TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2016, 01:55 PM   #11
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Except the discount at RV parks if you use them we haven't found it to be of any value.
When we traded in the TM at Camping World on the "new nest" they didn't even understand you had to put water in the electro magic even after several times of telling them. We did get a 3 year upgrade of the Good Sam membership that is supposed to give 30 % off some stuff

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #12
Padgett
TrailManor Master

So bottom line I think a number of us have benefited from buying a used TM at Camper World with the caveat that you will know more about it than they do and when you do you get a number of freebies that are worth every penny. It is the List Prices on things and the renewals you have to watch out for.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:38 PM   #13
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I got discounts when ordering by phone for being a member. That is the only reason I joined them, the one and only year I was a member. I needed to buy a part that was about 125. The discount for being a member was greater then the membership cost.

If you still get a discount for buy at the store or online and I lived 20 minutes from a super store. I think I would be a member.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:09 PM   #14
momto4girls

This is good feedback--appreciate it. I have several things I need to buy. I will do a lot of comparison shopping before I decide if it's worth it to me. So far it's been mixed--some things are obviously over priced, but some things were the same or lower than Amazon--with the membership of course. I think one of the reasons I'm considering it is that since I'm new to all this, I like the idea of being able to actually pick up and look at the sewer hose package I'm about to purchase rather than just look at a picture on Amazon. That's kind of a stupid example, but you get the idea. I'll probably do like I do when I'm Christmas shopping. See something on the shelf and think, "that looks like a good gift!" Immediately get on my Iphone and google the item to see if I can order it cheaper online.

ETA: The trip planner does sound interesting--I'm going to look in to this more.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #15
momto4girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePerens View Post
If I wasn't handy, I'd build a relationship with a local RV mechanic.
This would be my preference, too. I only know one family that has owned campers here, but I will ask them for a rec. My husband is very handy (he is amazing IMHO), but his job is super demanding and very stressful at times. The camper was my idea (but he is happy about it), so I was thinking it would be worth it to have a mechanic do the brakes and bearings if it needs it rather than dh take up his weekend. I just don't want to add to his "to do list". He already does the brakes on our 3 cars, and lots of repairs around the house. There is always something...

But I really want the bearings repacked--one way or another.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:22 AM   #16
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

When I bought my TM from camping world, I received the membership, it not only saves on the items they sell and propane on TUE and Wed. but also save on fuel at any Flying J Truck Stop. I live pretty close to a CW so it does come in handy but again they are generally more costly on some items.

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #17
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

Mom, I don't recall if you're planning on new tires, but when I recently had some new Maxxis tires put on (and balanced) by a local tire shop, I had them repack the bearings. I already had metal stems or I would have had them do that, too.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:35 PM   #18
momto4girls

Okay--that's good to know. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:44 PM   #19
Dave E

Default Big Insurance Discount from NGIC

My smart wife tells me we get a big discount on our RV insurance from National General Insurance Corp. by being a member of Good Sam. The discount is much greater than the cost of the membership. NGIC offers full replacement cost insurance for your RV, not depreciated. They were great to work with when a blow-out at 62 mph damaged our Elkmont and after hail left the exterior surface looking like a golf ball. I have been very pleased with their service.

We always check prices at Google, Amazon and Walmart before buying from Camping World. If you can get a Good Sam membership discount by paying for several years at once, it makes it more economical.

My free advice always comes with a money back guarantee!
DaveE
Old 06-22-2016, 08:10 PM   #20
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Talked to the Good Sam people about insurance a few years ago but at that time had an accident listed (was rearended while in a stopped line of traffic, did not hit the car in front, OP was charged) and they did not want to talk to me. Have Progressive now.