TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
MaryLou

Question Upper nylon door latch - problems??

[F][/FONT]
We have 2720SL 2006 TM. We are having problems with the upper door latch. While traveling on the freeway from Washington back home to Eugene, OR the door popped open. Is anyone else having problems with this latch?

Bob and Ginger Bell
Eugene, OR
TM 2720SL - 2006
Pulled with 2003 Dodge Ram
Old 07-10-2006, 05:11 PM   #2
Freedom

This has been talked about many times. The latch is basically a joke. I made a longer one and always turn it clockwise so the screw doesn't back out. Do a search and you will come up with a lot of info. Here's one link to save you some time. http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ighlight=latch
Old 07-10-2006, 06:57 PM   #3
Magdefrau

Yes, yes ,yes! A thread not a year ago brought this up. Seems like a fellow bought a silver dead bolt lock and instaled it to the upper door. This matched to lower door's dead bolt lock so that the upper one looked right.
Also someone would not be able to lock you in with this type lock system. I continue to tape the door with duck tape. I was set to put locking pin on, but I like the dead bolt lock ideal better than mine.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
91whitetc

I installed the deadbolt lock in the upper door which prevents the upper door from opening while traveling. I also used an old style window shash lock to replace the nylon thing. Now I can latch the two door halves together if I want. Works great.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:44 PM   #5
jdwcrna

Default Upper door latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLou View Post
[F][/FONT]
We have 2720SL 2006 TM. We are having problems with the upper door latch. While traveling on the freeway from Washington back home to Eugene, OR the door popped open. Is anyone else having problems with this latch?

Bob and Ginger Bell
Eugene, OR
TM 2720SL - 2006
Pulled with 2003 Dodge Ram
We are new owners of a 2007 3326. On our second trip out we became locked into our camper due to the upper door latch being loose and pivoting into the locked position as we closed the door behind us. We were able to hail another camper to "unlock" the door. I suspect your latch is loose as well. It was a simple fix for us to gently tighten the upper door latch screw until it would stay in place.

Jeff Watson, Johnson City, TN
Old 06-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
jhill30

I need a new one of these door latches. stupid me, tried to open the door with it latched, and of course it broke.
does anyone know where i can find it, or is it TM specific and can only be ordered from the factory. I have searched everywhere with no luck.
I have seen some of the other fixes for this latch, but I actually like the latch being it has never caused me any problems.
Just to be clear on which latch. It is the one that holds the door closed with the TM is down. It is made out of nylon (I guess) and it just swivels around to catch the door to hold it closed.
Thanks...
Old 06-14-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
Al-n-Sue

I think it is a standard RV type part. I had several just like it on my popup. You should be able to find it at any RV store or online - maybe rvdirect.com or rvwarehouse.com. I got some from my TM dealer when I stepped on one on my rear bumper and broke it off! :-(
Old 06-14-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

I keep 1 or 2 of these in my spare parts supply. They will go bad from exposure to ultraviolet light (sunlight). Usually takes about 3 to 4 years for the one on the door and a little longer for the ones on the rear bumper storage. Got mine at the RV dealer.

Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
jhill30

thanks...I will check there. I was looking at hardware stores. Nobody had ever seen anything like it before.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #10
PopBeavers

I broke one on the rear bumper storage cover a few weeks ago, so I will be looking for them.