TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Lan Seaton

Default Dometic RM2310 + general hardware questions

Should my fridge keep food cool in 85-95 degree weather? (I've got a 1999 3023) I know the adsorption models have ambient temperature limitations.

I added a custom docuted fan to the top vent which seems to do a far better job of sucking air through. I just added another 3" of fiberglass wrap insulation to the heater. W'll see what that does.

A few questions on parts.
Where can I find the original curtain guides? TM does not have a source for these?
I'm also looking for the plastic clip that keeps the upper door closed when traveling, 1/8" T-Bulb weatherstrip for the door, and a few plastic upright shields. Does anyone have a good source for these?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
rumbleweed

With the added fan, the fridge should keep food cold at 90. Mine does and yes the fan makes a big difference. For the small parts you are looking for, I would try any major RV dealer. Other than the curtain fasteners, they should have something that will fit and work. Several people have found alternatives for the curtains, just do a search.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
T and C
TrailManor Master

What is a "custom docuted fan"?

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Lan Seaton

my typing is not so good on this small keyboard...That would be customer ducted. I built one out of stainless and a 12vdc fan I got from a salvage store. The stainless also serves as a heat sink....it worked well in my aliner and fits the TM. (Not sure how to attach a photo....

I tried online searches for the T-bulb weather strip, curtain strips, and latch, several times and was not successful
Old 07-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Lan -

The existing fan should suck hot air DOWN through the dryer hose and out through the floor of the compartment. Occasionally an owner reverses the airflow direction, and it doesn't work. If it blows upward, it won't work.

My experience is that setting a small battery-powered circulating fan (Camping World has them) sitting on a shelf in the refrig helps a lot, especially if you (like me) tend to pack the refrig quite full.

Just as a minor thing, these are "absorption" refrigerators. "Adsorption" is a whole different thing.

And just as a matter of forum etiquette, it isn't considered good to put several different topics in a single post. Makes it hard to keep the string of responses separate, and makes it hard to search for responses later. Putting each question in a separate post, and each in its own appropriate forum, is a better idea.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Lan Seaton

The OEM fan is sucking air down and out like it should. (No restrictions visible in the vent/duct.) It's not very powerful.

I bought the "D" cell inside type fan. It helps a little. Not much.

I even freeze refreeze bottles at night and rotate them into the fridge.

On "MAX" I've seen between 32-40F in the fridge (with two 3-quart water bottles). It goes as low as 2-10F in the freezer. I was hoping for possibly 35F max in the fridge, but can't seem to tweak it down that low. (It provides roughly the same results on propane as 115VAC.)

I don't see enough appreciable inside temperature change when using different settings on the thermostat. I wonder if the T-Stat is working right??

Yes, I confirmed it's absorbtion in the manual....I thought I read adsorbtion.

I hope this doesn't mean I need a rebuilt ($750) cooling unit. Nobody I can find seems to want to repair the cooling unit. For $750, the Waeco compressor units start looking real attractive.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Thumbs up

A few questions on parts.
Where can I find the original curtain guides? TM does not have a source for these?
Hi,
I recently replaced all our curtains and saved all the old guides! You are welcome to to them! Let me know where you are and I'll ship them!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
rumbleweed

When using the fridge with the TM open, I find that the OEM fan is of little help and may actually hurt cooling. When the TM is open, you want the cool air coming in the bottom and going up and through the fins and out the top vent. I find the bottom fan disrupts that flow and hinders the cooling. I used a piece of aluminum to make an L bracket and mounted a 12V 3" computer cooling fan in the upper center of the top vent. This draws out the heated air and allows cool air to enter the bottom vent and flow up over the condensing coils. I added a separate switch under the fridge so I can turn it off at night.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Bob -

Do you find this fan improves the cooling significantly over what you had before? A couple of degrees (2-3) perhaps?

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
Scott O

It has always been my impression that this type of refrigerator is good for roughly 40 degrees lower than the ambient temperature. So if it is 90 outside about 50 is the best you can expect.