TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #1
NorCalKid

Default Delivery & One-Way Truck Rental

Hello TM Owners,
It seems that I may have to find a TM outside of my area in Northern California.
1) Does anyone know of a reliable delivery service and approximate costs?
I may try to fly and rent a pick-up one way.
2) Does anyone know of a rental company that rents pick-ups one way.
I've looked and the large rental companies seem to only rent round trip or local.
3) Any alternative suggestions on how to get a TM over a long distance, since I don't have multiple vacation days until spring, and some distances cannot be made, round trip, on a weekend.
Thanks for any input.
Neil
NorCalKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
stormpeakco

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalKid View Post
Hello TM Owners,
It seems that I may have to find a TM outside of my area in Northern California.
1) Does anyone know of a reliable delivery service and approximate costs?
I may try to fly and rent a pick-up one way.
2) Does anyone know of a rental company that rents pick-ups one way.
I've looked and the large rental companies seem to only rent round trip or local.
3) Any alternative suggestions on how to get a TM over a long distance, since I don't have multiple vacation days until spring, and some distances cannot be made, round trip, on a weekend.
Thanks for any input.
Neil
__________________________________________________ _____
is the price of a small Ryder, U-haul or Penske truck one way an option (too spendy)?
also, no experience with it but there are people (truckers, naturally references, bonding & insurance would be a must) on craigslist.org wanting to fill a load (flat bed or covered) on the return trip rather than drive empty.
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Some sellers are willing to travel part-way to sell their TM. An advantage of this is, if you meet them and the trailer is not in the condition they represented, you can walk away. If it is delivered to you, sight-unseen, you are stuck with it.

I would be very leery of buying a trailer without having a chance to look it over before handing-over the money. We want to trust people, but some on this forum have been excited about going to pick up a trailer, then report that it was not what they were told it was. More damage, for instance.

Once you find one, you may want to ask if anyone in that area may be willing/able to preview it for you. True, you are still trusting a stranger, but if I was previewing a trailer for you, I would be very sure I let you know about everything I saw. If you said you wanted it camp-ready, if I wouldn't buy it for myself (condition-wise), I would not encourage you to buy it. If you wanted a fixer-upper, that gives me a different set of parameters.

Good luck!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
br2_wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
Some sellers are willing to travel part-way to sell their TM. An advantage of this is, if you meet them and the trailer is not in the condition they represented, you can walk away. If it is delivered to you, sight-unseen, you are stuck with it.

I would be very leery of buying a trailer without having a chance to look it over before handing-over the money. We want to trust people, but some on this forum have been excited about going to pick up a trailer, then report that it was not what they were told it was. More damage, for instance.

Once you find one, you may want to ask if anyone in that area may be willing/able to preview it for you. True, you are still trusting a stranger, but if I was previewing a trailer for you, I would be very sure I let you know about everything I saw. If you said you wanted it camp-ready, if I wouldn't buy it for myself (condition-wise), I would not encourage you to buy it. If you wanted a fixer-upper, that gives me a different set of parameters.

Good luck!
Neil:

I was faced with this same dilemma, and when I checked all the major rental car companies, exactly NONE of them would knowingly rent me a pickup truck even though it was equipped with with a hitch for towing. No car rental company is willing to be liable if something happens while you're towing a trailer, so I don't believe that is an option for you.

Duane's guidance makes sense, and I agree you cannot buy a TM from a long distance away sight unseen; you must have someone who has some knowledge of trailers in general, and preferably some knowledge of TM's. Though that is less then ideal, it is certainly better then not having it checked out at all and getting a not so nice "surprise" when it arrives.

As for shipping it or meeting someone halfway, all options can be evaluated once you find the right unit. Good luck ...
br2_wdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:47 PM   #5
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

I myself have traveled to look at a few TM's that were owned by older couple was told all is good , got there and the wood was rotted in the bathroom from Pee on the floor, and then there was glue on the ceiling and the seals did not seal at the top. I was told about the hail damage tho. Another was a bit closer to me it was to be in excellent condition, well another person's excellent was not my kind of Excellent condition. Moulding all coming off, vent fan leaks water, stain on couch, decals all peeling from sun. So I do suggest to go look at them in person, make the deal if you like it, give a down payment get a written bill of sale and contract with that persons drivers Lic. number on it somewhere if they are not on the up and up. So as you can have something to help locate them just in case. Then make arrangement to pick up of have delivered .

Good luck

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote