TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-16-2003, 09:03 PM   #1
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Default Lurked, looked, and lucked out.

Several new members have written about their units and the help they got from this site as they lurked and looked.

We had a similar experience. Probably more interesting to me than to some of you, but here's the short version. The Coleman we sold a year and a half ago was registered in DW's name so I didn't have to fool with the paperwork. When we sold it we figured our camping days were probably over since the last time around was really for the grandkids anyway, and the first batch had almost outgrown the desire to go camping with the geezers.

Then one day DW got a postcard with a TM ad on it. She thought it looked interesting and asked if I had ever seen one. I hadn't, so I got on the web to see what they were all about. After a few searches I came across this site and have been hooked ever since. I got on shortly before the dues deal started, and am glad the site is now somewhat self supporting, or at least helps in some way to subsidize the time and effort that Chris and others have devoted to it. I really enjoy reading the posts, and seldom miss a day.

The end result of all this is that we recently bought a '98 3124KS and are working to make it presentable. It's very comforting to know that the answers to any questions that come up are readily available and that the level of expertise is so great. And this time, we don't really care if the new batch of grandkids want to go or not. We've decided we really enjoy it and are going to keep on doing it until we can't get it up anymore .

Out of curiosity, does anybody know if any of the other RV's have a site that operates on the same basis and with the same quality of information and expertise?
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 09:21 PM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Lurked, looked, and lucked out.

[quote author=G-V_Driver link=board=1;threadid=1575;start=msg11122#msg11122 date=1071633828]

Out of curiosity, does anybody know if any of the other RV's have a site that operates on the same basis and with the same quality of information and expertise?
[/quote]

There are a couple that immediately come to mind...namely concerning brands that have inspired a lot of customer loyalty, owner get-togethers, etc.

One is SunnyBrook...the SunnyBrook owners I've met in campgrounds have mentioned going to their confabs. And they have an owner's website...didn't dig deep enough to see if it's better than ours: http://www.sunnybrooktalk.com/members/index.php

But the real grand daddy of owners and owner loyalty has to be the Airstream crowd...going at least as far back as Wally Byam's Airstream Caravans. This is the Byam website (http://www.wbcci.org/)...googling on "airstream owners" turned up a large number of hits for owner groups (e.g. http://www.airstreamforums.com/forum...7cf05a063071bc).

And there are bunch of others...here's a partial index http://www.rvnetlinx.com/htclubowner.php3
We're unique but not alone in our loyalty.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 09:25 PM   #3
PAUL_R

Even thoe I sold my Trailmanor, I am a paying member to this site.Trailmanor was our first unit. We brought directly from the factory back then. We Loved the unit, but we wanted something larger and had more weight for the type of camping we do.

I now own another type of low-profile trailer, Hi-Lo and they too have an owners'site. The site is sponsored by Hi-Lo and a factory vice president often replys to questions and problems raised by the owners.

Paul
2003 29' Hi-Lo Classic
2004 2500 Dodge Ram HO CTD (had to get a bigger rig to tow that Hi-Lo. My 1500 Dodge Ram 5.9L w/tow package couldn't do the mountains with the Hi-LO whereas with the Trailmanor I never new it was there)
MCkesh Mirrors
Prodigy brake controller
Equal-i-zer weight distribution/anti-sway
Old 12-16-2003, 09:36 PM   #4
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Paul,

Have you done a point-by-point comparison of the Hi-LO and the TM? I'd be interested, and would bet many others would as well.
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:01 AM   #5
efelker

G_V:

Here is a forum site for popups: http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/default.asp. They actually have some interesting stuff they talk about. Some of the mods actually have application to the TM as well. Sometimes there is even TM specific information, although they treat it as a "hybrid." Got to run and wash my mouth out with soap after making that last statement.

Ed
Old 12-17-2003, 05:20 PM   #6
PAUL_R

G.V I would love to give a comparison between the two unique but different hard side trailers. However, I don't want to infuse anytype of flaming or negative comments. Because I would only be giving my opinion or 2 cents worth.

Nevertheless having said that here goes. First and foremost with a trailmanor you sure have the advantage of tow vehicles. I couldn't tow my new Hi-Lo with my current vehicle so right there was money I had to send (wife not a happy camper behind that expense).

I had a 2002 1500 Dodge Ram 5.9L with tow/package, but I could hardly get through the Big Horn mountain range on the way to Yellowstone, whereas with the trailmanor we went up and over the smokey mountain in OD and I never knew the trailmanor was there. In essence Trailmanor advantage all the way.

Hi-Lo advantage (for us only..no bad mouthing or flaming) We liked the heavy feel and fit and finish. We felt that over the long haul the Trailmanor was so light weight that it would not hold up to constance use.

Because I am retired and my wife can work from her computer we camp and travel often. We use the camper like a hotel and since we live in the south we are always on the road. After our trips in the trailmanor we would find screws on the floor, this or that had shaken or fallen off. rust under the bed supports and many other VERY small things that I thought for such an expensive unit shouldn't be happening after less than a year(we got our unit brand new from the factory..met owner and Jimmy Davis great people. We were a little nervous going to the factory because we were an Afro-American couple, but they treated us like royality).

My Hi-Lo has a "tip-out" which is like a slide out and this makes my unit very spacious. We have a fixed queen size bed and a bigger bath.

Raising the unit only calls for pushing a "raise button" but i'll make you laugh, in key west our unit had a mechanical failure and we counldn't get it lowered....now that never happen with the Trailmanor.

This is getting too long. Bottom line I can and do recommend the Trailmanor to any an all that ask about our Hi-Lo and they have weight worries.

Two months ago we were at our fishing hole and as we were coming into shore with our porte-bote, there parked right next to our Hi-Lo was our old Trailmanor. You see, the guy who used to camp next to us in a Coleman Pop-up always liked our Trailmanor so when he saw our new Hi-Lo he asked what happened to the Trailmanor (we told him we traded it in) what does he do but go to Texas and buy our old Trailmanor. I have a digtal picture of our two units side by side if someone can direct me to how to post a picture i'll send it.

Hi-Lo numbers: Length 29'9'
width 100"
travel Height 79"
hitch weight 890lbs
UVW 5720lbs
GVWR 7500lbs
Old 12-19-2003, 07:48 AM   #7
arknoah

The Hi-Lo is a good unit, and you really have to make a decision based on your needs and how you intent to use it. For us, the weight of the Hi-Lo really concerned me regarding towing. However, the new slide out models (there is a dealer for Hi-Los and Towlites in our town) make them much more attractive because of the space.

To each his own.