TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
TravlinOn

Default Crimping / Elect Connections - How To

After reading posts here about the need for brake and other electrical connection reworks, I figured that I needed to learn a little more about how to do the job correctly. Found this link and it seems to do a good job of instruction. (Crimping wires is down toward the end.)

BTW, none of the wiring connector reworks posted for our TM's involve insulated wiring - right?

http://www.mmxpress.com/technical/connections.htm
Old 02-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinOn View Post
After reading posts here about the need for brake and other electrical connection reworks, I figured that I needed to learn a little more about how to do the job correctly. Found this link and it seems to do a good job of instruction. (Crimping wires is down toward the end.)

BTW, none of the wiring connector reworks posted for our TM's involve insulated wiring - right?

http://www.mmxpress.com/technical/connections.htm
There are two ways to do this.
1) Use butt splices. The problem here is that the only way to disconnect the wires is to cut them.
2) Use Bullet connectors. Here you'll use a male and a female part, both are crimped on the wire after stripping about 1/4" of the insulation. You can than wrap the splice with electrical tape to protect the joint. If you ever have to disconnect the wires it is easy. Just remove the electrical tape (if used) and pull the male plug out of the female socket.

Easy and clean.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

One note on "Butt connectors".

If you use butt connectors, I recommend the 3M connectors that have "heat-shrink" built in. It's another step and requires a "heat gun" but they are far less likely to corrode or vibrate lose.

Solder and heat-shrink are BY FAR superior and still requires a "heat gun". I would stay away from electrical tape. In fact, I would prefer wire nuts to electrical tape and I don't like either one.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
PopBeavers

There are two different types of crimping tools, that I know of.

One puts a dimple into the connect.

The other one just squishes it together.

The squishy ones can be undone. The dimpled ones can not be undone.

When I have crimped a space or circle lug to the end of a wire, I like to solder it as well.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
TravlinOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
There are two different types of crimping tools, that I know of.

One puts a dimple into the connect.

The other one just squishes it together.

The squishy ones can be undone. The dimpled ones can not be undone.

When I have crimped a space or circle lug to the end of a wire, I like to solder it as well.
I think I read that the "dimple" type is for non-insulated wires and the "squishy" one is for insulated wires. The reasoning is that a "dimple" might break through the insulation and cause problems. The "squishy" one is flatter, safer on the wires, but not as strong against being pulled apart (a reason for using solder or shrink).

The only place on a TM that would use insulated (shielded?) wiring, I'm thinking, is possibly on any electronics to protect against audio or reception interference. I know my new Prodigy warns against installing the controller too close to the radio in the TV to avoid interference and those wires are non-insulated.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
MisterP

If crimping and not soldering, add a bit of dielectric grease into the connectors before putting the wires in. Reduces corrosion.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
Bigbit

What about using 3M Scotchlok connectors:

Or would you be concerned about corrosion in an exterior application like this?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbit View Post
What about using 3M Scotchlok connectors:

Or would you be concerned about corrosion in an exterior application like this?
Scotchlok is great for a temporary repair but will fail with time. I have just finished replacing all the Scotchlok, bullet, and wire nuts on our '11 2720SL. I used non-insulated butt connectors that are soldered and crimped with heat shrink tubing to insulate. Where the connection is exposed to the weather I use the 3M heat shrink that contains a sealant. I can't think of the trade name right at the moment. Corrosion is the enemy of Scotchlok and wire nuts.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Actually, there are two types of crimps, as shown in the sketch below (please forgive my rudimentary sketchmanship). In one, you insert the stripped end of the wire in the connector barrel, and squish the barrel flat. The squished barrel doesn't grip the wire well, because although the barrel is deformed, the distance around it is unchanged. This leaves some empty space around the wire. As a result, the strands of the wire can move relative to each other, and the wire is fairly easy to pull out of the barrel. When I use this method, I always crimp and then solder. The soldering completes the electrical connection, fixes the strands in place, and fills the empty space so nothing can "creep".

The second method, which I call the wedge-squish, makes a better connection because it actually reduces the total size of the barrel. If you look closely at any of the crimped wire connections in your car, they are made this way, and they hold forever. No soldering is needed, since the empty space around the wire is completely filled.

A cheap crimp tool that you buy at NAPA, Checker, WalMart, etc, for a few bucks, is the flat-squish tool. On the other hand, a wedge-squish tool is available to shade-tree mechanic like me, but the cost is considerably higher.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crimp.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	5595  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default crimp tools

nice drawing Bill, I have found the same to be true plus the crimp lugs tend to be tool specific. AMP makes crimps lugs and tools that work well together but price is up there. Generic and soldering has always worked well for me, more time then money

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote