TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2005, 01:10 AM   #1
wwjam

Red face Concerns about the TM bathroom and toilet.

We just bought a new 2720SL TM. We are waiting for it and hope to get it soon. I am excited and anxious both about owning a TM. It has been years since we have camped, and that was tent camping. One of the reasons I quit camping was that I didn't like tent camping anymore, or using the public restrooms. I've read many postings that were very helpful, but also read some negative postings about the toilet on the TM. Realizing that the bathroom walls on the trailer didn't go all the way up, and then reading about the toilet problems, I became horrified. Even to the point of not being able to sleep. All the more when thinking about our grown family, or guests going with us at times. I have issues with non private bathrooms, and close quarters with a possibly smelly bathroom.. Does anyone have encouragement to offer? Thanks!
Old 09-30-2005, 01:49 AM   #2
BrigCA61

The walls go up to to the ceiling except for about 5-6 inches near the top where there is some heavy leather-like fabric attached to the ceiling which fills in the gap, so it's very private. Bathroom issues? I don't want to ask, but if it's oders you are concerned about... there is a fan in the toilet you can turn on (switch is on the front of the vanity). We have never had any oders escape due to the fan. I always flush immediately to avoid any possiblity of that occuring... I have a very sensitive nose too and don't like oders in the rest of the trailer! If it's noise you are concerned about... the walls are thin and don't offer much in the way of sound-proofness (is that a word?), the fan will muffle out a bit of noise but maybe a radio can help with that... I don't know, am trying to be a little creative here. If you plan on camping in RV parks there are usually very nice/clean restrooms so I would probably politely say I'm going for a "walk" and take care of business that way. You'll need to spend a little time finding which toilet chemicals work best for you - which have a pleasant smell. Some are very strong and I don't like them. We finally found one we liked and it works well. We have found that the toilet gets more "ripe" the longer you wait til you dump the contents and worse if the weather is hot. Adding more chemicals can help until you can dump. When I have full hookups... I dump every 2 days (your mileage may vary). Without full hookups, you will probably need to purchase a "Tote" if you plan on camping for any extended length of time. Since it is a recirculating toilet, we try to use a public toilet for solid waste, when it's convenient. There's a post around here about someone who installed a regular rv/marine flush toilet, but this will limit you to camping only with full hookups. Thank you for those who have come this far in reading this post...
Old 09-30-2005, 03:41 AM   #3
hhoenig

Default TM Bathroom

don't let the bathroom get in the way of enjoying your new TM. It happens to be one of the things that makes the trailer so comfortable. The key to using the toilet-proper amount of chemicals,use the fan, and keep flushing. If you use an air freshener, spray towards the tub, otherwise you might set off the LP detector on the kitchen side of the wall.Four of us use the bathroom for everything, rarely any problem, we have found it better not to use the Fantastic Fan while using the bathroom. Have fun , don't worry.
hhoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:18 AM   #4
Queeniereads

We have not had one problem with our toilet facility! In fact, hubby says that if we buy a new RV, he will order the same kind of toilet for it, too. We are very pleased. THere is nothing negative to say about either except maybe that the turnaround space is a bit small, but who cares. We just open the bathroom door and it forms a little private area using that end of the hallway -- sort of a changing area. GL -- we hope you will love your new TM Queeniereads aka Judi
Old 09-30-2005, 11:47 AM   #5
wwjam

Default Replies to TM bathroom concerns...

Thank you so much for the replies to my post. I feel much better. My husband is excited about this new adventure in our lives, and I want to be excited about it too.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:17 PM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I read somewhere (maybe it was with the recirculating terlit in our cabover camper) that if you kind of line the inside of the bowl with tissue before using it, the solids will flush better (and faster).

I vote for the matches too, especially the wooden stick kind. I also bought one of those special scented candles for the bathroom.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:03 PM   #7
Paul_Heuvelhorst

...and the bathroom does have a window that you can open for ventilation. We have found that if you partially fill the toilet bowl with water before "depositing" solids in the bowl, it flushes more completely. Just my 3¢...
Old 10-08-2005, 04:54 PM   #8
jim_p

Default toilet - recirculating??

I have not used a recirculating toilet. Does this nave a tank within the toilet itself that you have to empty? Is the flush water connected to the fresh water system? Every other RV I have had except for pop ups had a Black Water Tank. I take it the Trail Manor does not have a Black water tank. If you are connected to a sewer line does the toilet flush directly into the sewer line??
Old 10-08-2005, 05:52 PM   #9
ameridan

the toilet itself is the black water tank. you start out by putting enough water in the toilet so that the solids will be submerged and so that the flush pump will operate. There is a dump valve near the floor but this is not used until you are breaking camp, the tank is full or the odor is getting strong.

As has been stated before, you don't normally leave your gray water dump valve open either, as this is used to rinse the pipes and sewer hose after you have dumped the toilet.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:26 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Jim-P

Did you read the toilet tutorial in the TM Reference Library, aka TM Information You Won't Find Anywhere Else? Pride of authorship aside, I think it answers your questions (and perhaps more). That's what these tutorials are there for.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote