TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-30-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
rdanpurnell

Default Locking Systems - Front & Rear

We have a 2000 3023SL and we often have difficulty in locking the latches. Meaning, the downward thrust using the stirrups does not go far enough to engage the lock. Our stirrups are quite small and my foot will not allow me to put my shoe into the device - so my wife is the one. It would be better for me to use my weight! We are careful to be sure we have a "flat" surface inside so there is no obstruction.

I have heard that some owners have developed "gadgets" to increase the foot space, allowing for more comfortable boot space.

Anyone out there that can give me a suggestion?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
PopBeavers

My TM is a little harder to close than it was when I first bought it. This is because I had it adjusted by the dealer because things were not square. The dealer apparently made the torsion bars tighter. If you were to soften the torsion bars, then it would be easier to close, but slightly more effort would be needed to lift it open.

I am not willing to adjust it myself and I am unwilling to pay someone to adjust it for me.

I find it easier to latch the curb side before latching the street side. I also pull down on the roof while bouncing on the foot stirrup.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
ericluvskim04

My TM closes pretty easy as long as it is level. When I close the first shell I open the door on the unit so I can put a hand on the top. I then step into the stirrup and use the hand on the top to close the unit. Once I get the curb side down it is easy to get the other side. The second half is easy if you use your hand and just pull down on the top. I use the stirrup but I don't really have too. I guess if you made a noose out of rope and tied it to the stir-up you could then fit your foot into noose and use your weight to close the unit. I understant your pain because my foot barely fits in there and I am a size 9. I hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:31 PM   #4
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

A suggestion for '09 TMs, bigger stirrups(?).

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The earlier TMs (such as my old 2002) had very small stirrups. Very annoying, so I removed them and replaced them with larger stirrups. Very easy to do. Just unbolt the old one, drill one new hole, and bolt in the larger one.

Sometime in the next couple years, probably as a result of discussion on this board, TM started putting larger stirrups on them. On my present (2006) TM, the larger stirrups accomodate my size 10s - but they still could be larger.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Closing Caution

One warning in my owner manual is to be sure NOT to grab and pull down on the awning case, when closing the front shell.

Whenever I've had trouble latching the shells, it's been because of something I left in the way (blanket, pillow, etc.).

Happy Camping!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:04 PM   #7
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

I have found it easy to use a wood 2x4 with a notch cut in the end to fit the stirrup to close the shells. You simply engage the notch and walk up the 2x4 toward the trailer to apply whatever weight is needed. I have a Ford F-150 to store the 2x4 in so this solution may not work for everyone.
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
jcjim4

Am having trouble deciding which side is curb side! Which side is the entrance door?
The more I think about it the more confused I get. I usually pull down on the door side first, but sometimes have had to trial and error to get it closed.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Jim, the curb side is the door side.

It used to take me a minute too to translate curb side/street side to passenger side/driver side or door side/water hook-up side
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote