TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
NYJeff

Default Questions from a Potential Buyer

Looking for any & all comments/critiques/advice/etc. We're looking hard at the 3023 so most of these questions are geared towards that model (but some are general in nature).

[1] I think I see in some of the TM website photos that the furnace is under the street side couch in the 3023. What else is under there? Or is there open storage space?

[2] I'll need the swing hitch if I want to put a 3023 into my garage. Can you use a WDH (weight distributing hitch) with the swing hitch? Is a specific brand or model required or will any work?

[3] We're looking at the 3023 primarily because of the 2 couches. We assume they are better cushioned (i.e., more 'comfy') than the 2619/2720 dinette. Any comments?

[4] RE the wardrobe, how do the contents stay in place when the unit rotates to the floor for travel? We never take clothes that require hanging; can it be fitted with containers to hold clothes rather than use the hanging bar?

[5] What size is the low profile A/C? Does it sufficiently cool the 3023? The TM website does not specify the size, nor does the brochure I have (which I think is last years).

[6] For owner's, are you satisfied with the amount of storage in the 3023? Both my wife & I still work so our longest camping trip is maybe 7 days. We also have the bed of the truck (protected by a cap) for overflow storage if needed.

[7] For those of you with one or both of the hanging cabinets - I assume you hang them "empty" & then stock them with contents. Or do you leave them loaded at all times. We think we'd want both cabinets but we both have back issues so we have a minor concern with lifting them into place once we're set-up at the campground.

[8] How functional (usable) is the 17 cubic foot of storage under the back queen bed? What "fits" in there?

[9] For anyone with the factory power tongue jack, what brand (& weight rating) do they supply? The option goes for $139 so I'm wondering if you can get a better unit (for not much more money) in the after-market.

[10] For anyone that chose the microwave rather than the oven, are you satisfied with that decision? Is it a decent m/w?

[11] On the TM website under the 3023 floorplan, if you click on "more photos", they show the 3 drawer dresser which to me implies it as an option. I don't see anywhere it would fit in the 3023 so I'm assuming the options shown here aren't "model specific". Does that make sense?

That's my list of questions for now. Thanks for the help.

Jeff
Old 01-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

I don't have your model but will answer the questions that I can.

[1] I think I see in some of the TM website photos that the furnace is under the street side couch in the 3023. What else is under there? Or is there open storage space? Don't know.

[2] I'll need the swing hitch if I want to put a 3023 into my garage. Can you use a WDH (weight distributing hitch) with the swing hitch? Is a specific brand or model required or will any work? Don't know.

[3] We're looking at the 3023 primarily because of the 2 couches. We assume they are better cushioned (i.e., more 'comfy') than the 2619/2720 dinette. Any comments? Don't know but I think they comfy is about all the same though the couches are probably longer then the dinnette.

[4] RE the wardrobe, how do the contents stay in place when the unit rotates to the floor for travel? We never take clothes that require hanging; can it be fitted with containers to hold clothes rather than use the hanging bar? We took wire hangers and hooked them over the bar and then sort of pushed the hanger hook closed with pliers...but the also make special hangers that snap close and some people have cover the bar with different things to keep the hangers from moving. We went 2500 miles round trip and noting came of our hangers...they were all hunting camo clothing, jackets, button up shirts and pants...nothing came off the hanger and the hangers stayed on the bar.

[5] What size is the low profile A/C? Does it sufficiently cool the 3023? The TM website does not specify the size, nor does the brochure I have (which I think is last years). Pretty sure it is 13,500 btu...we are in Florida and it is more then adequate.

[6] For owner's, are you satisfied with the amount of storage in the 3023? Both my wife & I still work so our longest camping trip is maybe 7 days. We also have the bed of the truck (protected by a cap) for overflow storage if needed. Don't have this model so...I don't know.

[7] For those of you with one or both of the hanging cabinets - I assume you hang them "empty" & then stock them with contents. Or do you leave them loaded at all times. We think we'd want both cabinets but we both have back issues so we have a minor concern with lifting them into place once we're set-up at the campground. The cabinets weigh nothing empty...if I have styrofoam plates and bowls, red plastic disposable cups, paper towels, and plastic ware...I can lift and hang it my self. It becomes more difficult if you add the big container of equal, coffee, a couple of your favorite coffee mugs and the large size of Mr. Planters p-nuts.

[8] How functional (usable) is the 17 cubic foot of storage under the back queen bed? What "fits" in there? I am guessing it is similar to what is in a 2720sl....I visited a coule of campers in 2720sls and I saw...towels and linens mainly on the shelf and under it on the floor area of the cabinet...but you could put pots and pans or folded clothing if you wish.

[9] For anyone with the factory power tongue jack, what brand (& weight rating) do they supply? The option goes for $139 so I'm wondering if you can get a better unit (for not much more money) in the after-market. We have one...and love it...it works like a champ! Ours is an Atwood.

[10] For anyone that chose the microwave rather than the oven, are you satisfied with that decision? Is it a decent m/w? I have one but have not used it enough to tell yet.

[11] On the TM website under the 3023 floorplan, if you click on "more photos", they show the 3 drawer dresser which to me implies it as an option. I don't see anywhere it would fit in the 3023 so I'm assuming the options shown here aren't "model specific". Does that make sense? I will have to go look at it at the site.

Enjoy the journey of the search for you new camper and then enjoy it after it arrives!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
NYJeff

countrygirl - thank you for taking the time to answer what questions you could. I've dreamt of becoming a TM owner for a number of years now so I hope this is the year it comes true!
Old 01-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

A few answers based on my 2720SL. Questions marked ?? are too model-specific for me to comment on.

1. ?? Is the fresh water tank under there?

2. Swing hitch + WDH? Yes, it works well. Having said that, someone here had a problem with a specific manufacturer's hitch, in which the WDH lift brackets interfered with the propane tanks. This was not a swing-tingue issue, though.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6632

3. ??

4. Wardrobe. We use the bar, and the hangers stay on the bar quite well. There have been several discussions (and some photos) by people who have put shelves, containers, or both, in the wardrobe.

5. Low profile A/C is RV Products Series 9000. I've forgotten whether it is 13,500 BTU or 15,000 BTU, but one or the other. It is more than enough for my 2720SL, and I've heard no complaints from owners of other size rigs. In extremely hot/humid weather, I imagine that it helps to park in the shade.

6. ??

7. Hanging cabinets. Most owners (including me) use them for lightweight non-breakable items (paper plates, plastic silverware, dish towels, etc etc etc) and leave them loaded at all times.

8. ??

9. ??

10. ??

11. ??

Hope this helps. You can answer a number of these questions by using the Search tool, to find previous discussions.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
NYJeff

Thanks for the input Bill; it's appreciated!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
mgoblue911

Default Thoughts from a 3023 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJeff View Post
Looking for any & all comments/critiques/advice/etc. We're looking hard at the 3023 so most of these questions are geared towards that model (but some are general in nature).

[1] I think I see in some of the TM website photos that the furnace is under the street side couch in the 3023. What else is under there? Or is there open storage space?

Fresh water tank and pump, along with associated plumbing. Pretty much fills that side of the space. However, the balance of the space is available for storage. We can get 4 chairs (the type that fold up into long tubular bags), a folding table (similar style to the chairs), and a few more "soft" items easily into this space.

[2] I'll need the swing hitch if I want to put a 3023 into my garage. Can you use a WDH (weight distributing hitch) with the swing hitch? Is a specific brand or model required or will any work?

I don't have a swing hitch, but I love my Equalizer WDH.

[3] We're looking at the 3023 primarily because of the 2 couches. We assume they are better cushioned (i.e., more 'comfy') than the 2619/2720 dinette. Any comments?

I cannot compare them to the other TM models, but our couches are both very comfortable, particularly with our little footstool that we carry. We have the red microfiber fabric, and love it for its comfort, appearance, and its "cleanability". Requires a specific cleaner, but with two kids under 11, an insignificant investment.

[4] RE the wardrobe, how do the contents stay in place when the unit rotates to the floor for travel? We never take clothes that require hanging; can it be fitted with containers to hold clothes rather than use the hanging bar?

We rarely hang any clothes in here either. For us, it is the perfect place to store bedding (sheets, pillows, etc...). When we set up and the bedding goes on, it become "the place" for our dirty laundry bags. Packing up, return the linens and put the laundry in the TV. In colder weather, it is also ideal for all of the jackets.

[5] What size is the low profile A/C? Does it sufficiently cool the 3023? The TM website does not specify the size, nor does the brochure I have (which I think is last years).

The AC in my 3023 will frost out anyone in any conditions. While I have not been to Death Valley with it, I have camped in the open in 95-100+ temps. The TM is always cool, and the AC doesn't have to run continuously to achieve it. One downside to the unit though, the fan does run continuously. Just the compressor kicks on and off according to the built in thermostat. And as you will see from several other posts on the forum, it is pretty loud. However, at night, I find the constant noise less of a sleep interuption than the furnace kicking on and off in cold weather. Also, the AC does produce a significant amount of condenced water in humid conditions. So paying attention to where and how the water is running off the roof for each unique set up is important.

[6] For owner's, are you satisfied with the amount of storage in the 3023? Both my wife & I still work so our longest camping trip is maybe 7 days. We also have the bed of the truck (protected by a cap) for overflow storage if needed.

We have both of the "add on" cabinets (over the sink and over the stove). We feel that the storage capacity of the 3023 is one of its best features. The wardrobe, the cabinet under the back bed (this is much larger than you would think, though getting to things can be a little tricky), all of the cupboard space on the stove side, under the sink, the additional microwave drawer, space under the larger couch, drawers under the small couch, an unexpected, but valuable space between the drawers under the small couch, the too small but utilized nonetheless cabinets above the front bed, bathroom cabinets, exterior cabinet in the back, and finally the bumper storage. TM has utilized every inch very cleverly IMHO.

[7] For those of you with one or both of the hanging cabinets - I assume you hang them "empty" & then stock them with contents. Or do you leave them loaded at all times. We think we'd want both cabinets but we both have back issues so we have a minor concern with lifting them into place once we're set-up at the campground.

We leave ours filled. Obviously, we pack these with light items. Breads, paper plates and cups, oven mitts, plastic cups, etc... The empty cabinets are "extremely" light. Nothing like a household cabinet. My DW leaves the cabinets for me to hang if they are loaded. Otherwise, hanging empties is a none issue.

[8] How functional (usable) is the 17 cubic foot of storage under the back queen bed? What "fits" in there?

As mentioned above, this space is much larger than you would initially think. However, the space to the left that is behind the stove side drawers, is a little tough to get to. So we put things there that we don't routinely need every trip (board games, spare supplies, beach towels, etc...). The easily accessable space in the middle always catches our bath towel and clothes overflow.

[9] For anyone with the factory power tongue jack, what brand (& weight rating) do they supply? The option goes for $139 so I'm wondering if you can get a better unit (for not much more money) in the after-market.

My TM is stored for the winter so I cannot check brand and wt rating. What I can say is that it has never failed, I can't imagine life without it, and don't ever leave the manual crank handle in it when operating it in power mode (my TM salesperson almost knocked herself out during our first visit to see the TM's). My crank is buried deep in the back bumper storage. I have never needed it.

[10] For anyone that chose the microwave rather than the oven, are you satisfied with that decision? Is it a decent m/w?

The combo micro/oven/broiler is an impressive piece of equipment. It is a powerfull micro (i.e. popcorn in less than 3 minutes). You do not have to do anything to it to use it as an oven too. I have not grilled anything directly on the stainless steel turntable because I think that cleaning it and the oven would be challenging. We love this appliance.

[11] On the TM website under the 3023 floorplan, if you click on "more photos", they show the 3 drawer dresser which to me implies it as an option. I don't see anywhere it would fit in the 3023 so I'm assuming the options shown here aren't "model specific". Does that make sense?

The 3 drawer dresser is not a stand alone item. It basically is the last cabinet on the stove side, and sits under the wardrobe. These are three large drawers. This is where the DW and I store all of our clothes for our trips (kids clothes go in the four drawers up by the front bed). You have to watch the total weight in the top two drawers and support them if you pull them all the way. But overall, this is great use of space.

Jeff
If there is anything else, by all means ask. Obviously, we love our 3023. But that would not preclude me from being honest about shortcomings or annoyances.

Welcome to the forum. You will like it here.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #7
13dano

Let me chime in with a couple of opinions:

Go with the factory option. I bought mine on sale from camping world and it was $159. Plus I had to install it and run the wiring myself, though it wasn't a lot of work. Well worth it in my opinion.

We have the microwave and I believe ours is a combo microwave/convection. We like it although it isn't the largest size out there.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #8
NYJeff

Thank you for the detailed response mgoblue911. What year is your 3023? I may have to contact you with more specific questions.

Your username makes me ask - how did you become a MI fan (I notice you're in IL)? I'm a transplanted Yooper. Great game by Henne & the boys!!
Old 01-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
NYJeff

13dano - thanks for the comments. I added my power tongue jack on my TowLite & it's not a hard project (as you noted). I just thought if TM put a lightweight model in, I might be better off going after-market.

I didn't realize the M/W was a combo unit (which makes it a no brainer in my mind!).
Old 01-07-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
Freedom

I didn't realize the M/W was a combo unit (which makes it a no brainer in my mind!).
One thing to keep in mind, obviously, if you're boon-docking the Micro/convection oven isn't much good. (Unless you have a pretty big generator.) We like having the gas oven, and we take along a microwave oven, but it's nice to be able to use the oven when we don't have shore power.