TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterman View Post
Does anyone know if The Car Show in CO Spgs. does a good job on the torsion bar tune ups? They're only 6-7 hr away from me, but the factory is a couple of days away.
Sterman -

The Car Show does a wonderful job on lift system work. I had mine done late last week, and the result was more than I hoped for. Will was terrific, the shells are now properly aligned, the TM opens and closes much more easily, the door closes properly, and - very important - my wife loves the result!

Incidentally, I'm not sure that the "factory tune-up" is the same as the "lift system tune-up". As you make your reservation, be sure to specify what you have in mind.

I'd like to hear from others about what is done on a lift-system tune-up vs a system tune-up. I may have this wrong.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:29 PM   #12
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Will let you know whats in a factory tune up once we find out. We might op out of some of the stuff if we have just done it.

We're looking at the last week in May, the week before the holiday to be near the factory. Thinking of camping near the factory and then have the tune up. We will then head to SMNP and then either head east into NC or go up the Blue Ridge Parkway. All depending on weather. If the weather is bad Maybe head down Natchez Trace to Vicksburg or go to Land Between The Lakes. Just have to figure out where we will be the Thursday through Sunday of the holiday weekend to make reservations.

I left a message with Ed to schedule the tune up.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:29 AM   #13
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
Will let you know whats in a factory tune up once we find out. We might op out of some of the stuff if we have just done it.

We're looking at the last week in May, the week before the holiday to be near the factory. Thinking of camping near the factory and then have the tune up. We will then head to SMNP and then either head east into NC or go up the Blue Ridge Parkway. All depending on weather. If the weather is bad Maybe head down Natchez Trace to Vicksburg or go to Land Between The Lakes. Just have to figure out where we will be the Thursday through Sunday of the holiday weekend to make reservations.

I left a message with Ed to schedule the tune up.
If you do LBL we preferred the COE CG at the north end to Hillmans Ferry which was way to big for our tastes. Both do reservations but the corp doesn't hit you with a $10 reservation fee.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:29 AM   #14
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I think that is where we stayed years ago. It was about as far north as we could camp and it was a COE location. I remember it was a returner. It had elec, water hookups, nice showers , many waterfront sites and the price was below the normal rate for a site with just elec.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

if you go to lbl, If you like off the beaten path, an under used campground is rushing creek , on the state line inside the park, on the Tennessee side of line, Kentucky side of park is dry! no hookups, basic baths and showers, but not much traffic,
and if you make a run towards n.c., have fun, real nice in my neck of woods.

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:07 PM   #16
moaboy

Bill, are you aware of exactly what they do and would you mind sharing the ballpark price of what they charge?
Thanks.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #17
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Moaboy –

The term “tuneup” implies that there is a pre-prepared list of things that they will do and things that they will check. By that definition, I did not have a “tuneup” done, and I should not have used that term. I have no special knowledge about “tuneups”, factory or otherwise. but let me tell you my experience. And let me say again that this experience relates only to The Car Show, and not the factory, and that it was some lift system work, not a “tuneup”. The following is taken from a PM that Tentcamper and I exchanged.

Over several years, the front shell of my TM had gotten progressively harder to lift. There was no adjustment available in the torsion bar settings - it had come from the factory with all adjustments set at max lift. Since I was going to be passing through Colorado Springs, I called the Car Show, described the problem to Will, and asked if he could fit us into his schedule to fix the lift problem. He agreed to do it, and commented that I might need two new torsion bars, since the old ones were at max lift and still too weak. On the appointed day I brought the TM to Will, we looked it over quickly, and discussed the work he would do. As I was leaving the shop, I realized that neither of had used the term "tune-up", although "system tune-up" was listed on the labor rate placard behind the service desk. I went back in and asked Will what I was passing up by not doing a tune-up. He replied "Most of it is stuff that you can do yourself if you are handy and have time. We check out at the basic systems in the TM. Does the charger work, does the battery have proper water level, does the door open smoothly, are the brake magnets OK, does the refrigerator run, does the water pump run, does the ceiling vent open and the fan run, does the toilet leak - a ton of that kind of stuff." Since I consdier myself to be handy, I opted not to sign up for the system tune-up, and let them concentrate on the lift system work.

I left, and he got his guys working on the lift system. As they were fixing it, they also (with my permission) did a lot of small stuff as they found the need, such as replacing the center hold-down latches (which were badly worn), greasing the slide-out wheels, adjusting the pocket stops, tightening the wall bracket near the entry door, routing the power cables properly, and many others. My TM has seen a lot of miles, and needed everything he did.

At the end of the day, we picked up the TM. He walked me through everything they had done, and my wife and I were VERY happy!

You need to be aware that his labor rate is $100 an hour, which is about average for the industry, I think. So don't ask him to do anything that is not worth this amount to you. I have no idea what goes into a "lift system tune-up", or a regular "system tuneup", but if the cost is $300, you can do the math. Anyway, I didn't do the "system tune-up", and didn't need it.

But I have a feeling that the factory in Tennessee uses the term "tune-up" to mean something different. Be sure you know before you go. At the bottom line, all I know is that The Car Show, where I have never been before, did a wonderful job on our TM.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #18
Sterman
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the info on The Car Show, Bill. I have heard nothing but good about them so far.
I think that I would need what you have just had done, an adjustment to the lift system.
I can check and fix most of the other stuff myself.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #19
moaboy

Bill, thanks very helpful. You'll get a big bonus at the end of the year for all the good info you dispense...!
Old 03-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #20
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Bill, did they replace the torsion bars since you said they were maxed out already? What was the solution in your case for ease of lifting?

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote