TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2002, 09:10 AM   #1

Default Fantastic Fan Installation ?'s

Does anyone have experience installing a Fantastic Fan in a TM?

If so, was it as easy as it looks, or what "surprises" did you encounter?

Thanks to everyone for all the great informtion that is available on this site!!!
Old 04-21-2002, 07:09 AM   #2

Default Re: Fantastic Fan Installation ?'s

If you don't hear good advice from someone who's actually done this, I suggest:

1) Contact the factory for advice.

2) I suggest using a side cutting bit on a router.  A dremel based tool could be used through the thin aluminum but this might be slow with the bit quality dubious.   I would go to the trouble to make an outside pattern out of 1/8" plywood, but this is me.  Locate and fix the pattern exactly on both sides and cut through the skin.  Put tape all over so you don't scratch the painted aluminum with your cutting tool.

TM bonds wood pieces between the inside and outside skins.  Look at how the vent cut-out is prepared.

I noticed that new TMs [at least the 27s] have the fan now toward the door.  I'm curious as to why [other than being more central in the unit].
Old 04-21-2002, 07:38 AM   #3
hal

Be aware, that TrailManor engineers have run the electrical wiring down the center of the ceiling.  My wiring was hidden under that molding that is obvious to the eye and that runs from front to rear.

Hal
Old 04-24-2002, 02:34 AM   #4
Bruce

JohnnyG,
  I replaced our vent in the kitchen area with a Fatastic Fan. I had to build up the area on the roof under the flange on the Fantastic so the fan does not extend below the ceiling. If it extends more than 1/2' inch or so below the ceiling the shell will not close and you could damage the roof and the fan.
   I used some 11/4" thick molding I had lying around to get the desired height. I screwed the molding to the roof (be sure to countersink the screws), and then screwed the fan to the molding. Use white silicone caulk or rubberized caulk sold for use on aluminum roof installations to seal everything.
I used the existing wiring for the light to run the fan and everything works great. It is handy for pulling out cooking odors and heat and is pretty effective for cooling off the interior at night.  

Bruce Martin
Old 06-18-2003, 04:52 AM   #5
efelker

ALthough this is an old thread -- wonder if anyone who has bought new recently knows where they'll install the Fantastic Fan at the factory.

Within hours of arriving home after picking up the new TM (once I buy it at least), the LAST thing I want to do is start gnawing on the roof with a router & side cutting bit.  Sure would be nice if they'd install this fan at the factory -- because based on what I've read about the fan -- I really do want one when I buy.

That whole post I just wrote sounds like the old adage that says, " If I had some eggs I'd have ham and eggs for breakfast, if I had some ham."
Old 06-18-2003, 10:09 AM   #6
2619PDX

Interesting. My 2001, 2619 has one center of the rig. I assumed that the purpose of it's placement was to be close to the stove as a vent fan, since the TM manual says to run the vent fan when cooking on the stove...

My wiring also runs down the center of the roof, also covered by a conduit cap.

So yes, TM must be able to instal them.

Gregg
Old 06-18-2003, 10:23 AM   #7
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

See my photos of my new 2003 2720SD. The picture of the ceiling is actually a 2003 2720SL seen at a show, but it is the same as the SD. The fan is over the entry from the door with the blue tint cover. This is the Fantatic Fan you are talking about, right?

Click on:
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...688598&f=0
BobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote