with the air mattress.

From what I've read, most can't close the shell with anything more than ~4". 3.5" + bedding will close fine, as long as that mattress is deflated all the way.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

You're right. I don't want to keep the old foam at all. The idea of the inflatable seems like a good one from what I have read in the "Search" mode. Just hoping for some more current suggestions.
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #4
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

We first tried the air mattress route, but found that there was to much squeaky noise when you roll over or move during the night. We next tried a 4 inch memory foam, but found that even a 5 pound density, by itself was not sufficient. We finally settled on a combo mattress comprised of 2 1/2 inches of high density foam and 1 1/2 inches of memory foam. Bought this in king size, cause the queen wasn't big enough, and cut it with an electric knife to fit inside the TM's mattress cover. We found this to be the most comfortable for us, so we bought another queen size and cut it down for the full size front bed.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
ragmopp

We have been using a Aerobed for a number of years now. Is excellent, especially because we can adjust either side of the bed to our particular wants. No squeakiness, as mentioned, like in a air mattress. Does require power, but even if you boondock a portable (rechargeable) power unit does the job.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
foxhaven0

Default king

You guys have it easy. The king is over-sized. I bought two twin memory foam 2" toppers and have to roll them up and put in the living room to travel. They leave a gap between, which is not too bad. Still hard on the arthritic shoulder and hips.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Not to hijack the thread, but the problem of a gap between two mattresses can be solved quite nicely with what I call a bridge. Go to Overstock.com and enter "twin-size bed connector" in the search box. That will bring one up. Or to find more suppliers, do a Google search for "two twin mattresses make a king". You'll find them at Amazon, Bed Bath Beyond, and so forth.

The bridge is a long strip of foam, 80 inches long by 12 inches wide by about an inch thick. It has a rib, 80 inches long by maybe 2 inches high, protruding from the center of one side to give the whole thing a T-shaped cross section. You put the stem of the T (the rib) into the gap between the mattresses, and the flat strip makes a continuous surface across the gap. Works well.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #8
foxhaven0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but the problem of a gap between two mattresses can be solved quite nicely with what I call a bridge. Go to Overstock.com and enter "twin-size bed connector" in the search box. That will bring one up. Or to find more suppliers, do a Google search for "two twin mattresses make a king". You'll find them at Amazon, Bed Bath Beyond, and so forth.

The bridge is a long strip of foam, 80 inches long by 12 inches wide by about an inch thick. It has a rib, 80 inches long by maybe 2 inches high, protruding from the center of one side to give the whole thing a T-shaped cross section. You put the stem of the T (the rib) into the gap between the mattresses, and the flat strip makes a continuous surface across the gap. Works well.

Bill
Then I'd have something else to take off the bed, right? I just use the gap as an aisle to get in and out of bed. But I was wishing for an inflatable mattress that I could use instead of the original. With the foam pads on top then I could just deflate and not have to remove the pads. Less hassle closing down, ya know. But I'd want an inflatable the size of the old mattress. So we're still talking "Mattress Replacement."
Old 08-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
MariaG

Redtail Cruiser - if you don't mind telling, where/what brand mattress did you get?
See my TrailManor Repair blog at:
http://trailmanorrepair.blogspot.com/
MariaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:48 AM   #10
rlawton

Default Exped Megamat

When we bought our 2720SL, we didn't care for the mattress so we bought two Exped Megamats which barely fit side by side. We also add memory foam on top and very happy with our choice. We also get mattresses that we can use elsewhere.