TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

Smile We are now TM owners!

We found a used model we had been looking for, and pulled the trigger today. It is a 2006 2720 SL in very good condition with swing-around tongue, vinyl floors, air conditioner, awning, hanging kitchen cabinet, and TV antenna with power amp. The only other option I would have added if buying new would have been the bike carrier receiver. I figure replace the tires (even though they look good) and maybe the battery and we are ready for the road. It was a trade in on a larger RV. The dealer is repacking the wheel bearings for us before we pick it up.

We are both ecstatic about finding it.

I would like opinions on an offer they made us. Given it is 4 years old and things do wear out would it be worth it to purchase a bumper to bumper extended warranty for 4 years for $1,000? I know for the most part people should not buy extended warranties but the refrigerator and air would cost that each if they went out. So I suppose my question is what are the chances I would recoup my $1,000. What items are likely to go out on a TM in 8 years? If you have owned your TM for 8 years I would really like to know what wore out during this time period? I would love to hear everyone say "nothing".

Thank you all so much for your help!
Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesherp View Post
We found a used model we had been looking for, and pulled the trigger today. It is a 2006 2720 SL in very good condition with swing-around tongue, vinyl floors, air conditioner, awning, hanging kitchen cabinet, and TV antenna with power amp. The only other option I would have added if buying new would have been the bike carrier receiver. I figure replace the tires (even though they look good) and maybe the battery and we are ready for the road. It was a trade in on a larger RV. The dealer is repacking the wheel bearings for us before we pick it up.

We are both ecstatic about finding it.

I would like opinions on an offer they made us. Given it is 4 years old and things do wear out would it be worth it to purchase a bumper to bumper extended warranty for 4 years for $1,000? I know for the most part people should not buy extended warranties but the refrigerator and air would cost that each if they went out. So I suppose my question is what are the chances I would recoup my $1,000. What items are likely to go out on a TM in 8 years?

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

My opinion on extended warranties......

Take it home and read it very carefully..........I have never seen one that was worth the paper it was written on............having said that........you may have found a diamond among all those rocks......
Old 07-23-2010, 06:30 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

A little bit more here

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=8042

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:41 AM   #4
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to the club.

$1000 sounds like a lot for 4 years' maintenance, especially considering that most maintenance for me has been the dumb things I've done (like not leaving the kitchen faucets open when I winterized the trailer one year), which presumably wouldn't be covered by a warranty.

The cost of membership in this forum, on the other hand is a much better deal.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
rothko1

CONGRATULATIONS!!! enjoy it!
Jim
Old 07-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

A few things to consider:

1) does it truly cover everything?
2) is there a deductible?
3) can you take it anywhere for repairs, or does it have to go to a specified shop? How far from your house is the shop? Are you likely to actually hook up your trailer and tow it to the shop for smaller repairs, or will you just do them yourself?
4) do you have to pay upfront or can the shop direct bill? If the former, does the company have a reputation of delayed payments or disputing claims?

If I were in your shoes, I would be inclined to pass on it if I were a reasonably handy person. If I didn't know how to use anything but a screwdriver, I would seriously consider it.

By buying it, you are gambling that you will have at least $1,000 in repairs in the next 4 years (provided there are no deductibles). But that excludes maintenance items, like bearings, tires, batteries, burst pipes from freezing, winterizing, etc. I think that's where most of the expense in RV ownership comes from.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
Redhawk

Is it a "Trailmanor" extended warranty or a third party? I would pass regardless, ESPECIALLY if it's a 3rd party deal, extended warranties are sold strictly to make money. If they weren't coming out ahead...they wouldn't be offering them!

Enjoy your camper!!

Are you suppose to close your facuets in the winter? ah oh.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
Joe

We are now in our 3rd TM. The first one was bought in 1993. The 2nd TM had a side mounted AC which failed after 3 or 4 years. We bought a replacement for about $100 and replaced it ourselves. Took a little cutting and fitting because it wasn't the exact same size. We have never had any need to replace the refrigerator.

My suggestion is to put the $1000 in your savings account and let it grow interest until the unlikely event that your AC or refrigerator fails.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
Reldma

I have to agree with the others and forget the extended warranty. We bought a used TM and it had a number of issues, but have not spent $50 on the fixes. But the $12 for the membership to this forum has been an excellent investment. It will answer most of the question you ever have about your TM.
Ray
Reldma is offline   Reply With Quote