TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
PopBeavers

Default Formica laminate counter tops

For the first time in a long time I searched for info on a specific topic and did not find anything. Formica and laminate.

I have some minor damage to the Formica/laminate counter tops. It is not on the top flat surface, it is on the edge piece.

The front corner of the counter over the fridge is damaged. I don't know how it happened. I think something bounced while towing. I tried gluing the scraps back in, but with it being on the rounded corner it did not work out very well.

The second place is directly in front of the microwave drawer. While the microwave was on top, DW slid the cabinet out and the rubber feet caught the lip and cause two small failures. There should be no lip. I will be sanding the edge down on all counter tops.

Has anyone performed any repairs such as these? I am looking for tips and tricks. I think I will try to remove the two counter tops so that the repair can be made while working in the garage instead of in the confines of the TM.

I have a friend at the office that says he can do it if I get the material. He says the material only comes in 4x8 sheets. I don't need near that much.

So, heads up. Check the edge on all your counter tops. If you can catch it with your finger nail then there is a good chance it will chip if you slide anything off of the edge. I suspect that we have slid the microwave drawer off any number of times with no problems, back when we did not have a microwave. I suspect the additional weight of the microwave on top of the drawer was a big factor.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Wayne,
If you are going to remove the counter tops to work on them outside the TM, why not take the tops to a local shop that does Formica/laminate work? You could select the color you want from their inventory, have them do the work they know best how to do, and not buy more material than you need! When they have completed their work you pick up and reinstall in the TM
Old 09-22-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
PopBeavers

The gu I work with will do it for a six pack of beer and I provide the materials. A shop is the other possibility.

The TM is a 2005. I have found what I believe is the same material, so I can get an exact match.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:55 PM   #4
goyisacup

Default Laminate top

I had the same problem. The factory worker who did the work, did not finish the edge properly and probably does not work there anymore. Call the Trailmanor factory to send you the laminate to repair the damage.