TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
oilfieldtrash

Default Sell Me On Trailmanor Trailers!!!

I have been looking seriously at Trailmanor trailers versus Starcraft Pop/up or Hi/Lo. My wife and I are in our mid-50's and have done the PUP thing. The question now is whether to go with Trailmanor or Hi-Lo. I like the easy towing of both of them but am somewhat also put off by the cost of both of them. We have been blessed where expense is not completely the bottom line. Just want to be assured that I am truly getting moneys worth if go with Trailmanor. Am thinking about either the 3124KB or even the 3326King. Haven't been to see one at dealer's yet. Nearest one is south of Fort Worth, Texas. Have some question due to reading this forum of sturdiness of units. Having had pop-up in past years, I know that there is always some degree of maintenance in keeping units up. Main thought is, are there any really bad issues with units due to design or functionality that can't be remedied with a little elbow grease? Also I don't want to go to this expense and year or two later, wish I had gone with full TT. Thanks for your input. P.S. We are both retired so time to get back into trailering is not problem.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
Senorsedona

Thumbs up Don't hesitate,,,

If you don't buy a TM you will be sorry in a couple of years. Check the forum for the trip to Alaska & back, no problems. In the years of RV'ing, I covered the gamit. The TM is the most fun, easiest to tow, the cheapest to travel with.

You'll hear much, much more from my fellow TM owners.

Jack
Old 09-05-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
rjohn60

My wife and I are new TM owners, having acquired a 1998 3124K. We towed it from NC to Kansas with a drop of 2 mpg only. It appears to be in excellent condition, and everything works like it is supposed to. After one night in the TM my wife, who is not a camper, said, "I like camping" and can't wait to go again. When opened the TM is a lot bigger than a popup or a Hi-Lo. I've never towed a popup, but others have told me that the TM is much easier to tow. I believe it; I often forgot it was behind me.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
mtnguy

I have never owned a Hi-Lo, have only been through a couple at RV shows, and they look really nice, but the TM is for me.

By my understanding, the Hi-Lo's are quite a bit heavier than the equalvalent TM. Hi-Lo's are 8' wide vs. 7'6" for the TM......that means a lot to me with a tractor trailer on either side of me in city traffic. I don't think the Hi-Lo's have a hard sided bathroom. I think you have to open the outside doors seperately. The 1s I looked at, you had to take down a table to make up your bed at nite.....I like the permanent bed.

On the positive side.....pushing a button on the Hi-Lo has to easier than raising the shells on the TM. It only takes me about 2 minutes to raise it, slide the beds out and secure the outside corners. But the inside work takes another coupe of minutes.....lowering the flaps, putting up the cabinet and extra drawer shelf, putting the bathroom walls up and wardrobe into place, and locking in the beds. None of that is a big deal or heavy work. But I understand you can raise the Hi-Lo in a minute or so, and everything is ready to go.

Check out http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=5437.
This couple sold their TM and bought a Hi-Lo.

Have fun checking out both makes, and many models.

Chap
Old 09-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
PopBeavers

We wanted the largest hard sided folding trailer that would fit in the garage, max length 19 foot 6 inches. I could not find anything bigger than the TM 2720 with swing tongue.

As we finish our third season I have no complaints.

We plan on keeping it until we retire, in about 11 years. Then we will get something bigger and give the TM to son and daughter to fight over.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
coulter

We are now on our second season with our TM, and LOVE it! We had spent the last several years camping in a nice pop-up and if you liked pop-up camping you will absolutely think you're in a Hilton in a TM. We have owned a relatively large TT, which I hated towing and parking, went to tents then the pop-up.
We also have close family members with a hi-lo, so I was able to really do some personal research when we were looking for something easy to pull, but with more convenience than the pop-up. I really like the way the TM expands when set up, there's much more space in there than it seems like when towing, that was one thing we liked about the pop-up, Hi-lo's don't have those large pull out beds, tend to be heavier, and over all the value for price was less IMO.
All RV's have maintenance issues that have to be tended to, but I haven't found the TM has any more issues than any of the rv's I have owned in the past. We've taken it down some pretty rough, dusty roads and haven't experienced any problems with things shaking apart.
I camp often without my DH, with just my daughter and young son, and it's very easy and fast to set up, then we are have the security of hard-sides, a full bath, and all the conveniences of home.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a TM to anyone, I think they are one of the better built rv's out there.
I think we will be camping in TM's for a long time to come.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #7
Doug W.

Just like most forums, there are going to be quite a few people here with problems. That is why they are here, to get help and it really does do not reflect poor quality in TM trailers. I actually started out looking to buy a Hi-Lo, because a friend had one when I was young and I always liked them. We wanted to go to Yellowstone, but they only allow hardsided trailers, so our popup would not work. We also are getting older and wanted something with a shower and toilet. I could not tow the Hi-Lo that had the permanent bed. That is when I stumbled onto the TM. We have a 2005 2134KS and love it. We have had a couple minor problems, but then we did with the popup also. Any trailer you own will have an issue from time to time. We do not have to sell you on TMs, they sell themselves. Great design, light for a trailer of it's size, hardsided, does not affect gas milage much, easy to put up and down. Still they are something you like or don't
Old 09-05-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
bfezel

We bought a lightly used 2004 3124KS last Fall and just got back from a 24 day trip out west (we're from Tennessee). Started out looking at Hi-Los but switched my sights to TM because of the fixed bed. We put 2 inch memory foam on the king bed and it sleeps like a dream. As you would expect with anything that bounces along behind you (and we did encounter some roads where bounce was a major concern) there are things that work loose, etc. Overall I'm well pleased with our choice. However, if I had a larger truck, and if fuel expense was not a consideration, I would have gone with a full size fifth wheel TT. As with everything in life, one has to figure out what works best in all the priorities we deal with.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #9
Allen1124

I agree with everything above, so won't repeat it all. We know someone who has had a Hi-Lo for 20 years. Their only complaint was no permanent bed. We are just completing our 1st year (with any RV). Be careful to select the right model for your needs. We purchased the 2720 last Fall and realized the 2720SL better suits our needs, so we purchased the SL this summer and the 2720 is for sale on this site.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=6237
We had several persons look at our SL while camping last week-end. They are always amazed at the size, features and quality (especially if they own a pop-up).
Yes, they are usually a bit surprised at the price, but usually realize the TM benefits.
You probably already realize that there is no ideal RV. They all have pros and cons. The key is what works best for you. Good luck!
Old 09-05-2007, 09:56 PM   #10
tucsoncarol
Site Sponsor

Default Either/or

My sister and her husband are on their second Hi-Lo, they love it. I didn't like the fit and finish of either of them. I thought they were too expensive for what you get. My brother-in-law, however, is who recommended TM to me. We do more camping, less RVing, they do the opposite. It is a tough choice, look at both. The minute we walked into a TM we knew it was right for us. I hope the answer is that easy for you.