TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-08-2013, 06:37 AM   #1
eplants

Default Replacing outlet

One of my outlets in my TM is no longer working and I wanted to replace it. When I removed it realized is was not a typical outlet. Are there any issues with replacing it with a traditional house outlet? I have checked and there is power to the outlet so I am certain it is the outlet.
eplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
rumbleweed

One of the outlets in the TM ( usually the one nearest the converter) is a GFI that is then wired to protect all the other outlets in the TM. First off be sure it is not working and not just a tripped GFI. If it is bad and it the GFI breaker you need to replace it with another GFI outlet wired in the same way or the other outlets in the TM will not be protected. If the outlet has a test button between the two sockets, it is the GFI outlet. Try hitting reset then check it again.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
eplants

It is a regular not GFCI outlet and only the top socket has stopped working. I just figured it would be easier and safer replacing it rather than trying to fix the connection issue.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
MisterP

I have not had a need to pull a TM outlet. Can you describe why it is not an "ordinary" one?

If the wires enter the sides instead of the back, they allow for use in thinner walls. They are available, just a bit harder to find.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
eplants

First of, the face plate and outlet are all one piece. To get to the wire connectors on the outlet you have to take off a back cover on the outlet. This reveals your wires. The wires are not cut but instead, snap into the back of the outlet where pointed wire clamps pierce the plastic coating of the wires and creates the circuit and hold it in place. This connection creates a loop that allows the same uncut wire to run to the outlet on the outside of the camper. I have seen this type of connection on low voltage wire but never regular. It all seems secure enough and leaves much less wire exposed if a wire were to come loose but I just do not know where to find that type of outlet.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
ELM-JLM
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eplants View Post
It is a regular not GFCI outlet and only the top socket has stopped working. I just figured it would be easier and safer replacing it rather than trying to fix the connection issue.
I have replaced the outlet in the bathroom with a typical 15 amp and it has worked fine! I also ran a pigtail from it to a convenient spot for the television!
PS: The right junction box for thin walls makes it easy!

08 2619 TM W/The Works, 15" wheels X 4 (2 spares),
2015 Ford F 150 Platinum

Sold to someone that loves travel and camping as much as we do!

Love the forum so always checking in!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ELM-JLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
MisterP

Does it look like this? Image tab on page includes picture of the back -

http://www.shoprvparts.com/product/3...ate-white.html
Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
eplants

Yep, that is it.