TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-01-2005, 01:02 PM   #1
cmc211

Default Grease wheel bearings

I read all the posts so far. How often do you grease the wheel bearings? I am planning a 3000 trip nex week. Should I grease them before I leave?
Old 07-01-2005, 04:08 PM   #2
BobRederick

CMC

The manual says 2000 miles for greasing and I believe anually for brake adjustment and seal replacement. So if you grease before leaving, you should shoot in a bit more along the way somewhere.

If I may, a word to the wise from the school of hard knocks:
a) I found on my 3326K with Dexter bearings a bit tricky to get grease into. Seems the wheels can stop in a position to block the grease passages. If you get it wrong, you can squeeze the grease gun till the cows come home and no grease will go in. If you move the trailer a bit, the grease goes into that zerk easily. So go around and grease all that take grease, move the trailer and get the obstinate ones.

b) the rim around the zerk that holds the rubber grease cover in place is sharper than most kitchen knives. At least it seems that way if you stick your finger in there and try to wipe the excess grease out. Don't do that. Use a Q-Tip or something equivalent, but not the finger. Several of us know about that and have commented in the forum.

Have a great trip!

Bob
Old 07-05-2005, 06:35 AM   #3
cmc211

Thanks Bob, As always I appreciate your advice. I bought me a grease gun yesterday. Plan on greasing it tonight. I also made sure I got the right grease. I'll pack the grease gun and take it along! what lubercant do you use on the jacks? Dave
Old 07-05-2005, 07:32 AM   #4
Windbreaker

I'm not Bob but I suggest WD 40. The jacks are uncoated metal and therefore rust. WD 40 was designed to draw the moisture out and provide a protective coating, just what is needed in this case. However you have to coat it about everyday or two for it seems. Easy to tell when it needs another shot.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:38 AM   #5
cmc211

I'll take advice from everybody!! This forum has been great!!! WD-40 sounds good!!
Old 07-05-2005, 09:10 PM   #6
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Silcone spray works better than WD40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmc211
I'll take advice from everybody!! This forum has been great!!! WD-40 sounds good!!
WD-40 is primarily a water displacement (that's what the "WD" stands for) agent for protecting metal with some lubricating capability. It doesn't last long...and it collects dirt. I'm finding that as long as the jacks are dry at time of application, spraying them with silicone spray produces a coating that lubricates much better, lasts a whole lot longer, and doesn't attract dust nearly as badly as WD-40.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:25 PM   #7
BobRederick

CMC
I recommend spray-on dry teflon lube for the jacks. It dries to a powder and doesn't attract dust. I just got back from a trip and the jacks work like new. Spray the silicon on the jack-screw as well as the bearings on both ends.

BTW, this stuff works great on any cabinet door that squeeks as well. I get one up on them and spray them all at the same time to prevent the squeeks. You will have to wipe the white overspray off the cabinet after it dries but if you are careful with the little red tube that comes with it, you won't be wiping many off.

I wish I could tell you where I bought it, but auto stores or Home Depot come to mind. Bill had a lot of trouble finding it, so you might call ahead.

I am thinking about spraying it on my WDH. It is supposed to be lubricated where the torsion bars pivot. I am not sure it will take the stress that it sees here, but it sure would be good to not attract dust and grit into those bearings where it is nearly impossible to clean them out.

Bob
Old 07-06-2005, 05:55 AM   #8
cmc211

Talking

Alright last night I greased up the wheel bearings. I'm glad I did because it took quite a few pumps to get clean grease to come out. I'm sure they didn't grease them after delivery to the dealer. I then used q-tips to clean the excess grease out. The hardest part of the whole process was getting those black rubber caps back on!! I see I should have 1 or 2 spares in stock. Where can you get them?
Old 07-10-2005, 08:42 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRederick
CMC
I recommend spray-on dry teflon lube for the jacks. I wish I could tell you where I bought it, but auto stores or Home Depot come to mind. Bill had a lot of trouble finding it, so you might call ahead.
Bob
Bob - Your suggestion to find it at Lowe's was exacty right. I tried auto stores, Home Depot, a couple big Ace Hardware stores - nothing.
They all had lots of sexy-sounding lubes, but nothing with teflon. I finally made the trip to Lowe's, and it was right up front. Thanks for the tip.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 09:44 AM   #10
BobRederick

Bill
Let me/us know how you like this stuff. You have been driving a TM a lot longer than I and I respect your opinion.
Bob