TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-21-2003, 09:42 AM   #1
Rene_R

Default Insurance for TM

My husband and I are about to become proud owners of a TM 2720, some time in July.  

Does anyone have any tips and/or info on getting insurance?  I've looked online, but welcome any advice you may have.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:01 AM   #2
Robin

Default Re: Insurance for TM

I am insured by GEICO for about $140 / year.  Together with my car insurance, home-owner's and umbrella policy, I feel as safe as I guess I can feel.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:30 PM   #3
Brightsu
Site Sponsor

I'm with StateFarm and its 120.a year thats for comp.collision, towing, they said your insurance on your vechicle covers most of it, I made sure they added towing in the event, my SUV broke down.

Pam
Brightsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 01:14 PM   #4
smookie

We have State Farm insurance and pay about $140 a year. 4 years ago, we hit a steep bump *hard* at the end of a driveway in order to avoid a collision, our 1988 TM 20 sewer tank cracked. We called and took it right to the TM factory in Lake City, TN, since we were in Western North Carolina when we had the mishap. The next day, the fine folks at TM took a plumber and a welder off the assembly line to fix our broken sewer tank, (which wasn't easy). Our model had been discontinued and they had to unweld the frame in order to fit the newer one on. We were so grateful!! After the $800 bill to fix our sewer tank was paid, we realized that we were covered by State Farm and got almost all of it back.  
Old 06-26-2003, 03:41 AM   #5
Rene_R

Thanks for the info.  We have State Farm for all our other insurance so I plan to call them later today.

Just got back from a trip to Sequoia NP; we don't have our TM as yet so stayed in the lodge.  No TM sightings, but did see a black bear and its cub.

Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:43 AM   #6
Windbreaker

After reading the post here I went to see my State Farm agent because our bill is 309 per year. He said there are lots of things to consider but he would be willing to bet that the 140 figure is for 6 months not a full year. He did point out that we only have a 200 deductable maybe they have 1000, it hails here a lot I'll keep the higher cost because I know I'll be getting a new top sooner or later.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:39 AM   #7
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
After reading the post here I went to see my State Farm agent because our bill is 309 per year. He said there are lots of things to consider but he would be willing to bet that the 140 figure is for 6 months not a full year. He did point out that we only have a 200 deductable maybe they have 1000, it hails here a lot I'll keep the higher cost because I know I'll be getting a new top sooner or later.
I have a semi-annual rate of $43.63  : . I also specified $1000 deductible. My insurer is USAA, which tends to have some fairly low rates. Not all insurers are alike. I do not remember what the zero deductible rate would have been . Maybe double?

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 02:44 AM   #8
smookie

I double checked our State Farm TM Insurance rate and I underestimated it by a few dollars. I originally posted $140 a year, but actually it is $170 a year. Sorry...my husband pays our bills...

We have a $200 deductible and we also have all our cars and our house insured with State Farm, so we get maximum discounts there. We also are rated "good drivers". Also,  the year and model of the trailer is figured into the rate. Our TM is a 1998 2619, so it is probably cheaper to insure than a larger one.

One more thing, State Farm is excellent with our claims and usually cuts us a check on the spot. I sound like an ad for State Farm, but we've been very happy with them.  

Any day now, our new 2720SL should arrive at Bryant's RV in Dallas, PA, and we will also get to pay State Farm a higher premium. Oh well...  

Does anyone know if TM is good about honoring their delivery dates? We sure hope so!
Old 06-27-2003, 05:47 AM   #9
arknoah

I don't have the figures in front of me, but our RV insurance is stand alone because many of the agencies like State Farm (where we have our auto insurance) don't reimburse for RV damage and replacement the way RV insurers do, and therefore our annual cost is definitely higher than the figures quoted here.  We went with Foremost Insurance Group for that reason.  During the first five years, they pay full replacement costs, and during years 5-10, they pay up to the full original purchase price toward purchase of a new unit, which generally mitigates some of the depreciation.  When we talked to the State Farm agent, she said that we would only get actual cash value, and the way vehicles including RVs can depreciate, even on the first week, we felt it was worth the extra investment to go with a company that insures RVs as a major part of their business.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:00 AM   #10
smookie

Thanks for heads-up on the difference between insurers.  Both of our previous Trail Manors were used ones, so the depreciation had mostly happened by the time we bought them. The one we are anxiously waiting to receive (any minute now) is a brand new 2720SL and we may want to look into the fuller coverage since we are taking the financial "plunge".  If they only covered book value, we would be out a lot of $$ if a disaster happened.