TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2017, 11:18 AM   #1
DeerCampManor

Default Guts of it all!

First time questioner, long time reader.

I will be buying a 2001 3124 KB this weekend. Yea Me!
Is the construction of the walls, floor and roof the same all around. 2" of foam sandwiched between 2 sheets of aluminum? Is the roof aluminum also? What are some things I need to look for and will need to fix. I know it has sat outside unprotected for many years. I am sure the Texas sun has taken its toll.
DeerCampManor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Someone will correct me if I get some of this wrong, but I think it is OK.

Walls, floor, and roof are all foam slabs sandwiched (glued) between aluminum inner and outer skins. Yes, roof outer skin is aluminum.

Wall thickness is 2". I think the floor thickness is a bit more. Roof thickness may be 2 inches or a bit less.

Floor perimeter frame is wood. I think of it as 2x4's, but I'm not sure that is exact. If there is any framing within the floor slab (I don't know that there is), it will be wood.

Framing of the walls and roof may be wood, or may be aluminum. The switch from wood to aluminum was made in about the 2001-2002 time frame. Note that there are no hard cutover dates on Trail Manor construction changes. The factory made changes when it was convenient, not on model year boundaries, so in 2001 you could have had either.

A big concern is whether there were ever any leaks in the roof, including around the risers for the fans, air conditioner, center trim strip, etc. If water leaked into the roof structure, it would have worked its way down into the sidewalls and collected at the bottom. And if the sidewalls were framed with wood, the wood probably rotted, and now there is a structural problem.

I seem to recall that a month ago or so, our member Larryjb posted some pictures of an easy way to see if there is any wood rot. Larry, can you point out your posts on the subject?

I'm not too worried about the sun, except for the normal deterioration it would do to tires, curtains, caulking, etc.

Bill

EDIT Try post #10 here
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=18130
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=18147
Best view is the 3rd picture of the first post. On the left side of the picture you will see the end of 1" aluminum framing. These are in the pocket stops, where the lift arms attach to the top shell.

The pocket stop itself is metal too, but I'm not sure if the wood framed TM used wood or metal in the pocket stops themselves.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #4
DeerCampManor

Man I am impressed with what I have learned about TM. I am picking it up Saturday. The price is right. I'm looking forward to the more.

Thank yall for the info.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #5
DeerCampManor

Smile It's Official!!!

As of last Saturday, I am a proud owner of a 2001 3124KB!! Interior is in great shape. Last owners did not use the heater, or water heater. Exterior needs some TLC. The Sun has baked it. Most of the plastic parts are in bad shape. Everything works. Very happy with what I have seen so far.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:16 PM   #6
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Just so you know, I personally don't usually pay for online memberships. This forum is my only exception to this and I paid my $12 to become a member. I have learned SO much for my $12, and am continuing to learn.

There are threads on here dealing with plastic parts. They may need replacement by now, but I don't think many of the plastics are that difficult to replace.

BTW, the 3124 is a really nice size. I just don't have the room to store it on my property and I don't want to pay storage fees. Enjoy!

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3124kb, new owner, texas