TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
JimColorado

Default damage and value of 2619

Looking at a 2005 2619 for possible purchase. The asking price is consistent with the lower NADA values and what have been asking prices for such a trailer on this forum. The trailer has some damage. A crease about .5 inches deep runs from the rear edge of the front window along the bottom edge of the rear window almost to rear of the front slide unit. Some ripples appear in the aluminum. According to the owner no functional issues exist - both windows operate, no leaks exist, and the front half lowers and raises with no issues. If all else is as described, I will probably make an offer, but resale issues raise their ugly head. How much does damage of this type reduce the value of the trailer?
JimColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #2
JimColorado

Default pic of damage

Trying this for the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2619 damage.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	14457  
Old 12-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Maybe you could hire a graphic artist / muralist to paint a scene on the side of the trailer - maybe a desert scene, or a forest-and-mountain-brook - incorporating the crease into the painting. You've seen these on many of the big 5th wheels. Who knows? It might even increase your TM's value!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
JimColorado

Default damage

My wife is a potter so knows a number of muralists. It is an idea.

Finally, the owner pulled out the title and it is a "rebuilt from salvage title".

The damage and title should reduce the value. My question is how much.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jim
Old 12-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #5
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Looks like tree damage. Like the owner backed in too close to a tree branch or gate pole. Anyway, hate when those things happen. The rebuilt salvage title suggests the insurance company paid off the TM as total loss and the owner bought it back.

I don't see the crease as a total loss so I'd be cautious as any other issues it may have. I'd like to hear the full story on the damage from the seller and determine trust...on whether they are being sincere.

As to price or value? $3-4000 would be my estimate. Seller has no big investment in it that I'm aware of based on the story so far. There is a bottom value on these vehicles based on the interior components like refrigerator, AC, heater or furnace, bathroom, holding tanks, axle, propane systems etc.

Good luck.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:37 PM   #6
JimColorado

Default damage

Thanks for the info. At this time he wants significantly more than the $3-4k you suggested.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
JimColorado

Default damage

The owner just emailed me that the only damage was the scrape to the panel. That seems like to minor a repair to total an entire trailer - unless it costs that much to replace a side panel on a TM. The damage was 2-3 years ago so that would make the value of the trailer 6-8k at that time.

Anyone know the cost of an upper panel replacement?
Old 12-07-2016, 05:35 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Why did the insurance company total the trailer? It means that they queried the TM factory for the repair cost, and the factory told them that replacing the panel would cost more than the trailer was worth. Or at least more than the insurance coverage held by the owner. At that time the NADA estimate of worth was about $6000, so my guess (and it is COMPLETELY a guess) is that the insurance sent them a check for about $4000, and sold them the salvage rights for $2000. And that is only if they had a ZERO deductible, which isn't likely. So if I am anywhere near accurate here, they have about $2K in it.

Just FYI, you need to realize that panels are rather difficult to replace. There is a lot of labor involved, both in building the new panel (the sandwich construction) and putting it in place. Remember that quite a bit of electrical wiring is snaked through the walls. Removing and replacing the windows is tedious. And since the shell is not self-supporting when open, you can't just unbolt the panel, drop it off, stick another in its place, and tighten up the bolts. A support structure of some kind is needed.

Finally, if the damage occurred 2-3 years ago, the insurance query might have hit the factory at a time when building a wall panel would have been considered a "special build", meaning very expensive. I don't know this to be true, but the timing would suggest it.

But the bottom line is that the NADA low value today is about $5000. If you subtract the $2K estimate that they have into it, you might expect to pay about $3K.

Sound reasonable?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:08 PM   #9
JimColorado

Default damage

Thanks Bill. I figured the panel replacement was non-trivial and thus relative expensive.

With what I have learned, the asking price is out of line with the actual value. This is especially true if one considers resale down the road.

Again thanks all for the info.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #10
Shane826
TrailManor Master

If I were to attempt to fix that, I would just get an outer aluminum skin (not the whole sandwich panel) possibly pre-painted and with graphics, remove the windows and trim panels along the edges, glue/epoxy the new skin on, and reassemble the trim and windows. Leave all existing wiring and structural components as they are. You don't put a while new wall on the house for siding damage, do you?
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote