TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-12-2016, 07:35 AM   #11
Jampcourt

Sounds as if we don't need to be quite so exact--good to know. Thanks, Bill for the reassurance. There might be a time when we have no choice but to stay hitched.
2014 Ford Explorer with tow package, Tekonsha brake controller, Reese WDH, Renogy 100 W portable solar suitcase, modified for 7 pin plug. (Our battery is up front, under sofa). Modified to fill hot water heater and fresh water tank with unit closed.
Jampcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #12
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I drive up to 10 hours in a day, and only do an RV park if there are no National Forest campgrounds, or places I can see to boondock. But, after 8-10 hours, I don't want to take too much of a chance on boondocking locations.

That said, this summer we are doing a loop that will include boondocking on the north rim of the Grand Canyon, bypassing the National Forest campground nearby. We will also boondock near Crested Butte, CO, as I have found quite a few spots that appear to be good. I will take boondocking over neighbors almost any day, and am willing to take some chances to find decent locations.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:39 PM   #13
bigjoe

Thanks everyone for your input!
Old 03-13-2016, 07:29 AM   #14
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

One thing I'm wondering about after reading everyone's posts is whether anyone else drops down their tongue jack to take a little weight off the TV while they're hooked up. Rightly or wrongly, I do this when I stay hooked up overnight. I also drop down the stabilizer jacks because it only take a couple of minutes to do so using a cordless drill. As far as travel per day goes, I try to keep it down to 400 miles per day.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:45 AM   #15
ArkyDoodle

When you're still employed and only have so many vacation days, sometimes the travel distance gets longer to get where you're going. Case in point (not my usual preference), last summer we wanted to spend at least two weeks in Oregon but to get there we had to go 2400 miles.....Each way......So we broke it into three grueling 800 mile days --- and three more coming home. I swore I'd never do it again..........And yet i found myself doing it last weekend driving to Hartington (and will have that fun trip again when I pick up)......It can be done, ya gotta start by 6:00am or earlier and figger you'll be driving 'til dinner.....

Not too much worse than a day at work, right?? And I'd rather be driving, pulling my TM, than working any day!! FEB 2017 (Retirement!) can't come soon enough!!

TM - 2014 2417KS SilverTrail --- SOLD
Purple Line Enduro Caravan Movers
ArkyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:53 AM   #16
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Heck, heading west it is 500 miles just to leave Florida and you are in a different Time zone. Key West is 400 miles south. Orlando is pretty much the middle and this time of year traffic is bad everywhere. Alla them tourists (but they are the reason there is no income tax here).