TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
Leo Garlitz

Does anyone know how I can shut off or disable this link diversion by microsoft? I have seen this before with other mail links but cannot find any browser settings. When this happens it starts internet explorer even if clicked in foxfire.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Garlitz View Post
Does anyone know how I can shut off or disable this link diversion by microsoft? I have seen this before with other mail links but cannot find any browser settings. When this happens it starts internet explorer even if clicked in foxfire.
Not 100% sure with info provided but from what you are saying you may need to set your default programs settings to use FireFox also you can set what programs your computer will use with certain file extensions.

Just run a search for default programs it the link isn't already on your start menu.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #13
lnussbau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Windows live ID? There is nothing on this board to require that. I think it is something on your computer. As Billy posted, a check or Paypal will do just fine.

And by the way, I agree with you - I don't do any of that privacy-busting stuff either.

Bill
Bill is right, there's nothing here like that. I'm not sure what "Windows Live ID" is, but it sounds like Microsoft and doesn't sound like something I'd want to deal with.

Perhaps you've got something set up weirdly in your computer (or failed to undo something Microsoft did???).
Old 01-17-2010, 07:01 AM   #14
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Leo,

See if the article helps:

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...essenger-2009/

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #15
rumbleweed

TO disable Windows live : Found this on another help site.

The Windows Live Messenger previously known as Windows Messenger is already preinstalled with the usual range of Windows operating systems. However, there are many users who still prefer using the other instant messaging software instead of Windows Live Messenger software. Moreover, if one is not sure of using this in future or still have some qualms using it, he can always disable this messaging software rather than completely uninstalling it from the system, so that restoring the program at any given point of time in future becomes easy.

Though this instant messaging program runs on Windows XP, Windows Vista or any later version of Windows operating systems, the user still doesn't have the option to install the program while installing these operating systems. It is only when one has a supported operating system; he can easily go ahead with disabling the Windows Live Messenger.
Simple Steps for Disabling the Windows Live Messenger:

1- The option to disable this instant messaging software is not available on the client software's graphical user interface, so one has to proceed with clicking the "Start" menu option or by pressing the Windows button on the keyboard.

2- The next step is to click on "Run", but for Windows Vista you need to type 'Run' on the Start Search box and then click "Run".

3- When the run box appears, type 'services.msc' on the open textbox, after which you click 'OK'. This will take you to open the "Services" window with a list of services.

4- In this list of running windows services, look for 'Windows Live Messenger' or 'Windows Messenger' and double click on it to disable the Messenger.

5- It will then prompt you to change the startup type in which case you need to click 'Disabled' from the drop down menu options.

6- Finally click "Stop" on the Service Status section to disable the Messenger completely and then click 'OK' after the service is stopped.

However, sometimes disabling this messaging client software means not going for the automatic start-up of your Windows Live Messenger along with your operating system. You can also disable this automatic start-up of your Windows Messenger with this procedure:

1- Simply sign-in to your Windows Messenger using your username and password.

2- Go to 'Tools' and click on 'Options', and in options window click on "sign-in".

3- Then go to "automatically run Windows Live Messenger when I log on to Windows" after signed-in, and check the check mark and un-check the box if it has the mark.

4- Go to "allow automatic sign-in when connected to the internet" option and un-check the box.

5- Finally click 'Ok' to exit.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #16
Leo Garlitz

Default problem with mailto resolved

Finally figured out what my problem was. Unknown to me both IE and FF recognize 'mailto' which is a 'link diversion' which will start your choice of mail service to send email. This can be inserted by any poster in the forum who wants to provide an easy way for reader to email respond to them.

Basically browser recognizes the 'mailto' and starts a new window with the users choice of email program and inserts the poster's email address into the email program as the 'TO:" address. I never use this and my diversion was defaulted to 'rundll32.exe' which starts IE directed to the Windows live login screen. This is probably intended to be hotmail or other microsoft services but with no login info you get the login screen.

The FF fix is while in browser select 'tools/options/applications' and locate content type 'mailto'. To the right should be dropdown which will let you select mail service; my first option was 'rundll32.exe' but others available were yahoo! mail, Gmail and others. By selecting yahoo!mail (my mail service which is always logged in) I can now automatically respond to email. If your 'mailto' produces unusual results then setting this option may help your case. By the way you will not see 'mailto' in the post; instead the poster email address will appear and the 'mailto' diversion is in the background.

Hope this helps someone because it has bothered me for a long, long time!!
Old 01-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #17
PopBeavers

Quote:
Hope this helps someone because it has bothered me for a long, long time!!
Thank you for posting the solution. Too often someone asks for help and then disappears, leaving us wondering what happened.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #18
my toys

Default subscription

When I joined in December 2008, I sent a check for my subscription. I waited a month and still was not a member. I got tired of waiting and did a subscription through paypal. The check was finally cashed and I have my confirmation number from paypal. Last month I got an email stating that my subscription was ending. Now, I cannot access some posts. I think I am due another year. I have tried to reslolve this through email. Now I am posting here. I am hoping someone can help me with this. Thanks, Nancy
Old 01-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #19
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Nancy -

Who did you email, and at what address? Did you get a response?

If you paid twice, you should be good until November 2010. I will ask Chris to check into it - he is real good when things get messed up.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #20
Leo Garlitz

I have sent several emails in attempt to pay with check; I don't do paypal. Am dismayed with the story of 'nancy in western MD' and wonder if any good can come from this. Bill, would you please email at [email protected] with info to pay by check?