TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
dmbell502

Default Just doing some research

Hi All,
I'm interested in to getting back in to TT camping and touring and have some questions I hope to get some answers to. My last trailer was a Jayco pup up and I enjoyed it very much, but I slow it some years back. After 6 years I have convencied the wife that we need a trailer to bug out when the next Ike comes through. I want her to feel somewhat safe at night so that means hard sides. My questions are what wind speed can a TM safely take before it's time to just ride it out in the truck? Does TM still use wood as structural members if not what year did the stop? Thanks Dean
Old 07-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Im in the Ike region of the Texas Gulf Coast and I would use my TM to seek higher ground as soon as the storm was determined definite for my community. I would go 100 miles inland and to the weak side of the storm and wait it out. Just like any travel trailer or mobile home, it will not stay grounded for long at hurricane strength winds. Does not matter if there is wood, aluminum, steel, its not a shelter for wind or flood.

Interesting, this is your 2nd post in over 3 years?

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbell502 View Post
Hi All,
I'm interested in to getting back in to TT camping and touring and have some questions I hope to get some answers to. My last trailer was a Jayco pup up and I enjoyed it very much, but I slow it some years back. After 6 years I have convencied the wife that we need a trailer to bug out when the next Ike comes through. I want her to feel somewhat safe at night so that means hard sides. My questions are what wind speed can a TM safely take before it's time to just ride it out in the truck? Does TM still use wood as structural members if not what year did the stop? Thanks Dean
Hi Dean,

I would feel comfortable driving in 50 to 60 MPH winds with mine but the most I've been in is about 35 MPH. In 2003 TM started eliminating wood framing and went to metal frame construction.

Good luck in your search

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
dmbell502

Thanks for the response, I won't be pulling it in 50 /60 mph winds, the question was about the wind speed once it was set up. I want the wife to be safe around Fredericksburg If I have to stay at the plant when it comes. Thanks Dean
Old 07-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Thanks for the response, I won't be pulling it in 50 /60 mph winds, the question was about the wind speed once it was set up. I want the wife to be safe around Fredericksburg If I have to stay at the plant when it comes. Thanks Dean
If you have hurricane force winds in Fredericksburg, there won't be much left in Houston to come back to for weeks. Get out before the traffic delay. I keep my TM 150 miles out from SW Houston during hurricane season. That's far enough for me. I guess you'd have to contact the factory to know if they have done any straight line wind testing. They may not agree to offer any advice other than to be safe.

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 07-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Was in a "red" (radar) storm when at Sebastian Inlet & 40-60 mph gusts were reported. We wer behind some trees and pretty much stern on but I felt a couple of gust hit and aelt like it moved but apparently just shook.

Only way I'd take a TM through a himmicane would be in road condition with all for stabilizers down pointing into the wind and with the TV attached and Aircraft grade tiedowns deployed. That said, ANY other option would be better.

OTOH whan Charley came through (eye passed about 10 miles south of me) in '04 most of the damage was apparently from a stream of tornados it spawned. I don't recall ever seeing that before.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:31 AM   #7
TravlinOn

Quote:
Hi All,
Wow. Glad to see that you are thinking of emergency plans in advance. I've been through a bunch of hurricanes and otherwise strong winds here in So. Florida, including a Cat 5 (Andrew) over the last hundred (seems like) years.

I agree with you that the best plan (when seriously needed) is to "bug out" with a TT. Go at least 3 days in advance, go back roads, and go southwest of the storm's projected path if possible. Since the projected "path" is for the storm's "eye" and winds can easily reach out for a hundred miles from the eye, I would try to search out good roads to campsites off the beaten path at least that far away. Remember, you can dry camp on a dirt road somewhere if needed - just take your water and food!

Additionally, if your home site is without power, you can always go where there is power for as long as needed.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #8
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

We've evacuated in the TM, for Rita. We ended up in Sulphur Springs (long story, but the storm ended up turning and heading right into my original safe haven )

Here's a link to plots of the weather we rode out up there. The wind gusts got up to around 50 mph and we were fine.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...ID=KSLR&type=3

We lived in the TM in our driveway for a week or so after Ike. We had a generator used for buddy-breathing between our home's refrigerators and making the TM liveable. (Blessedly, the temperature after Ike was quite pleasant)

So it's been quite useful in the two latest major storms.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I think it depends on the direction of the wind. Broadside winds is the real issue. I don't think any campers has any tie downs that are anchored into the the ground. I think anything over 70 mph you risk the camper laying on it's side. On a TM if the wind was on the door side, I think you also risk damage to the fold out door hinges.

We were in a strong wind back in the early 90's. Camping on the beach of Assateague Island. The winds came out of nowhere and gusts of 80+ mph for about 1/2 hour. It hit our 31 foot AS near broadside and was rocking it. I think the tires on one side may have lifted off the ground. A few sits downs it laid a 31 footer on it's side. I think the only reason we were not laying over, was the round corners of the AS

Another time camping on the north side of Lake Superior, a storm came up with gusts over 70 mph and broadside to the camper. It was rocking and the floor and at time was visually not level. I moved the full size van between the camper and the wind to break the wind.

Any other time I have been in winds it was at a angle or head on to the front or back and was not that bad.

If I knew a strong storm with 50+ winds was going to hit us. I would put the camper down and weather it out in the van. I would not want to risk it and spoil a trip.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Please remember to the OP, hurricane winds come from different directions based on the rotation of the storm. They will come from the coast while the storm is offshore and making landfall, but the winds will turn around once the eye has passed and the winds will be from the backside. I've been around this area for decades and experienced quite a few named storms. They are unpredictable and its best to heed any warnings.

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King