TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #1
Gwenne & Len

Default Where to stay near Mountain Pass, Ca?

We will be driving from Sequoia to Zion in april, and I need a recommendation on where to spend the night between these 2 places. I think it's too far for one day, and don't want to stay in Las Vegas. Any suggestions? We'll be taking 58 to 15.......I see there are boon docking places in Mountain Pass, but what if they are full? Is it better to stay down by Barstow?
2012 Highlander
Leelanau County, Michigan
Gwenne & Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

The last time I did Tehachapi to Vegas it was indeed too long, and that was without a trailer. I've not camped out there before.

While you are on 58, stop at the Tehachapi Pass and see a train pass over itself and around itself. Stop at Mojave Spaceport and see Spaceship One and the Rotary Rocket Roton. Go by the hangers of Virgin Galactic and see if you can get a peek at White Knight II and Cosmic Girl, go by Scaled Composites too. On one end of the field is the Orbital ATK "Stargazer", which they use to drop-launch a rocket and which is the last operating L-1011. Just driving around you can see some interesting rocket stuff out on the street. There is also a jet graveyard there.

Edwards Air Force Base tours are full through July.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
Gwenne & Len

So I found a route someone here mentioned a while ago - over 190 through Death Valley.....I called an RV park in Pahrump - one drives through the mountains to get there. So, is the route through Death Valley and down to Las Vegas through the mountains? I"m really trying to avoid mountains when we can.......Tehachapi sounds interesting, maybe worth the extra driving, and it looks like there's no way to avoid Las Vegas.
2012 Highlander
Old 02-19-2017, 07:43 PM   #4
digditches
Site Sponsor

It's definitely too far to drive from Sequoia to Zion in one day ... and there's no way to avoid Las Vegas. You shouldn't have a problem driving through Vegas in the middle of the day with a trailer. Just be sure to avoid the morning and evening rush hours.

I'd also not recommend driving through Death Valley with a trailer. There's not a lot of services and depending on the time of year it will be very hot.

If you want to make it a two day drive, I'd recommend Valley of Fire just north of Las Vegas for the second night. We did a "don't go more than 5 feet from your car" drive through a couple of years ago and are anxious to go back.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:26 PM   #5
Gwenne & Len

Thank you for your confirming info. I had decided it is too mountainous getting to Pahrump, but the lack of services is also important. I have booked at a park near Barstow, and will drive through Las Vegas in the late morning. Hopefully that will work......too bad all roads lead through Vegas!! oh well.....
2012 Highlander