TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2016, 09:49 PM   #21
Unstable_Tripod

I have a 2009 2619 with a swing away tongue. I just discovered that the welds which fasten one of the A-frame bars to the crossbar of the swing away assembly are cracked. A local welding shop says that they've seen this before in TrailManors and that the swing away design is at fault -- it puts too much strain on those welds. They also said that using a weight distribution hitch can break the welds. Has anyone here ever had such a problem?
Old 07-27-2016, 07:15 AM   #22
MudDog
TrailManor Master

Yes - our 2009 2619 had the welds on the passenger side factory swing tongue fail twice.

The first time three of the 4 welds on that side had failed. The dealer repaired at no cost and added a sleeve welded the height of the frame for the pin on that side to drop in to re-enforce it (the driver side design seems much more robust than the passenger side).

Earlier this year it started failing again at the bottom....I ended up trading in the TM to the same dealer and they re-built it again for the next owner.

The design is weak, and adding weight distribution puts even more stress on it. I was told by the dealer originally and after the first failure that I didn't have to take the WD bars off when backing into my driveway/garage (where there is a momentary low point dip at that hitch joint as the TV is slightly nose up/rear down, hitch joint is low-point and TM is nose down/tail up as it goes up the driveway).

Despite that guidance, I started pulling out on just the ball and putting WD bars on out in the street (even ground) and removing bars in the street before backing in, as I think that was definitely adding more stress, but it still failed a few years after the first rebuild.

Had I kept it and not traded it in a few months ago, I would have probably had them weld it all up, taking away the swing function completely in favor of (hopefully) additional strength at that joint.
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote