TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-31-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
krusen

Default Alternate A/C mounting options

I'm a prospective buyer of a pre-owned 2009 2027 unit with a roof mount A/C , but I would like to move the A/C off of the roof so that I can open the TM inside of my garage. I've noted that some have made an aftermarket modification to create a cabinet/side exhaust unit (http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...t=resin&page=2) , but that's a pretty intense modification to the trailer that I think could negatively affect re-sale value if I were to put the roof mount unit back on.

Ideally, I would like to try to replace the roof A/C with an alternative that can be removed in the future when it's time to sell. In braninstorming ideas, I've come across this vendor (http://www.danhard.com/revised%20cat...%20Catalog.pdf) that offers component A/C units for semi's and other vehicles where the quiet cooling coil/blower is inside and the noisy compressor/ heat dissipation coils can be located outside. On the surface this sounds like a great idea, but I am curious if anyone has tried this on their TM. I'm thinking of putting the compressor on the tongue, but that may be too much weight too far forward. Another option would be to hang it off of the bicycle rack bracket on the back; but that would likely bounce it to death. Worst case from a noise perspective, I could mount the compressor inside where others mount the side A/C, but still put the heat dissipation fans/coil under the camper.

If anyone has other creative thoughts or vendors that offer similar packages with automatic thermostats please pass them along.

One final question would be whether a standard roof vent would fit neatly over the opening left when I removed the roof A/C unit.

On a side note, I assume that since the A/C is a factory option that I'll be able to adjust the tension in the arms to compensate for the lack of weight when I remove the roof A/C. If someone knows that this is an invalid assumption please let me know that too

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
camp2canoe

Older TMs had side mount air conditioning but people have advised us that it was not as effective as roof mount units. Since the air is a factory option, the tension can be adjusted for its absence. It just seems as though you're contemplating running up a considerable expense, and probably compromising the value of your TM, without a great upside potential. Just as a thought, you might look into a "swamp cooler" and see if that would meet your need. - camp2canoe
Old 06-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Check out the specs on this "Ductless mini-split" model:
http://www.aafeders.com/products/ac/...3SEERSpecs.pdf

It draws under 10A on the 12,000BTU model and it's heating and cooling.

The total weight is ~120# and the outside unit is 33" wide X 20" deep X 22" high........not sure where that would fit.....but if you had quick disconnect couplings, you could set it on the ground while in use and inside the camper while towing....You could also leave it at home, when not needed (which might be 90% of the time)..

You could even have flexible and/or quick disconnect hoses made if you wanted to install indoor unit in the ceiling somewhere Like where the front, overhead cabinets are).

If Fedders doesn't have a solution for your AC needs, it doesn't exist:
http://www.aafeders.com/products/ac/window&wallac/#10
Just go to the menu on the left and click on, "Air Conditioners"
To see the one that I referenced, click on, "Ductless mini-split"

--------------------------

BestBuy has a selection of "Portable" AC units. However, they are not very efficient. One of the apt buildings that our company manages has no AC in the apts. Some tenants have tried many different styles of these and haven't found them suitable. We have even had them professionally installed and properly ducted....the "Ductless Mini split" units are FAR superior but they cost more.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Air-Cond...d=abcat0907004
Old 06-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusen View Post
...On a side note, I assume that since the A/C is a factory option that I'll be able to adjust the tension in the arms to compensate for the lack of weight when I remove the roof A/C. If someone knows that this is an invalid assumption please let me know that too....
That amount of weight change would require that the torsion bars be changed out for a lighter version.
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote