TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
Scopegeek

Default Visit to Yosemite National Park - Touleme Meadows Campground

Having recently visited Yosemite National Park, wanted to share some photos of the Park's sites and impressions of the Touleme Meadows Campgrounds.

This was our first visit to Yosemite. We normally visit National Parks in September or October after vacations are normally over for most people and kids have gone back to school. There are usually less crowds and this held somewhat true for Yosemite in late September. The crowds were smaller, but the other park campgrounds down in Yosemite Valley were full and potential campers were waiting each day for a spot to open up. Touleme Meadows had several open spots. The campground only has electricity and water at the campsites for the campsite hosts. It does have potable water for filling your fresh water tank and a dump station near the Touleme Visitor's Center. We chose stay at Touleme Meadows because we made reservations late after having purchased our TM. It was also closer to the East Entrance where we entered and I wasn't familiar with the Park and its road. Rather than take a chance on not being able to tow the TM down into the Valley, we parked it the Touleme Meadows Campground and drove down into the Valley on the two days we visited that part of the Park. I don't think the SportTrac would have had a problem towing the TM down and back out, but what we did was ok. Although I would consider Touleme Meadows Campground a primitive campground, it was pleasant during the day and cold at night (25 degrees). This would probably be the campground of choice for me during a summer visit - it would defintely be cooler than the Valley camprgrounds since it's at 8,900 feet.

Yosemite is a beautiful National Park. I've never seen that much granite. What impressive sites El Capitan and Half Dome were. The trip up to Glacier Point is worth the drive. From there you can practically see all of the major sites of the Park. Climbers were on both El Capitan and Half Dome that day.

Although I don't have pictures of Touleme Meadows Campground - I've included some shots of the Park's main attractions. In the order they appear below: Bridal Veil Falls, El Capitan, Glacier Point - Half Dome in background, Half Dome, Lone Tree, Tenaya Lake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bridal Veil Falls (224 x 338).jpg
Views:	549
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1612  
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2006, 08:39 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

WONDERFUL pics Rob. Thanks for reminding me of one of our favorite destinations.

Next, you gotta try Sequoia / King's Canyon!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:41 PM   #3
Scopegeek

Bill - after a period of time, should we delete a thread we've created to free up the space for photos? I'm at my max for photos now, even though I've made them as small as I can. I know you are a moderator and you seem to be the resident pro on how the forums work.

Thanks,
Old 11-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

No, don't delete the thread. In order to free up some space, you can either delete the photos from some of your old threads (but don't delete the text, which still might be interesting to members), or go back to those old threads and shrink the photos that are attached. There is a tutorial on this topic in the TM Reference Library (aka TM Info You Won't Find Anywhere Else).

Of course, the "elegant" solution is to stash the photos somewhere else - not on this TMO board. One excellent place is the space that our member DougW has set up for us at TMPhotos.org. This site is safe free of pop-ups and spam, has unlimited space, and only TMO Sponsors can put pictures there (though anyone can see them). Instead of attaching pictures to your post here on the TMO board, you send them to Doug's site and then include a link in your TMO post. Easy! Doug posted a tutorial on how to do this, also in the TM Reference Library.

Alternatively, of course, you could move some of the photos from your old posts onto Doug's site, which would then act as an archive. The resulting free space in your TMO account can then be used to attach pictures to your new posts.

Bill
Old 11-10-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
Scopegeek

I'm on the right track. I applied for an account on Doug's site last night. Just need to follow-up now and practice putting files there. Didn't see how to get to other members' pictures last night. Will look again tonight - waiting for Doug to establish an album for me. Once the album gets established, I'll indicate I've moved them to the website and provide the link.

Thanks again.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:31 PM   #6
Freedom

I've been onto that site several times and can't find any pictures other than the random ones that come up on the left side of the screen. No matter what I click on, nothing comes up. You might try using WebShots which is free unless you want to put hundreds of pictures on it. I have several thousand pictures on there and have never had anybody say they can't view them. You can also link to them like this: http://image38.webshots.com/38/3/46/...9LUQpgM_ph.jpg or to the whole album.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Jim -

The intro page to TMPhotos.org is a little busy, a little confusing, and (in my mind) a little annoying. Doug and I have discussed this, and I gather it is a standard format, over which he has no choice.

Try the following sequence.

1. Point your browser to www.tmphotos.org
2. Over on the left, click on XoopsGallery2. This should bring you to a page called Trail Manor Photo Gallery, which contains a graphic for each of 6 separate photo albums. One of them is called Doug's Photos, another one is mine (Bill's TM Tech Stuff), etc.
3. For the sake of example, click on the graphic for my album. It should bring up thumbnails of 9 separate photos, with a few words of explanation beneath each. Clicking on any thumbnail will bring up a larger pic.

Once you get past the first step, this is pretty simple. Does it work for you?

Interestingly enough, the Webshots link you posted doesn't work for me. FORBIDDEN!!

Bill
Old 11-11-2006, 04:44 PM   #8
Scopegeek

I guess I'm still blocked - I can't see anything but my Profile Edit page after selecting XoopsGallery2. Hopefully, I'll get access shortly.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:22 PM   #9
Doug W.

I just got you added. You do not need to login to view the pictures. I have a FAQ module to add, but I have been to busy to get it installed. I just got my 1 million dollar order from Cisco at work and I am not sure I will get to it until early in 2007. Here are some more detailed instructions on how to view the pictures:

1. In the "Main Menu" click on "XoopsGallery2" This will take you to the main gallery page. You can get back to this page in the Gallery, by clicking on Gallery right under the Gallery logo.

2. Next select the Album you want to view picture in, by click on the highlight (a random picture from that album) above the album tiltle. I will use "Album: Doug's Photos" for this demo.

3. You will then enter the album. The album may have pictures or just a group of other albums. You can tell, because the title of albums will always start with "Album:". For the demo, I will use "Album: Shower Modifications", so click on the highlight (random photo) above "Album: Shower Modifications".

4. This album has the pictures. You can tell they are pictures, because "Album: is not in the title. Click on the picture you want to see, by clicking on the picture above the title. For this demo, I will use the only picture "Shower Modification #5".

5. This will always display the picture in 640x480 or 480x640. To see a larger size you have two options:
a. Click on the down arrow in "Size:' on the top right side and slect the size you want. For the demo, I will use 1536x2048. this is normally the origanl phot that is uploaded. It will also disable the automatic resiziing IE will normally do by default.
b. Click on the link under "Full size (new window):", which will open the larger picture in a new window. IE might resize the picture in the window depend on the settings of the browser.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #10
Scopegeek

Thanks - right after posting this entry I received your private message notice. Wasn't pressuring you - I know you aren't sitting there waiting for people to request albums. I appreciate your efforts.