TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #11
mgoblue911

Default Sights to see in Yellowstone and Black Hills

Yellowstone: We planned a day for each major area of the park: Old Faithful and geyser basins, canyons with the upper and lower falls, Mammoth Hot Springs. There are so many nice little hikes to some of the best scenery if you are up for more than just the drive by's.

Rafter J: Do the evening ceremony at Mt. Rushmore, you will not be disappointed. Custer St. Park is full of buffalo, big horn sheep, and other wild life. Wind Cave and Jewel Cave are also worth the trip. The Badlands are a must, and the photo ops in the evening/dusk are remarkable. I wish I had stuck to my guns and passed on Wall Drugs.

Tetons: Wholeheartedly second the Jenny Lake hike to Inspiration Point and Hidden Falls. They are both quite awesome.

Any way to make time for a quick stop at Devil's Tower? We all enjoyed our hike around it very much.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:39 PM   #12
Bluegrass

Thanks, Jon. Very helpful suggestions. We can't make Devil's tower on this trip but on the way to SD, we are going to take the highway from Rawlins to Casper so we can see Independence Rock. On the way back we'll follow the emigrant trail along the Sweetwater to catch the historic sites along the trail.

Based on suggestions, we're going to try to leave Lander early enough to spend some time at Jenny lake on the way to Fishing Bridge.

Clearly, this is territory we'll return to now that we live in Utah.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
Bluegrass

We're about 80% through this trip and finally have access to wifi and a computer.

Can't say enough about Rafter J Bar RV park as a central point for the Black Hills. Great people, a nice facility spread over a huge area, and very centrally located. When my tire pressure turned out to be a bit low, they brought down a portable compressor so I could fill the tires in my campsite.

The Black Hills are so full of history that the few days we spent there were wholly inadequate. If you just want to see carved mountains, a couple of days are fine but I'd suggest reading a bit of the history of this region and spend a week. It's rich in so many ways.

We then drove straight across Wyoming to Flagg Ranch RV park just a couple of miles before the south entrance to Yellowstone. (I'll never drive that long of a stretch again!!!) We still had two days before our reservations in the park so we drove down to Jackson, spent some time in the shops, then drove back up through the west route with a stop at Jenny Lake, thanks to the advice we received in this forum. Spectacular is too mild a term!

Yellowstone is well described elsewhere on the net so I won't dwell on it here. Fishing Bridge is close quarters but was quite adequate as a base camp. We did take the Yellow Bus tour of the northern loop (called the Washburn tour after the Army surveyor who was sent to verify the incredible claims of the mountain men.) Lots of animals on this tour. Bison were everywhere and definitely command the right of way when they cross the roads. I'm a history nut and enjoyed the commenatry of the very knowledgeable guide on this tour. We also took the Geysers tour but in retrospect, I think we could have visited those sites ourselves and not missed much. Food at the Lake Lodge cafeteria was pretty dismal but the food in the dining room of the Lake Hotel was nothing short of first rate, though pricey. It was our 42nd anniversary so we celebrated there.

We left via the West entrance, again a pretty drive along the Madison river. We followed the Madison Valley with a stop in Ennis, Montana and then continued to Missoula. This was gentle downhill all the way. I got an astounding 16 mpg on this leg. Jim and Mary's RV Park in Missoula is one of the best we've stayed at. But it is a very popular place. Make reservations or get there early. Lots of Floridians who come here for the summer.

Al and Sue asked about Yellowstone at this time of year. Weather has been perfect. Low to high 70s in the day and high 30's at night in Yellowstone. Warmer in the Black Hills and here in Montana. Staff at the park said that there are no fewer people this time of year but the demographics are different. Fewer kids, more geezers like me. One knowlegeable ranger said that the last two weeks of August are the best. People with kids are back home already, labor day hasn't hit yet, and a lot of people (like me) assume that waiting until after labor day is better.

We're going to fish the Bitterroot river tomorrow and Monday then head for home. Should be back on the forum on the 23rd.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #14
Al-n-Sue

Thanks for the report Keith. As many others probably do, I have to go after Labor Day to get the extra "free" day off of work. But sounds like it will be a great trip. I will definitely check out the Washburn tour.
Alan