TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #1
ChefLamont

Default Oven Question

So I am still casually looking while trying to sell property and free up funds. As part of that I have been thinking through what I think are my needs/wants/priorities list. I think for us a strong preference will be having the oven instead of the optional microwave. I am not sure it is a deal killer, but it would definitely be desirable. I have seen a couple of campers on RVTrader or Craigslist that looked great but dont have the oven.

This led me to the question I have not seen discussed. Has anyone ever switched their trailer back to an oven. I am no master cabinet maker, but I am somewhat capable with woodworking tools. Would it be a matter of cutting out that cross bar and fitting it in, or is it a bigger surgery than that? Just curious as I have been looking.

I have also thought about mitigating that with a big(ish) toaster oven, but not knowing how much dry camping we would likely get into, I dont want to think that is the best or primary option.
ChefLamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:17 PM   #2
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

Not really an answer to your question, but we love the oven in our TM, made fresh hot biscuits and a mac n Cheeze in it so far. and I gotta say. it beats the microwave and toaster oven for doing stuff like that. Besides you can pop a small microwave in the lower cabinet and bring it out when set up.

I don't think it would take too much work to fit in a stove top with oven unit though.

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:00 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I have had the oven completely removed (which only took 5 min) to reinforce the cabinets so that it is more securely mounted. It certainly isn't mounted in there with much. I haven't seen up close how the microwave is mounted, but assuming the outer cabinetry is there (what you see when everything is installed), I would think you could easily retrofit the supports you need to install an oven with some hand tools. Some hand cut 1x2 or 2x2 lumber is what you'd need, as well as some glue, screws, and clamps.

You can see what I did here, at post #18:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10246

As you can see, it doesn't take much to mount the oven. That was 3.5 years ago, and I haven't had to do anything to the installation since that time.

Also, that thread is a reminder to everyone with factory-installed ovens to check all corners of the range to be certain the propane line is not rubbing up against it.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:15 PM   #4
Sterman
Site Sponsor

I would definitely would go with the oven, if you think you'll use it, and it sounds like you will.
You can get small counter top microwaves for cheap, but RV ovens are expensive.

It is nice to have hot cinnamon rolls with your coffee in the morning while camping!
Old 01-20-2016, 07:36 AM   #5
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

I think the amount of dry camping you plan on doing would be a consideration-we have the oven and are happy with it
Old 01-21-2016, 05:32 AM   #6
ChefLamont

Thanks Dave. Your post was the nudge I needed to become a site sponsor (couldnt see the link). I have gotten enough wisdom and information from the forum already that it has been worth the 12 bucks. I am sure if/when I become an owner, it will be that much more worth it. Will take a look at the link once I get my backstage pass.

Others: the question was not as much about the choice between the two. I am convinced that the oven (and cheapo add on microwave on the counter) is the way to go, dry camping or otherwise. I was just wondering, as I am looking at used models, if I find one that is awesome in every other way, how difficult it would be to go from the optional microwave back to the oven. I know the oven units are readily available - for about 500 bucks - I just didnt know if there would be a ton of carpentry to fit it in there properly.

Thanks for the insights as always.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I wouldn't say that a ton of carpentry is needed. But the cabinets, including the one that holds the oven, are built of rather lightweight materials, which makes supporting and bracing something as heavy as an oven and stovetop a challenge. In most of the cabinetry, there is nothing that will hold a screw, for example, so as Dave said, you need to plan on gluing a lot of bracing in place, and then screwing into that. Quite manageable, but it will need some thought and planning.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #8
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Just an observation but I have the Sharp Microwave which is also a toaster oven and you can use as either.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:56 AM   #9
ChefLamont

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
I have had the oven completely removed (which only took 5 min) to reinforce the cabinets so that it is more securely mounted. It certainly isn't mounted in there with much. I haven't seen up close how the microwave is mounted, but assuming the outer cabinetry is there (what you see when everything is installed), I would think you could easily retrofit the supports you need to install an oven with some hand tools. Some hand cut 1x2 or 2x2 lumber is what you'd need, as well as some glue, screws, and clamps.

You can see what I did here, at post #18:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10246

As you can see, it doesn't take much to mount the oven. That was 3.5 years ago, and I haven't had to do anything to the installation since that time.

Also, that thread is a reminder to everyone with factory-installed ovens to check all corners of the range to be certain the propane line is not rubbing up against it.

Dave

That's interesting. Sounds like even if I got one with an oven it would be worth the time to dig in there and check things out. If I retrofitted, I will have to work on the line anyway.

Great insight. Thanks.