TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2009, 12:19 AM   #11
robertkennel

Default elk vs sd

I just purchased a 2720SL and I'm 45. If I had a place to store it and was 61 yrs old I would go with the Elkmont. I'd rather not deal with the hassle of a check list and going through the motions if I didn't need to store it in the garage. I towed it over the Grapevine in Southern California( I think it's a 5 or 6% grade) and I did 45 mph with a Dodge Ram 1500. Definetly won't being using my wife's 2007 Hylander. I didn't like the lack of power with the Dodge(trailer empty),going down was no problem,engine braking was sufficient. Pay a little more in fuel and enjoy no hassle camping. That's my opinion. Good Luck Robert
Old 07-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
I'd rather not deal with the hassle of a check list
Robert -

I have no quarrel with your conclusions, but I think you'll find that after two or three outings, you'll no longer need a checklist for opening or closing. After that, any checklist for the 2720SL will be the same as a checklist for an Elkmont. Probably limited to grocery lists while on the road, plus possible pre-trip lists (tools, clothes, etc.)

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:27 PM   #13
robertkennel

Bill,

I agree after a couple of trips I won't need a check list. The advantages of the Elkmont are more than checklist related. Can stop for 20 minutes and have a quick bite to eat with a fully set up camper. Stop for couple of minutes and use the bathroom or get something out of the refrigerator. Trailmanor also realized the benefits of not having a fold up trailer that is why they started making them and they are successful. I don't want to pay for storage or have a good outside place to store it so the fold up is good for me. Robert
Old 07-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #14
Gerry 1950
BannedUsers

I would like to thank everyone that replied to my question. My wife and I ordered the 2720SD and should be available in mid september. This decision was finalized when we visited the dealer in Hanover, PA. (We live in Bel Air, Maryland.) We were able to open and close a 2720 with no problems. My rationale for buying a trailmanor was the ease of towing and gas mileage. The tradional trailmanor still meets the criteria better than the Elkmont. Again, thanks to all!
Gerry 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:53 PM   #15
RogerR

I would appreciate some advice on the Elkmont vs. the 2720sl. We tow with a Jeep Liberty with the diesel engine and get 18 to 19 mpg. We both like the 2720 but a recent knee replacement makes the bed almost unusable.
Has anyone tried towing the Elkmont with a Jeep Liberty. Any opinion on sway, fuel use or other problems?
Thanks and see you down the road!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #16
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Wow! I'm thinking that the Liberty is kind small for a plain TM (though some of our members have had good luck), but wildly too small for an upright trailer. Among other consideratiions is the short wheelbase (106") on a Liberty. Gas mileage is NOT the primary consideration. Other owners please chime in.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:21 AM   #17
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Roger,

As a previous owner of a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4, I would agree with Bill on the advisability of using your CRD to tow an Elkmont. While we had a good experience using the Liberty to tow our 2003 2720 SL for two seasons, I would not want to pull a full size unit with it. Unfortunately our Liberty was totaled (fortunately there were no serious injuries) which meant we had to find a replacement TV. As you can see by our signature, we settled on a used Ford Explorer Sport Trac, 4x4 which has a much longer wheel base. Wheel base becomes a very important factor when negotiating turns or making quick maneuvers at highway speeds. My recommendation is to look for a better suited TV if you do purchase the Elkmont.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:19 AM   #18
Carol & Lou cornell

Smile Elkmont suits our lifestyle better than our 3124

We took our Elkmont from Florida up through Georgia, SC, NC Va and Md this summer, through rolling hills and up major highways. No big pulls through mountains. Have a Toyota V6 Highlander with a tow rate of 5000 lbs. Had no trouble on roads or highways. We have a weight distribution hitch and sway was not an issue, even on I-95 when trucks went by, so that worked well. Noticed reduced 3 -4 mpg mileage difference over when we'd travelled with the 3124, but convenience of the upright was well worth it to us. We're both around 60 years old and while set up of the 3124 wasn't hard, we like not having to do it anymore. Honestly, the thing we like the best is the full size refrigerator, holding tank toilet and walk around queen size bed. Also, being able to pull into a rest stop and get lunch in the camper is another plus for us. We travel with 2 dogs, and if we want to leave the boys in the camper for a few minutes while we both go into the convenience store at the gas station, now we can do that. We don't use the installed table, we use TV trays instead, which gives us walking around room. We're thinking about buying a new truck next year as a TV to take a trip west through mountains, but are still in the thinking stage. Honestly, the only thing that would make the Elkmont better for us would be a slide out, but of course that would add a lot of weight. This summer want to go up the east coast to Maine and New England to visit friends and come back down through NC and Tennessee, then maybe over to Texas for more visits. Can't wait!
Old 12-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #19
P and B

I guess my 2 "sense" here is the difference between camping and longer term housing. We have the 3124KS and I can see where it would get old if I were to try to live in it long term as I moved about the country. That said, we don't so we're more of the camping variety (OK...."glamping") so the foldable style has many advantages and for the relatively short time we use it, the hassles of set up and take down aren't an issue.

One thing I'd like to point out too is that, regardless of what kind of "RV" you go with, as soon as you start moving, you need to stow things away safely. We had a class C for many years and I think packing it up to go took every bit as long as the TM does after you've been sitting for a day or so (I'm always amazed at home much stuff we can get out in a very short period of time).

Granted, being able to get at the bathroom and kitchen easily while on the road is a definite plus of the fixed type RVs.

Phil
Old 12-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #20
PopBeavers

I am in the middle of my annual fall cleaning, before storing the TM in the garage for the winter, which has not yet arrived. this consists of removing all food items, washing all dishes in the home dishwasher and wiping down everywhere I can get my hand with a PineSol solution.

I have reached the conclusion that owning an RV does not make camping easier than the old tent days. It just makes it more comfortable, and some of the work can be scheduled.