TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
SneakyFrog

We need some help. DH was reading through the manual it talks about grounding the unit and connecting a ground lead, but no ground lead was provided. Is this a necessary component to run the generator safely - any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 04-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
SneakyFrog

DH found a short discussion on an Airstream forum. Here is the link if anyone is interested. I guess we'll consider grounding it to a pipe if there is one around.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:34 AM   #3
ng2951

I did not see anything definative in that Airstream forum. I still wonder what the value would be of earth grounding the generator when the TT is isolated from ground.

The other concept that has not been really explained is why an onboard generator does not need to be grounded. I see those things fired up all the time and when did you see a ground rod anywhere around the TT?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

SS&FCN have done some real nice work here. The Internet is full of misinformation, guesses, and "my buddy says ..." stories, but very little real knowledge. This is especially troublesome to me, since I am an electrical engineer, and I didn't know the answer. I've spent hours drawing little diagrams and trying to find the issues.

The NEC is the gold standard. In its hundreds (thousands?) of pages, it covers everything about how to do electricity. SS&FCN have uncovered the parts that answer our questions. If I'm reading correctly, the important conculsions appear to be
  • you DO NOT need to drive a ground rod or ground stake (thank goodness)
  • you DO need to use a sufficiently-heavy three-wire extension cord, in good condition, between the generator and the trailer. A two-wire cord is absolutely forbidden.
  • you SHOULD add a separate grounding wire between the generator ground lug and the trailer frame.

Thanks to you guys for straightening this out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
ng2951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
...Thanks to you guys for straightening this out...
And gal...

One of the electrical people I talked to about this said the reason you see them grounding generators, is that they do not want their people to forget to ground when they should.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Sorry 'bout that. I use "guys" to mean plural people of any age and gender. I think I picked it up from my kids, who seem to have done it since birth.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

My 5 y/o grand daughter went to the same language school as yours', when she's the boss the rest of the family is "guys".

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
ng2951

I hope everyone knows I was being tongue & cheek...though be aware wife hit 4 targets in 4 seconds with her shotgun...
Old 04-21-2008, 11:16 PM   #9
SneakyFrog

Thank you so much for finding the answer to the question, ng and Bill.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
mtnguy

OK, after reading through this post, the majority consensus is that grounding is probably not necessary.

But just in case I do decide to ground my generator, I have a question:
I understand that sand is not a good ground. That being said, if I place a ground rod a foot or so into the sand, wouldn't it "probably" follow that ground instead of me touching the generator in the case of a catastrophic failure of the generator wiring. Doesn't ground usually follow the path of least resistance, and hopefully that being the rod in the sand instead of me standing on top of the sand somewhat insulated by shoes??

Thanks to all for a great thread here.

Chap