TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
Tuscany Bandit

Default Towing with Refrig on gas

Just a question, not that I would do it and this post does not address the legality or safety of such, but just want to know...

If you towed with the refrig running on propane would the heat that is expelled through the outside vents leave marks on the inside of the shells? Has anyone one had experience towing while running the refrig on propane while towing and what were the results good or bad.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Yes, I've done it a few times, and it does not leave any marks on the shells. If you do end up doing it, be sure to turn the fan on. And be careful around gas stations.....

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Tuscany Bandit

Why leave the fan on? It has been my experience that my truck does not replenish the battery enough to keep it charged upon arrival at a campground with the fan on. Must the fan be on?

Yes, I know about the safety around gas stations. Alot (most) of motor homes run it on gas while driving.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

The fan simply pulls some of the heat generated from behind the fridge, down through the exhaust hose, and out the bottom of the TM. The TM 3-way fridge is an absorption fridge, a design that requires a source heat to work. You probably already know that the fridge has 3 heaters -- one for each of the 3-ways -- gas, 12VDC, and 120VAC. Though they consume different forms of energy to create heat, the heaters simply create heat -- nothing else. After that, for the most part, the fridge operates the same regardless of which mode it is operating in.

Since the vent panels are blocked when the TM is folded, you need some other way of getting the heat out from behind the fridge. Excess heat of course could theoretically be a fire hazard, but at the very least, it will make your fridge less efficient, which may end up meaning a warm fridge.

So ordinarily, you probably turn the exhaust fan on when running the fridge on 12VDC and towing. If you do, then you should also run it while running on propane, for the same reason.

The fan doesn't consume very much power -- maybe 0.5A IIRC. Even on a 6 hour trip, that's only 3Ah, or the equivalent of running the fridge on DC for 20 minutes. I doubt you'd even notice it. If you do, you've got other problems.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I always run the fridge on propane while driving (43 trips now). No stains on the wall. I agree with running fan. The fridge fan takes minimal power but it is helpful for cooling the fridge by exhausting the hot air from the fridge compartment.