TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
SDWEltoro

Default Toy Hauler Front Porch?

I do not have a camper yet. I really like the concept of TrailManor; low towing profile, light weight, etc. I want a toy hauler or some way to transport my mid-size motorcycle also, and I do not see a TM with a front porch I could rig to carry my bike.

I could put my bike in the back of my pickup, but that presents some obstacles also (size of bed, tailgate down and clearance, angle bike in and straps, carrying long ramp). Also, that does not solve the matter if I tow with my Escape.

Does TM have a model with a 'front porch' that could be modified to carry a mid-size putt-putt; 389 lbs. wet?

Thanks
'97 Chaparral Open Bow "El Toro"
'03 Haulmark 6' X 10' Cargo Trl
'11 Droptail Bike/ATV/UTV Trl
'97 Boat Trl
SDWEltoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

I saw an old Trailmanor that had been fitted to hold a motorcycle on the A frame behind the hitch ball. Photo below. It looks like the gas canisters and battery have been moved forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160821_175619.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	15123  
Old 04-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I don't believe there is any TM model with a front porch. There are a couple models with a back porch, but I don't know enough about them to know if they could be rigged to carry a bike once they are closed.

I'm impressed by the picture, but the idea sounds a bit ambitious for the tow vehicle. If you put a 400-pound bike up front, on the A-frame, it will increase the hitch weight by about 400 pounds. Since the TM already has hitch weight of 400 pounds or more, this is going to be a challenge for the pickup, and out of range for the Escape (350 pounds max). The pickup (presumably an F-150) will need a WDH, but even a WDH won't solve the problem for the Escape.

Then there is towing capacity. A loaded-and-ready-to-camp TM has a total weight of 3600-4000 pounds or more. Adding a 400-pound bike gets you well above the rating of the Escape (3500 pounds max), though the F-150 can handle it "when properly equipped."

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
SDWEltoro

Default Bike, Camper, Tow Vehicle Challenges

I had thought of some of the same factors Bill. If I were going to pull a 25' or 27' series TM with the Escape I would not take the bike; perhaps I would if I have a small toy hauler. If with the Pickup (F-150 4X4)(with bike on the front drawbar), I would modify the rear suspension of the truck; install heavy duty air shocks, or something similar. Still not the most ideal as I would prefer the extra weight of the bike be over the axle(s) of the camper. I like the TMs towing characteristics (low) and camping living space capacity much better than toy haulers...., but..., wanting to carry the bike, or future UTV, will be a factor. Mounting on front might not work.

I have a ramp and portable bike front wheel chock. My pickup has a 6.5' bed, and I would have to leave the tailgate down, which is not ideal and might create a clearance problem with tongue apparatus, the jack. I could change to a swivel jack. I could probably put the bike in the pickup caddy-corner..., more challenge strapping the bike down. With the tailgate up it might be the solution. Think I will load it in the pickup that way this weekend; see how it fits, if it might work. If acceptable...that would solve one issue.

I will figure it out; may have to make some hard choices. I am not going to change my tow vehicles; will have to decide upon the camper.

Thanks for your help; appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I don't believe there is any TM model with a front porch. There are a couple models with a back porch, but I don't know enough about them to know if they could be rigged to carry a bike once they are closed.

I'm impressed by the picture, but the idea sounds a bit ambitious for the tow vehicle. If you put a 400-pound bike up front, on the A-frame, it will increase the hitch weight by about 400 pounds. Since the TM already has hitch weight of 400 pounds or more, this is going to be a challenge for the pickup, and out of range for the Escape (350 pounds max). The pickup (presumably an F-150) will need a WDH, but even a WDH won't solve the problem for the Escape.

Then there is towing capacity. A loaded-and-ready-to-camp TM has a total weight of 3600-4000 pounds or more. Adding a 400-pound bike gets you well above the rating of the Escape (3500 pounds max), though the F-150 can handle it "when properly equipped."

Bill
'97 Chaparral Open Bow "El Toro"
'03 Haulmark 6' X 10' Cargo Trl
'11 Droptail Bike/ATV/UTV Trl
'97 Boat Trl
SDWEltoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:25 PM   #5
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDWEltoro View Post
I had thought of some of the same factors Bill. If I were going to pull a 25' or 27' series TM with the Escape I would not take the bike; perhaps I would if I have a small toy hauler. If with the Pickup (F-150 4X4)(with bike on the front drawbar), I would modify the rear suspension of the truck; install heavy duty air shocks, or something similar. Still not the most ideal as I would prefer the extra weight of the bike be over the axle(s) of the camper. I like the TMs towing characteristics (low) and camping living space capacity much better than toy haulers...., but..., wanting to carry the bike, or future UTV, will be a factor. Mounting on front might not work.

I have a ramp and portable bike front wheel chock. My pickup has a 6.5' bed, and I would have to leave the tailgate down, which is not ideal and might create a clearance problem with tongue apparatus, the jack. I could change to a swivel jack. I could probably put the bike in the pickup caddy-corner..., more challenge strapping the bike down. With the tailgate up it might be the solution. Think I will load it in the pickup that way this weekend; see how it fits, if it might work. If acceptable...that would solve one issue.

I will figure it out; may have to make some hard choices. I am not going to change my tow vehicles; will have to decide upon the camper.

I've carried my full size motorcyle and tow a 3124KB for several years. Yes, it does require the tailgate to be down. Yes, it requires you to be aware to the turning angles. At first, I used to remove the jack and propane tanks as the photo shows, but for the last couple of years, I do not. Trial and error, without the error have shown I can maneuver the set up around gas pumps, obstacles, driveways and camp sites without removing anything. Yes, I did add air adjustable air bags to the truck rear suspension, and the WDH equalizes the TM tongue weight. My bike is too heavy to place at the angle in the truck bed and it wouldn't save enough space to close the tailgate anyway. I've towed this set up to CA, and FL twice.

Still get around 14.5 miles per gallon with speed no more than 65mph.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:39 AM   #6
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Have you considered a receiver hitch motorcycle rack, mounted into a receiver hitch on the back of the TM? I have a receiver hitch on the back of my TM for a bike rack. The motorcycle would have to be removed to open/close the trailer, but the rack could stay mounted.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #7
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoMiPa View Post
Have you considered a receiver hitch motorcycle rack, mounted into a receiver hitch on the back of the TM? I have a receiver hitch on the back of my TM for a bike rack. The motorcycle would have to be removed to open/close the trailer, but the rack could stay mounted.
My opinion is.. I would never consider adding 400lbs to the rear bumper/receiver of the TM. Unit was not designed for that amount of weight back there and will most certainly upset the tow characteristics.

Bicycle racks? Sure. Motorcycle rack? Nope.

Having said that, my TM was outfitted by the PO with a hitch and 2" ball to accommodate a small aluminum boat and trailer. The tongue weight associated with that was very minimal. I don't care for tandem tow but have seen it done safely for years. For me, that would be a better option although as stated, I carry a 800lb bike in my truck bed.

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 05-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #8
HoMiPa
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcycleguy View Post
I would never consider adding 400lbs to the rear bumper/receiver of the TM. Unit was not designed for that amount of weight back there and will most certainly upset the tow characteristics.

Ahhhh, yes, I have no doubt you are absolutely right - nothing I know anything about, although if I was considering it for myself, I would certainly research.... Admittedly, when I used to have the bike rack on there, loaded with 4 bikes, it certainly did make the trailer more "bouncy"....
Old 05-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #9
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:

To the OP. Did you load the bike in the pickup last weekend? I see you talked about a long ramp.

I utilize a set of heavy duty (1000lb) 8ft folding Aluminum ramps. Set of 3 creating a 40in wide ramp system that lock together. Able to ride the big bike up the ramp with room to stop and width enough for standing if necessary. Lots of weight there for the early generation of the Tundra knowing the TM tongue weight as well. Air bags, WDH create a safe set up leveling the Tundra and TM.

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King