TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
Maine Jeff

Default My 3023 is toast

I moved last year and left my TM 3023 parked at my old place. It was open all winter and the snow load caused the roof to cave in. I understand that it is a factory job to get it back to it's intended condition. I can't afford to do that.

We love our TM. Since I've already written it off as a total loss, it can't hurt to try to salvage it.I'd like some input.

I've consider 2 options.

1. take the shells off.the sidewall are still good. build a roof between the 2 walls. I'm thinking that so long as i maintained a 1":8' slope, I wouldn't nee to provide an arc the roof,though I suspect the arc would aid greatly in structural support. I'm not sure how the roof attaches to the side walls currently, though. Then I could cover with the new seamless roof material that is available for RV's these days. Any thoughts appreciated sinceIknow nothing about the new roofs.

2. construct an aluminum and ABS structure, Apache style. The challenges here are providing a lifting mechanism and the lower walls would have to support the weight of the upper walls. I would need to reconfigure the door and beef up the bed supports since they will be supporting the additional weight of the surrounding walls.

I'm brainstorming and am open to any and all suggestions. Like I said, I'm trying to bring it back from the dead, so no idea is a bad idea. If you have a crazy suggestion that your embarrassed to post publicly, PM me.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Yikes, that is heart breaking. How much snow did you get? I seem to recall reading on TM's website that the roof is built to sustain 2 feet of snow. They don't say anything about ice, though.

Obviously the original design and construction is the best way to go. Anything else will be sub-optimal, but it may indeed be cheaper. But I'd at least consider original construction first. One suggestion is to spend $200-$300 and fly down to the factory to take a tour. That way you can see exactly how it is constructed, and perhaps closely mimic at least the design and materials, although you may not be able to use the same construction technique (like adhering the aluminum to the foam).

Another idea is to buy this salvaged 3124 on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=110411905761

...and salvage the roof, and part out the rest. I wouldn't be surprised if you got $1000 for the appliances alone. The guy says he also has a 3023, which might be easier to fit. Or wait for a salvaged 3023 to appear.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
CowboysFan78

This is terrible!! Will insurance cover this? I'd assume they should, right?!

Tags
damage, repair, roof