TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
Jer and peg

Default any suggestions for audio system for tm?

Our 2015 TM did not come with a radio but is wired for one. Looking suggestions for a blue tooth audio system. Thanks Jerry
Jer and peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I would add a switch to turn on/off the radio and radio antenna. Dont need to use battery power these things when not in use.

We don't have these features, but if I got a new radio. I would look for bluetooth to play my music and one that has bluetooth speaker capability. It would be nice to have a bluetooth speaker to set outside on the table outside
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:39 PM   #3
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

I installed a JVC system, but I'm finding that I don't use it enough. In hindsight, I should have just gotten a good Bluetooth speaker that has a long battery life and go with that. I normally just download songs off my Amzn music account and stream a playlist I make.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:27 AM   #4
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Almost any "1-DIN" system can be installed ....

"1-DIN" refers to the short height standard size for car radio systems. But your "bluetooth speakers" idea is a good one: TM speaker wiring to front shell "overhead" speakers has been prone to short out for many people, grounding to the aluminum shell and losing sound (in one speaker, or the other).

Here's something else to think about: Do you want only music, or do you want video capability? And even if you want only music, you almost certainly want (at least) an "aux-in" jack, to play from a portable player loaded with your favorite albums. Even better than "aux-in" would be a USB or SDHC card interface, allowing you to load up huge numbers of albums (or several movies) all at once. Another thing to consider, if you often stay in campgrounds with Wifi Internet, is Internet Radio: Sounds better than FM; has vastly fewer commercials (sometimes none at all); and provides thousands of stations to choose from.

Video support is awkward and uncommon in a 1-DIN design, and (I'm guessing here, haven't opened my TM to measure it) 2-DIN probably doesn't fit. You can't have a screen which stretches above the countertop of the Fridge, because the bed needs slide over it when closing up.

But, with some slightly complex wiring, you could re-locate your "head unit" to somewhere else. (For example: by increasing the wire size of front shell 12V power and switching the lights to LED, you could install it above the bed. Or, with a small platform, at the cost of not being able to store the table in the original way, you could mount it underneath the dining table. (I've got considerable electronics down there, in my 2619.)

Powered by shell wiring and installed in the front cabinet, it would not remember stations, because the bathroom door electrical protection switch shuts down power to the "upper" shells when the door is collapsed. (But that's hardly a problem - when you travel, the radio stations are changing anyway.)

Many 2-DIN with video systems can support additional video monitors (those connections are intended for entertaining kids in the back seats of a car). If you get one with that capability, then you can watch videos on a screen which is separated from the "stereo head unit" installation. (But choose your "head unit" before buying little TV monitors, most provide only RCA video and not HDMI).

If you are ultra-serious, then an actual "Home Theater Hifi" can be used with a 120VAC *SINE-WAVE* power inverter where 120VAC is not available.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #5
mecicon
TrailManor Master

Lightbulb

Alpine CDE-HD148BT. Blue tooth, Sirius XM, HD and Pandora
'01 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3 L PSD 4WD (Rudolph) (Sold)
'18 Keystone Cougar 29BHS (Sold)
'15 Prime Tracer 25BHS (Traded)
'06 TrailManor 2619 (Traded)

:cwmddd:
mecicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #6
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb With Video running from 12V. (A "Pure Android" head unit.)

If shopping again, I would actually buy this one. Supports video on a 10.2" touchscreen (maybe big enough to watch in bed). Supports bluetooth, but maybe not for audio output. (Adapter might be needed). 2 RCA composite video outputs (for playing movies on bigger screens). Broadcast TV-In, if you wanted it, would need to be via adapter. But Internet TV comes within the Web Browser, exactly like using a cellphone.

This basically IS an Android cellphone with a built-in amplifier and connectivity features, and without a SIM card. It needs 12V power on a dedicated circuit; Solar Cable could be used to allow moving from a power connector under the table on to the bed, or it could possibly be done in an over-bed storage cabinet.

Although my car equivalent has excellent WIFI range, a unit inside the TM might need an external antenna (connected via USB dongle) to get good signal strength within the all-aluminum skin. There are cheaper versions of this thing, with smaller screens. But do not get a system with less than 2GB of onboard memory (and the octa-core processor). If interested, maybe try to stay with this particular mfgr, for "software support" reasons.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...809311796.html

Suitable speakers, boxed and unboxed, are readily available as "car audio upgrade" stuff.