TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2003, 10:52 AM   #1
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Default Difference in propane bottle type

As I am considering all the options and advantages of the different TM models I noticed a difference in the propane bottles used on the front bed models vs. the slide out models.

It looks like the models with the bed up front use the standard exchangeable propane tanks.  But the slide out models have them mounted on their side and have a different looking handle on them.  Does that mean you have to have them refilled rather than exchanged?  
Or is refilling the only way to do it?

What about cold weather covers for the tanks?  I presume that is what they are for.  I have never used this type of propane bottle before.  :

Bob W.
BobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 11:28 AM   #2
Sinclue
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Difference in propane bottle type

Don't really know much about the exchange system, we've always had our tanks refilled.  It just occurs to me that there seem to be more places to get a tank refilled than do exchanges (at least in the Western US).  Doesn't an exchange mean you have to go to that particular store?  What do you do when you travel and that store isn't around?  

jim
Sinclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 11:29 AM   #3
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Bob,

The slide out models have to have the propane tanks lying down inorder that the slideout will clear the tanks. Yes you would want to take them off and get them refilled instead of exchanging the tanks. I have a 2002 3326 King, and the tanks also have guages on each bottle so you can tell how much propane is left. The tanks come off easily, and they go back on just as easy. On the tanks, it does say to keep them lying down when transporting them to get refilled.

The propane tanks on the other models also have a guage so you would not want to exchange the bottles.

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 08:00 PM   #4
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Hey, Bob Wilson,
I notice you are new to this bulletin board. Welcome.  Let me suggest that it is not cost effective to "exchange" empty propane tanks for full ones. ??? If I recall correctly, exchanges cost from $15 and up for a 20# (5 gal) tank. Your local propane company, or Flying J station will refill your existing tanks for under $10 (depending on the price/per gal. in your area.

Horizontally mounted tanks, as used on the slide-out units, use a different OPD valve, since the tank lays down. They should be refilled too, rather than exchanged.

As for covering the tank... those covers are not cold weather covers (not necessary with propane), but rather for "beauty" so the bare tanks & valves don't show. Keeps them clean too, from bugs, dirt & mud as you travel. You just have to wash off the cover, which is easier to do since it is made of plastic.

I hope this clarifies your questions. Happy travels.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:11 AM   #5
Happytrails

Yes, it is much cheaper to refill than exchange. One point to note though is an RV Dealer specifically warned me *not* to do an exchange with anyone carrying those "Blue Rhino" bottles. According to them, they get a tank in on exchange, refit the fill valve with their own specific valve, then they can't be refilled by anyone but themselves. I know it doesn't seem they could do this, but again, according to this RV shop, they do.....and have collected scores of free tanks in the process. Has anyone had any experience with this, or know more about it? As far as an exchange on the horizontal tanks, I've never seen it as more people exchange gas grill tanks rather than RV tanks. (though in other area's there very well may be places that exchange them). I do know the horizontal bottles cost a LOT more than the typical upright tank.

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.............[/glow]
Old 03-31-2003, 11:15 AM   #6
hal

One point about the horizontal bottles that hasn't been mentioned..... they do not need to be removed from the trailer to be filled.  Some propane dealers insist that like the vertical bottles, that they need to be removed.  The newer trailers should (may) have a sticker on them that spells this out.  Some time ago, someone on this site gave an email address where one could go to read about this issue and to print out a letter to hand to the dealer.

Also, it is  Federal law that propane bottles have an expiration date on them.  At that point, they are to be replaced or re-retrofitted.  The caution here is that it would be a shame for a novice TM owner to trade his brand new bottle in and in exchange get one that has less time on it.  It is possible that the date on some bottles may have already expired.  Look for the date that is stamped into the bottle.

Hal

Hal