TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #1
jbfoster

Default 1988 Trailmanor Info Needed

Hi All, I have been wanting a TM for years but the price has stopped me. I wanted something fairly decent but have never ran across one in California I could afford. I just saw a 1988 TM 23 for $3,200 on CraigsList. I have no idea how much to offer. At this point I will not go over $2,000. I saw a few pictures. I texted the seller asking some questions but have not heard back yet.

I thought I would get your input as to price and what to look for.

What do you all think? Should I try to make an offer or hold out for a newer model?

Thanks
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00J0J_aSiXib4FdWp_50x50c.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	9503   Click image for larger version

Name:	00k0k_2hWIzdEpg2I_50x50c.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	9504   Click image for larger version

Name:	01515_4Or248oajZK_50x50c.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	9505  
Old 01-06-2014, 05:00 AM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

In my opinion, your suggesting 30% less than his asking price? That could be insulting. I may not respond to a suggestion like that either. At some point, the TM does have its bottom value, and the seller feels its $3200. I realize its well over 20 years old, but if the electrical and mechanical components are all in working order, that's the majority of the value. If I had a vehicle that I was selling and asking $10k for, and someone offered less than $7k, I wouldn't bother.

Be more reasonable. Email the seller and find out what he will take for it. Start a conversation with what he wants... If all you have to spend is $2k, that may not get it.

Good luck.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
MisterP

I disagree with rvcycleguy. If a price is listed as firm, then it would be insulting or unreasonable to offer less. If someone lists an asking price, they have put a number out there that they hope will create interest.

Offer whatever you can afford. They will decide whether your offer meets their expectations of what they hoped to gain from the sale.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:01 AM   #4
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Hi Jim,
Welcome to the Forum. According to the Nada guide a 1988 Trailmanor has a low value of $2,000 and an average selling price of $2,500. If the rig your looking at is in good condition an everything works, the owner is probably right in his pricing; however it wouldn't hurt to offer less and if you really want it, meet in the middle.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
MariaG

If I were asking $3200 for a 1988, it had better be in excellent condition, everything working, and been stored inside when not in use for it's entire life. We paid $1800 for a 1986 and I think we over paid, considering the amount of work we had to put into it to make it useable. (See blog in my address below if you want to see what was needed.) If it's been for sale a while, he might take less, but I'd definitely look it over with a fine tooth comb and politely inform him of the blue book before negotiating. If it is in excellent condition with no water damage, you might get it for $2800ish. As always, my opinion, YMMV.
See my TrailManor Repair blog at:
http://trailmanorrepair.blogspot.com/
MariaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #6
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

Jim
If it is in very good shape,and (if) being the big word here. I would have a hard time giving that for that yr. me i would toss out a number around 1200 to 1500, heck just how many people does he have calling about a tm going on 25 year old, really, you could be the only one with intrest and cash, always make sure they know that, cash is king
i know that you are out there on the left coast and prices always seem to run much higher then on this side of country, for what it is worth

update,
dw just chimed in to remind me that we sold our 88 king for 2500. and the 91 for about 3 k , so i guess it does matter what side of coin you are on,,
buying or selling,mmmm

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Others have said it must be in top condition and to check it over with a fine toothed comb...

You can check the stove, AC, toilet, power converter, and water pretty easily. If any of them are not working you have some place to start to negotiate.

But on a TrailManor that old you need to be sure the there is no water damage and the wood framing is not rotted out anywhere. Look for staining on the inside and then take several screws out (on the outside) and check the condition of the wood. You should also tighten screws along the bottom on the outside. They should not spin freely....

Rotten wood can be repaired, and there are some posts here on the forum documenting their repairs. But that kind of job is NOT easy.

HTH, Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #8
jbfoster

Wow thanks for the input. You guys are great. I don't want to insult anyone either but I just can't bringing myself to pay that much. I remember about 6 years ago when I was looking for a small truck for work. The asking prices people were asking were just crazy. Same thing with travel trailers. I can't believe the prices people are paying on eBay for junk.

All the good deals are way east of me. Every now and then I see a decent deal but I didn't have the money at the time. We will see how it goes on this one. I texted the seller yesterday about 6 pm and as of now I have not received an answer.

Fingers crossed.................

Thanks Again
Jim
Old 01-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Jim, I am going to disagree that $3200 is way too much, or that $2000 is reasonable, if the unit is in very good shape.

Two years ago, I sold our pop-up camper for $1,800. I had lots of calls at that price, and sold it to the first couple that looked at it. It was n '86, 10' canvas pop-up. I have had my TM for two years, and it is many-times over better than a pop-up. Hard sides, insulated walls and roof, more space (the one you are looking at is much larger than mine), etc., etc., etc. There is a minimum amount for any trailer in good shape.

If it has no water damage, no major scratches/dents/damage, and everything is working, $3,000 seems fair. A new unit of that size would run you $30,000+. 10% of a new unit is not unreasonable. Cars also reach a minimum value, when in good condition.

I would suggest finding a way to come up with a bit more money. When we bought our pop-up, it was a stretch for us to come up with $1,000 cash. (Yes, the same one I sold for $1,800.) But, for 10 years after that, my wife was always saying "this is the best $1,000 we ever spent". It will be worth it for you to pay $3,000, if it is in very good condition (no wood rot, no leaks).

Happy shopping!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

It looks like it's in pretty good shape, plus they took a picture of it right outside of a big metal storage building, maybe they kept it inside there? That would make a huge difference. It's on craigslist in Modesto? You really would have to go check it out in person to determine how much to pay for it.