TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Default Prospective owner needs a little help

We may be getting close

We think we have found a used TM that is just like what we want and are going to look at it tomorrow. Below are the things I know I should check out from reading the site. Is there anything I have missed?

Will:
Check the tires Propane tanks and batteries for age.
Make sure all electric and propane items work.
Open and close it to make sure it works easily.
Look for any signs of leaks or dry rot.

We have also gone and looked at Rangers as possible TV but are now thinking we might rather have something else. As I need to buy something I would appreciate any advice as to what would be good vehicles to pair with a 2720 SL. I want something as fuel efficient as possible but don’t want to have to worry about not being safe or way underpowered. There will be mountain driving and I would hate to have to leave the bicycles or maybe a kayak behind because of weight. If you don’t have a recommendation I would still be interested in anyone’s opinion as to tow capacity I should be looking for. I have been thinking in the 5K range but after reading I can't help but wonder if i should not have more.

You are all so nice and helpful, hope to meet some of you on the road one day.
Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
rumbleweed

I am sure you will get lots of TVs to and not to buy so I will make my comments generic. Think about what type of camping you will be doing when you get up to speed and what additional equipment( ie junk) you will want to have with you. It is easy to overload the TM and have tire issues you can avoid them by carrying more stuff in the TV. If you keep this in mind as well as the combined gross weight, you will be happy with your decision. Just about anything will tow the TM, but not everything will result in an uneventful and enjoyable trip.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Redhawk

Reading your comments, you sound like me when I started. So I suggest that you find a nice truck so you can take what ever you want and not have to worry about weight, safety, braking, climbing, etc. It's just part of the deal.
We bought a Highlander (rated @ 5000) but quickly moved to a Tundra. I don't enjoy watching every little thing we load and begging the wife to take it easy. Now we just throw in what ever we want (within reason of course) and don't worry about it. MUCH more relaxed and everyone's happy.

We recently did a 3K mile trip and it was pretty effortless as far as towing. We loved every minute of it.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
M&M Hokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
...but quickly moved to a Tundra.
We had a Sienna (only 3500 pound rated) but after doing a few trips, some math and a little weighing, we too moved up to the Tundra. I cannot tell you how much more enjoyable the TM is when you can actually put water in it and not have had to remove seats from your TV and cabinets from your TM.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
Bluegrass

Your checklist sounds right.

I agree with John. Reading what you want to do - not worry about weight and be able to do mountain driving, I'd recommend a 1/2 ton pickup.

2000 - 2006 Tundras have a 7500 # GVWR. My 3124kb weighs only 225 # more than the 2720sl and when I weighed my whole setup fully loaded, I had #1000 pounds to spare. That means that towing with 5000# GVWR would not be sufficient for me nor for you. You'll also appreciate the additional hp from a small V8 when going up the grades. I get around 13mpg with mine.

Just my opinion, of course.

Good luck!!

Keith
Old 07-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
rothko1

If you're going to do a fair amount of mountain towing I would agree with the posts above and go with the larger pickup. I've been towing mine here in the four corners area with ( just camped at 8000 feet this past weekend) and it's been a breeze with the truck. Keep in mind that as you climb in altitude you will lose some towing capacity ( can't recall what the formula is right now) so it cant hurt to have extra. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:38 AM   #7
rjlwork

We've been considering a Tundra too. My main question revolves around problems with it. I've been reading there are alot of problems with the brakes (undersized rotors). Not my favorite problem to have if I'm towing. Is this all in the past or still a problem? I know it's overkill for the mini but we may want to move up someday to a larger TM.

Judy
2010 Trailmini
2007 Buick Rendezvous
Old 07-22-2010, 06:19 AM   #8
Bob&Karen

Well, our TV is certainly overkill, but bought it with an eye towards my future retirement and a fifth wheel camper. However, I must say, we just returned about a month ago from a trip to Theodore Roosevelt National Park and the truck didn't even know the TM was back there. Probably some of the most relaxed towing I've ever done.

I agree with the above posters who say that 5000 lbs. might limit you somewhat. We previously towed our TM with a Ford Expedition rated for 8000 lbs (plus or minus) and sometimes struggled a bit at elevation. However, the Expedition is heavier all by itself than a 1/2 ton truck. I would recommend a V-8.

Good luck,

Bob
Old 07-22-2010, 08:15 AM   #9
M&M Hokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlwork View Post
I've been reading there are alot of problems with the brakes (undersized rotors). Not my favorite problem to have if I'm towing. Is this all in the past or still a problem? I know it's overkill for the mini but we may want to move up someday to a larger TM.
I hadn't heard about "undersized rotors". I suppose I can look up the size of the ones installed on mine. The Tundra has gotten larger over the years so perhaps this complaint has to do with specific model years. The Tundra I have is sized for more than 10K pounds of towing capacity so I can't imagine it having difficulty with even a large TM.

I had a yellow light pop up at in inopportune moment on recent trip and I was able to stop the whole rig in a real hurry without anything feeling like it was fighting me. I wouldn't have even bothered trying to brake in this scenario back when I used the Sienna because at best I would have ended up in the middle of the intersection. YMMV
Old 07-22-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
Redhawk

Well, now thanks to Judy, I need to check my rotors! LOL My Tundra is the smaller version being an '06, it is the 4 door so I have the longer wheel base. Only had it about 1 year, and no brake issues yet. If I have any complaint about the Tundra, it is MPG. We averaged 14 on the recent long trip. I'm not sure how this compares to other brands. Due to the smaller dimensions (fits in the garage) and car like comfort, it's perfect for me.
I have a lot of friends that own Ford, GM, Dodge and it seems to me that they all are of high quality and very comparable.