TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-26-2015, 08:21 AM   #31
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkyDoodle View Post
@Terryl --- "I'm a retired locksmith. I rekeyed the TM and my hunting camp trailer to my house key. I now only have to keep up with the one key"

I NEED to do this to my unit.....This winter!!!

I can't believe that TM delivers this high dollar product assuming the owner can keep up with THREE different keys. Is this something that a relatively handy person can do "at home" without special locksmith's knowledge or tools?? What parts are necessary and where can they be found??

I can't begin to tell you how much this has frustrated me.........

THANX!!!
Just for my own info, what 3 keys are you referring to? Entry Door and rear trunk? is there another one? The Ext shower door is the same as the rear trunk, is it not? It is on mine...

rv

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #32
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
Go to your local hardware and buy a standard lockset for the main door. TMs use standard door hardware.

The storage compartments use a common RV key. This is easily fixed by getting a set of cylinder key locks from Camping World. $20 will take care of someone getting into the storage areas.

See if your house key will slide in the lock. If it does you can take off the two locks and take it to a lock smith and have him re-key the locks at his shop. I would expect it would cost you around $8 -10 per lock to re-key.

I thought about doing it, but we have a hand full of keys we take camping. So thought I would just have a set for camping. DW and myself would have a set. I also made a hide a key in case we lock our self's out.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #33
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Art has the right idea. Assuming your house key fits into the deadbolt lock, remove the deadbolt from the door and take it to a hardware store. Most can do rekeying, and it is not expensive.

Incidentally, way back in 2008 (post #6 above), when Pop Beavers said "all TMs are keyed alike", he was not correct. The compartment keys may be alike, but the entry door keys are not. Been there, tried that, each TM has a different entry door key.

If your house key does not fit into the lock on your TM, then you have no choice but to carry a separate key for the TM entry door. Incidentally, on my TM, one key operates both the knob lock and the deadbolt, so no need for two keys there. I actually leave this entry-door key in the tow vehicle, so I don't clutter my keychain, and I don't accidentally leave the key at home.

Incidentally, in my opinion, the deadbolt provides all the security you are going to get. The knob lock won't make you any more secure, so I don't even use it. But if you are a fan of the knob lock, it can also be rekeyed to match the deadbolt.

As for the compartment locks, it is my understanding that there are a few (but very few) different keys for these locks. The entire industry uses these few keys, not just TM. All of the compartment locks on your TM should work with the same key, but since it is a different style key from the entry door key, you cannot make them the same. If you want more security for the compartments, you might be able to have those locks re-keyed, but since there are a number of them, it can get a little pricey. Again, my opinion is that it is not worth doing. But then, I don't carry anything real valuable in the compartments, and I've never had anything stolen. And again, I leave the compartment key in the tow vehicle with the door key.

Just my thoughts, which seem pretty much in line with earlier posts.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #34
Terryl

Replacement cam style locks that will fit all the compartments on a TM are readily available from any locksmith. They will range from about 6 dollars a lock to 20 depending on the amount of security you want. They can be keyed to use the same key.
Bear in mind that the edges around these compartments aren't very sturdy and any cam lock can be bypassed with a large screwdriver. If a thief wants in he will get in no matter what you do about the locks. Locks are mostly for the benefit of piece of mind of the owner.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #35
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

The knob lock is the reason I have the hide a key. To easy to turn the lock and get locked out with all my keys in the camper and the TV locked. Wish the TM only had the dead bolt, which you have to use a key to lock it from the outside.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #36
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I understand your dilemma. Of course you can replace the locking entry knob with a (probably identical) non-locking knob. But a hide-a-key is cheaper and probably easier.

My tow vehicles have always had the electronic lock/unlock buttons on the driver's side door, so we can't get locked out of the vehicle. Not all vehicles have that, of course, but it is handy. And of course, although I didn't mention it above, I put two TM entry keys in the console of the tow vehicle. This means I can pull out one key, go into the TM and close the TM door without replacing the key, still with no fear of being locked out. Handy if it is raining, for example.

To each his own. This has worked for us, but it is not for everyone.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #37
moaboy

My knob and dead bolt key are the same. I hide an extra key-not saying where-in an always accessible place on the TM- let your imagination run wild!
I figure if someone wants to get in, they will. However, usually if there is mischief, it is some "thirsty" kids unless you are at the wrong place at the wrong time and some desperate drug addict is looking for something to pawn...that's a problem, but could happen anywhere and more likely in an urban area not out in a more isolated CG.
I'm curious about the discussion of gaining entry via one of the beds. Never tried it, but think I will next time my TM is set up. Will report back of my success or not.
PS In PA we lived in a very safe neighborhood. Nevertheless, one summer some teenagers stole beer from the frig in our garage and a neighbors. Reckon thirst and youth are a bad combination no matter the location.